View Poll Results: Best Security Application?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Msafe

1 7.14%
  • Warden

4 28.57%
  • Teallock

3 21.43%
  • Butler

8 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    I am looking for a security application and I came across these four softwares.
    Which is the best security application according to you? What is the most important feature of it?
    Last edited by henry_wtc; 11/03/2006 at 07:58 AM.
    Each has their good and bad. Of the group, TealLock is being worked on and is in beta - the results so far are good. I have a license for it. I personally use mSafe and it does a good job. I also have Butler and it does an ok job. Of the three, I lean toward mSafe though TealLock has the most options.

Most important feature - turning off/securing it remotely.

Ben
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I'm of the opinion that mobile data protection is a big market that software developers are missing out on. As more and more people carry increasingly private information, increased data protection is a necessity. Honestly, I have trouble believing that handhelds come out of the box with so many features these days, while decent security is not one of them.

That having been said, there is very little to choose from when it comes to 3rd party alternatives. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the only program listed above that would protect your data against someone who knew what they were doing is Teallock, as it seems that it is the only program listed to offer encryption. The others simply lockout your handheld. No product that I am aware of presently is able to truly "wipe" the memory of any handheld, insofar as the information would be unrecoverable (see: factory reset).

I thought that PDA Defense was the best app available for mobile data protection, until recently when Good took over Surewave and ruined a great product with unreasonable license terms and horrible customer service.

I am looking at giving the new Teallock a try once it gets out of beta. Until then, nothing goes on my handheld that I wouldn't write on a postcard.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fly888 View Post
    I am looking at giving the new Teallock a try once it gets out of beta. Until then, nothing goes on my handheld that I wouldn't write on a postcard.
    You said it for me.. As far as Teallock goes.. I bought and supported it but the UI is crap and crashes my Sprint 700p most of the time.. It's off and waiting for a savior..
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    pollvote
    Instead of locking down my whole Treo, I use SplashID to keep my (and my clients') private info under lock and key.

Butler withthe remote SMS phone lock takes care of situations in which I lose my phone and SplashID has worked out great - and it has a decent desktop app as well.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Nice Tip... I will try it this weekend..
    Good point, I care less if someone got to play with my apps.. as long as they don't get my Personal data..

Thanks
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Butler will wipe all your data from RAM and from your SD card it you set it up to do so via a SMS trigger.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I've been dealing with trying to find a good security app for a long time- have tried them all, and basically gave up. However, I recently saw that Teallock has a new beta for a completely rewritten Teallock (6.0). I have to tell you, it's working *very* well on my 700P. No more delays, tons of options, and working well. It's a pretty advanced app, but they will now be offering a "simplified" version as well. Can check it out at: http://tealpoint.com/beta.htm
    BTW, I have absolutely no relationship to the company, other than buying the upgrade (7.95).
    Yeah, I've owned and used the app for years on my Sony PDAs. I have tried 6.x beta on my Treo 700p and they are doing some good things with this "total rewrite" as they claim. But I just can't deal and fret with the password / unlock on a smartphone. No matter how I tweaked the miriad of options, it made using the 700p awkward. I'll stick to Butler with the SMS "wipe all data" should my Treo get lost or stolen. Plus all my critical identity stuff is encrypted in SplashID.