1.    #1  
    I have had the Treo 700p for several months. One day my phone just started into the never ending reset. I did figure out that it was Docs to go. I was not able to get my phone to stop resetting. I had to do a hard reset but as long as I restored my phone to my previous user name it would keep resetting. I did another hard reset and created a new profile. I was able to get everything onto my phone that I had on my old profile. This all happend about 7-10 days ago, and since I have been using my new profile I have not had one lag, freeze or reset! I spoke to a tier 3 rep from Palm, he told me that there is a problem with the way some of the files that transfer from the 600 and the 650 that are not fully compatible with the 700p. I dont know if he was just lying to me to make me feel better. I hope that this help others. I am 1000% happier with my 700p since my new profile.
    One should never directly transfer files from one device to another, i.e., from 600 to 650 - problems do occur that way. As for lagging, it will happen though. I did a hard reset and installed all one-by-one and the problem persists, though not in a manner that I find troublesome.

Ben
    Yep, I've done some testing on this myself. Like restoring my 650 backup directly to the 700. I can live with it, but there are a few bugs that will not go away until you delete the saved_preferences...and even then, you will still experience problems because of calendar/contact info that doesn't get translated properly.

If you want to minimize problems, it's just best to start fresh. You can always bring over your contacts, calendar, notes, and tasks if you synch them with either the Palm Desktop or Outlook, by first performing a hotsynch with your old device, updating the info in Palm Desktop/Outlook. Then rename the Palm directory on your PC and install the new 700p software. You can bring over the old apps (.prc files) one at a time from the renamed directory by double-clicking on them...they will be installed with the next hotsync. If any of the apps stored data, you can also install their .pdb files and all that info will come over as well.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    What about apps installed on a SD card? Do you need to delete them and then reinstall them?
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
    I have had the Treo 700p for several months. One day my phone just started into the never ending reset. I did figure out that it was Docs to go. I was not able to get my phone to stop resetting. I had to do a hard reset but as long as I restored my phone to my previous user name it would keep resetting. I did another hard reset and created a new profile. I was able to get everything onto my phone that I had on my old profile. This all happend about 7-10 days ago, and since I have been using my new profile I have not had one lag, freeze or reset! I spoke to a tier 3 rep from Palm, he told me that there is a problem with the way some of the files that transfer from the 600 and the 650 that are not fully compatible with the 700p. I dont know if he was just lying to me to make me feel better. I hope that this help others. I am 1000% happier with my 700p since my new profile.
    could you download pbench and see what the data access score is? That way we'd know for sure if your treo was faster.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan View Post
    could you download pbench and see what the data access score is? That way we'd know for sure if your treo was faster.
    1) Faster than what? Unless he benchmarked his Treo while it was suffering from lags, freezes, and resets, what exactly would he be comparing it to? Someone else's 700p?? All the original poster is saying is that since he did a fresh install he has had no lags, freezes, or resets.

2) Data access speeds are just one part of the overall speed of an OS. My data access scores never vary from the usual 661-707 no matter what I do, and I don't have lags, freezes, or resets on my Verizon unit. I do get brief freezes when the 700p gets caught in Network or phone signal searches (especially as it bounces between EVDO and 1x), but that has absolutely nothing to do with data access.
    I have had my 700p for a month and purchased it used. I moved my contacts and calendar from my 650. Created a fresh install and then replaced the database files for those. Then reinstalled my datebook 5 application from the install file. My treo works well. But I only have datebook 5, google maps and dataviz 9 on it. I do use the mail application frequently with two mail profiles and the phone and dataviz and google maps. So far a great phone. Worth the upgrade from the 650 because the browser works much better and I can download my mail much faster as well. I did like the button layout on the 650 better but I think that this is an "old dog new tricks" issue not a problem with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan View Post
    Good question. People claiming that they don't have any lag are just full of it. It's all relative and difficult to measure without some sort of objective number.