Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    If you haven't seen the new gmail java app for your Treo, point Blazer to http://gmail.com/app and you can get it for free. My problem is that when I download the midlet file, it won't run. If I open the IBM Java VM app, it just sits at a white screen. KMaps still works, so I am not sure what is going on. Can anyone help?
    My problem is a bit different - my Treo states the file downloaded is the incorrect size. I just wanted to play with it; I access gMail via ChatterEmail and frankly I do not need another email program.

Ben
    I get that stupid size error too. I used to use VersMail but no threading and inability to delete from gmail server defeated the whole purpose of using gmail. I use the mobile browser version right now but I would love to use this. Hope someone can figure this out.
    What I don't understand is why google didn;t make a native version like they did with google maps! I have been avoiding using the jvm until now! I hear it's unstable.
    I have a 700p and java installed. I've never had problems with the jvm being unstable. Assuming the preferences are setup correctly.
    How are your preferences set up? Inquiring minds and all that... Ya just can't leave us hanging with a statement like that!
    try it now. I was able to install. I guess google did something.
    No luck here either, I can get the download link and it prompts me to save, save/open.

After it downloads it does nothing and when I run the JVM tool I get a blank white screen. I messed around with settings (memory, thread size) and still had no luck.

This will be such a killer app when it works!!!!

Now if Google would add Bluetooth GPS support to Google Maps on the Palm; I'd be verrrry happy!
    These are my settings. I've set them based on several threads discussing jvm settings and performance.

Check Double Buffering
    Check High Resolution Coordinates (you can uncheck this without problems, makes images look better)

Set Mem. Max <= 4mb (I use 4mb. Set lower if you have less free memory)
    Set Max Java Thread Stack Size = 8Kb
    I like it! Looks great....works nice, but not as good as Chatter.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    These are my settings. I've set them based on several threads discussing jvm settings and performance.

Check Double Buffering
    Check High Resolution Coordinates (you can uncheck this without problems, makes images look better)

Set Mem. Max <= 4mb (I use 4mb. Set lower if you have less free memory)
    Set Max Java Thread Stack Size = 8Kb
    Sorry for being thick, but where you can modify these settings? All of the menu items I see inside it all relate to the Gmail midlet (the only one I have).
    Quote Originally Posted by ricochet View Post
    Sorry for being thick, but where you can modify these settings? All of the menu items I see inside it all relate to the Gmail midlet (the only one I have).
    If you go to "Pref" in your utilities and go all the way to the bottom there are settings for the JVM.

I wiped all the Java stuff and am reinstalling now Palms site, hopefully then it will install, I realllllly hope so!
    Here is what I did to get it to work after it initially just freezing:

Delete everything related to the JVM.

Reinstall the JVM

Reset your Treo

Open up blazer to www.gmail.com/app

Download the app.

Open up the IBM Java app

Gmail will not install itself to your menu and you're good to go!
    I'd like to clarify my comment about jvm stability. I've never encountered problems with jvm stability when the settings are configured properly. However, I have encountered stability issues with some java apps not related to the jvm.

Regarding installation, I had no problems with the install. I went to www.gmail.com/app (in blazer) and downloaded the app. I selected save & open and everything worked fine. It also placed a gmail icon in the menu. Also, be sure to save to the device not the sd card.
    Now the question is - how to uninstall it. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by MDWeezer View Post
    Here is what I did to get it to work after it initially just freezing:

Delete everything related to the JVM.

Reinstall the JVM

Reset your Treo

Open up blazer to www.gmail.com/app

Download the app.

Open up the IBM Java app

Gmail will not install itself to your menu and you're good to go!
    Tried that. Still do not get the download link when I go to gmail.com/app
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I had the same problem, download app, save and open and get nothing but a white screen.

I re-installed JVM and checked the settings same thing.

I mailed the gm file to my email account and downloaded it to my computer and opened it. I was just a text file stating gm wouldn't work on a 700p.

?
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Tried that. Still do not get the download link when I go to gmail.com/app
    What browser do you use? I normally use Xiino, but got the same problem as you. Then tried Blazer, and it did show the link to download a Treo 650 version of this Gmail app.
    Pilot Pro > 2Mb+IrDA upgrade > Clie T615C > Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MDWeezer View Post
    If you go to "Pref" in your utilities and go all the way to the bottom there are settings for the JVM.

I wiped all the Java stuff and am reinstalling now Palms site, hopefully then it will install, I realllllly hope so!
    Thanks a ton, great.
    I get the following error: the app descriptor was missing the required MIDlet-Name field
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast