Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anyone figure out how to assign favorites button? Gmail app shows up in application menu, but does not show up when I got to assign a favorites button to it. Is it b/c it is a web-related app?
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Now the question is - how to uninstall it. Ben
    See attached screenshots (you had mentioned in another thread you hadn't seen the delete option, is this still true?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    This is probably a dumb question, buts whats jvm? I dont think I have it. do I need it for the gmail app? if so, where can i get it?
    I struggled with this for about an hour trying different combinations of playing with Java and the gmail.com/app options (download to card or internal, save and open, etc..). I finally got it to work. I'm not sure if it was some combination of the numerous steps I did, but as best as I can tell, the winning combo move was:

Delete all Java files (J9***)
    Reinstall Java using the files on the Palm site
    RESET TREO!
    Visit gmail.com/app
    download to J9 Exchanger
    hit "save and open"
    [at this point there was no indication that anything productive happened]
    open Java application from main menu
    Upon opening Java it immediately recognize the "midlet" in the blazer "temp download" directory and I got a "Progress" bar as it auto installed
    THEN I saw the Gmail Icon in my menu and I could run it.

I must admit, I was TOTALY stoked for this, but the looks are a little underwhelming. Lame generic box icon, fuzzy pixilated graphics- it's certainly wasn;t developed with the Treo screen in mind.

BUT, it's worlds better than Versamail and it offers more functionality that m.gmail.com, and HEY, it's free... so I'm happy.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Oh, PS- once it's installed and running, you have access to some program preferecnes under Menu>Settings from the Gmail program.

ADDITIONALLY, you can set the download permissions through Java, NOT through Gmail. So to do this open the Java app, and you'll see the Gmail "midlet" there and you can hit the menu key then go to Manage. Here there's a big fat list of all the types of data connections the Gmail program might have to make, and you can set the permission level on all of them. This will alter the number of times the Gmail program pops up a window asking "hey is it OK if I use your data connection."

Some of the options have an "always allowed" selection, but sadly, most of them will ask you at least once per session. I wish I could allow ALL permissions- I have unlimited data so I don;t can what Gmail does.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Thanks MoseGiganticus,

The delete, re-install java, reboot worked for me too.

I had about given up on it.
    The file below just might stop the connection nag screen. Ben
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Hey, where did you get that!?

I don't see it in the zip fiel I got from Palm. I'll give it a try.
    OK bclinger, how does that j9secpol work? I've installed it, but I don't see any accessible evidence of it on my Treo. it shows up in FileProg, but no under my apps menus and doesn;t seem to have an effect in the Java app.

So what does it do/how does it work?
    I had forgotten about the icon on the screen itself, buried as it is in an "invisible" folder. When I went roaming last night I noted it and upon starting it, I saw the info and played. The option is not available from the System Preferences area though. Thank you for the update. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    See attached screenshots (you had mentioned in another thread you hadn't seen the delete option, is this still true?)
    It is suppose to do away with the nag screen. The first time I used it, on the 650 bunches of months ago, it did not work, so I put it aside on the home network. After doing more reading, and on the 700p I tried it again and it worked. Amazing. The file itself will not appear under any of the apps menus - it is strictly a Java thing. More, I have no idea.

If you have the Java application icon on your launcher screen, take a look there through the various options. Java works on all of my Palm Treo's (600, 650, 700p) but with varying degrees of "sense."

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by MoseGiganticus View Post
    OK bclinger, how does that j9secpol work? I've installed it, but I don't see any accessible evidence of it on my Treo. it shows up in FileProg, but no under my apps menus and doesn;t seem to have an effect in the Java app.

So what does it do/how does it work?
    'twas I who hacked up the j9secpol file.

basically, java installs a version of that file that restricts the internet connections for unsigned code. I looked through it and found what values to set where so that so-called 'untrusted' domains and other access are always allowed. Once you hotsync it over, it replaces any older version installed.

I needed this fix for my java apps (see signature), I hated that popup.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Has anyone figured out how to get the gmail app to launch from a hard button? I don't see it under button prefs. Would love to be able to directly launch it from the mail button...
    I would say uninstall it and get instead install the gmail.prc in this thread:

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=127921

and you should be able to see it listed then.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    I've tried all the post suggestions and I seem to be the only one getting this error after indicating a successful install:
    Exception in static initializer:java.lang.RuntimeException:Missing strings.dat
    Cingular Branded,,,er I mean Att branded Centro
    <bump>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Has anyone with a 755P been able to download this app.? I have the Java stuff installed, but when I go to gmail.com/app I just get a message that says:

Sorry, the Gmail application does not work with this PalmOS5 device.
    The Gmail PRC referenced in gfunkmagic's post (above) works great on my 755p! I personally think that this is one of the best email apps on the Palm platform (there is no notification option other than by setting up a filter on Gmail and using SMS, which suits me fine). I like being able to quickly access and search all of my old emails (thousands) without having to store them on my device.
    Quote Originally Posted by neue View Post
    The Gmail PRC referenced in gfunkmagic's post (above) works great on my 755p! I personally think that this is one of the best email apps on the Palm platform (there is no notification option other than by setting up a filter on Gmail and using SMS, which suits me fine). I like being able to quickly access and search all of my old emails (thousands) without having to store them on my device.
    What is the advantage of this application vs. just accessing your Gmail through Blazer???
    It's worth trying it out to see for yourself, but the interface is very impressive. There are several keyboard shortcuts that make it very easy to check email, and delete or "star" certain messages one-handed, without using the stylus. Everything is much more readable. Seriously, try it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12