1.    #1  
    Java based

http://www.google.com/mobile/gmail/

it does seem to work but kind of ugly in my mind
    Last edited by pjr_atl; 11/02/2006 at 08:03 AM.
    it doesn't work on my 700p...when i got to download it...it says the filetype is unsupported.

any suggestions?
  3.    #3  
    Sounds like you don't have Java installed on your phone. There are threads hear that discuss how to do it but frankly I wouldn't bother.....Versa mail seems better so far
    Does it matter to anyone that you are giving the worlds largest collector of information your cell phone number? After all the stories about harvesting what are still, unlisted numbers, why would you freely give up that information in a web based environment?

I won't utilize those FREE ringtone sites for the same reason. But maybe because it is GOOGLE...

b.b.
    Works fine on my 700p. I didn't have to give them any personal info.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Works fine on my 700p. I didn't have to give them any personal info.
    Except your cell phone number for an invitation (I didn't have a gmail account.)

No biggie, I read their privacy statement. It is probably as safe as usint TREOCentral (grin)

b.b.
    It installed fine on my Treo 70pp.
    Jimmie Geddes
    How is it? I've been using the web-based one for some time now. Is this worth installing Java over?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Where do we get Java for Treo 700p. Just turned on my treo 700p last night. One nice thing about reading gmail in versamail is that the count of new messages appears on the phone screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave View Post
    Where do we get Java for Treo 700p. Just turned on my treo 700p last night. One nice thing about reading gmail in versamail is that the count of new messages appears on the phone screen.
    Go here:
    Palm Java
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    is this instant? like imap/push? or is it POP protocol?
    I currently have Goodlink on my 700P, through which I get messages pushed from my corporate Outlook account. I don't want my personal (i.e., Gmail) messages to come into my corporate in-box. Is there any way to simultaneously get Gmail pushed to my Treo, or do I need to keep accessing it via the web?

Thanks.
    Yes. Do a couple of searches for Chatter and Fastmail. But the short course is:

Go to Fastmail.fm and set up an account (free if you'd like, if you get a bunch of mail, pay the one-time email fee, it's cheap and no ads that way).
    Go to your gmail settings, to the Forward Tab, and forward a copy of all your messages to your fastmail account.
    Go to www.chatteremail.com and download chatter -- the best email client for the treo, bar none. (I've used them all, but YMMV. It's a $40 one-time fee, upgrades are forever free.)
    Create new account on Chatter (New | Mailbox) etc.

Now, when Gmail gets a new email, it quickly forwards a copy to fastmail, and fastmail PUSHES that email down to your phone via Chatter. Only issue is that when you delete it from Fastmail from your phone, that email will still exist on your Gmail account, so you have to do it again later.

But Gmail doesn't support IMAP unfortunately... but you COULD set up a POP account using Chatter to hit Gmail directly, but their implementation of POP sounds unstable from what I've read. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I can't seem to get to the page with the Download link. I have a Sprint 700p and definitely do have Java installed already, so that's not it. Everytime I try to go to: http://gmail.com/app, it gives me a Security Error popup: "You are attempting to access a web page that has an invalid security certificate (server name mismatch). Display this page anyway?" Whether I choose Yes or No, I wind up getting forwarded to: http://www.google.com/mobile/gmail/ and that page has no download links. Would someone be kind enough to post the JAD file for sad souls like me?
    With this arrangement, where (or under what function) will the forwarded Gmails show up on my Treo? Will it be on the same screen that my corporate mail shows up, so when I see my inbox, I'll be seeing it from multiple accounts, even though that screen has a Goodlink logo in the top right corner?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave View Post
    Mine doesnt do this. Is yours a Sprint or Verizon? Mine is Verizon...
    I have Sprint and cannot download it properly. Ben
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I can't seem to get to the page with the Download link. I have a Sprint 700p and definitely do have Java installed already, so that's not it. Everytime I try to go to: http://gmail.com/app, it gives me a Security Error popup: "You are attempting to access a web page that has an invalid security certificate (server name mismatch). Display this page anyway?" Whether I choose Yes or No, I wind up getting forwarded to: http://www.google.com/mobile/gmail/ and that page has no download links. Would someone be kind enough to post the JAD file for sad souls like me?
    I finally found a way to get it to work. I posted my solution in this thread.