1.    #1  
    I was considering Powerrun to store apps on the SD card. I don't need any fancy UI or icons .. just more free RAM.

However, I believe that Powerrun should not be used for programs that always run in the background, trigger alarms, or need to have some information synced during Hotsync's. Here are my applications and their considerations. Please advise if Powerrun would be worthwhile for me (and which one's I should move to the card in case I buy Powerrun):

[Edit: Only the bold items are in RAM after I moved the other to the card using Palm Applications]

Xpress Mail - syncs with Exchange server in the background (timed and push)
    2day - I suppose I could move this
    4cast - could get weather on a schedule, although I don't use that feature. It is a plugin for 2day
    BDicty - Has a way to pop-up in any application, although I could disable that feature if need be
    CardExport - I suppose I could move this
    CardKeeper - Runs in the background, warning if card is ejected
    Datebk6 - Has alarms
    Doc To Go 9 - Already has it's applications on card. It syncs documents on Hotsysnc. Will it work with the stub app moved to card as well? Will it be able to be a Helper app to Blazer?
    eWallet - Syncs with PC component on Hotsync
    Resco Explorer - I suppose I could move this
    GoogleMaps - This is a good candidate to move, especially if it's temp file can be on the card.
    IR Keyboard driver - Can I run this off the card
    Keycaps600 (Doomsey's) - Runs in the background
    Kinoma 4 EX - The real reason I want more RAM!
    Keyshades Light - I suppose I could move this
    LudusW - Runs in teh background
    Merck Mobile - Already has it's data on card. Syncs with Merck web site on Hotsync
    Maltin Movie Guide - Already has data on card.
    PalmPDF - Already has it's component on card. Needs stub to be a helper app.
    pTunes - Will it run in the background if moved to card?
    Snap - can this be moved to card by Powerrun?
    VoumeCare - Runs in teh background
    Zagat To Go - Has it's data on the card.

So, it appears that I will have very little savings of RAM by using Powerrun. Am I correct?

Thanks for reading all this. Hoping for some input from you all..
    Last edited by aprasad; 11/02/2006 at 09:27 AM. Reason: formatting
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I can comment on the following running from the card (with PowerRun):

Xpress Mail - probably not
    4cast - possibly since you don't schedule updates (not sure about the plugin)
    BDicty - possibly if you disable the pop-up
    CardKeeper - can't run from the card if the card is ejected
    Datebk6 - No
    Doc To Go 9 - No, it will not work with the stub app moved to card
    Resco Explorer - should be okay as long as you are not using it as your default browser
    GoogleMaps - Yes
    Keycaps600 (Doomsey's) - No (I'm pretty sure)
    LudusW - No (I'm pretty sure)
    pTunes - I think it will just no stream if moved to card
    VoumeCare - No
  3.    #3  
    If (and I'm not 100% sure about this) Powerrun (or other launchers) cannot handle Background apps or Hotsysnc, then I might as well move the apps to the card the old fashioned way. I did that with

2day - lost the capacity to assign a button to it
    4cast - it is no longer seen as a plugin
    Bdicty
    Resco Explorer - I cannot use the reset function inside Explorer now or it gets left in RAM
    Keyshades Light - cannot assign it to the side button like I used to

and gained about 4 megs. That leaves GoogleMaps as the only major app that would benefit from Powerrun. Maybe in the next version, it will use the SD card natively?

So, on the whole, should I invest in Powerrun or other launchers? I'm inclined to say No.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I think the issue is with the applications not handling background use versus a lack of ability with PowerRun or other application moving utility to support background operation.

The advantage to using PowerRun over installing directly to the card is you can control moving the app and databases or the app alone with PowerRun. Installing directly to the card doesn't offer you that choice.
  5.    #5  
    So, given the bold items remaining in RAM, would you advise using a launcher like Powerrun?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Well see my first response. Some of the items in bold will not work at all off the card. I would suggest downloading a demo of PowerRun and seeing waht does and does not work. The app is simple to use so it shouldn't take too long to figure out how.
    Don't think of Powerrun as a launcher, think of it as a helper to the stock application launcher.

Moving apps to the card the old fashion way doesn't move the related databases which are often larger than than the app itself, which is where a Powerrun or zLauncher come in extremely handy.

Xpress Mail -- that's in the ROM so you probably can't move it anyway

CardKeeper - Runs in the background, warning if card is ejected -- Keep in RAM

Datebk6 - Has alarms -- keep in RAM

eWallet -- SplashID moved to the card still hotsyncs properly, but eWallet might not, in which case you probably need to keep it in RAM

GoogleMaps - This is a good candidate to move, especially if it's temp file can be on the card. - Move it!

IR Keyboard driver - Can I run this off the card -- dunno, highly doubtful

Keycaps600 (Doomsey's) - Runs in the background -- Keep in RAM. Someone said it worked when on the Card but this just isn't possible (although refresh rate stayed when I moved it to the card temporarily, but holding a key wouldn't change to upper case etc.)

Kinoma 4 EX - The real reason I want more RAM! -- Move it, since it doesn't play in the background

Keyshades Light - I suppose I could move this -- You'd probably need to leave this in RAM

LudusW - Runs in teh background -- Leave it

Merck Mobile - Already has it's data on card. Syncs with Merck web site on Hotsync -- if it doesn't sync when on the card, I'd leave it.

Maltin Movie Guide - Already has data on card. -- Why not move the app too?

PalmPDF - Already has it's component on card. Needs stub to be a helper app. -- Leave it I guess

pTunes - Will it run in the background if moved to card? -- I believe it will actually stay in RAM if you are playing something and exit pTunes. I'd leave it in RAM though

Snap - can this be moved to card by Powerrun? -- I keep it on the card until I want to use it, then I move it to RAM, use it, then move it back

VoumeCare - Runs in the background -- Keep in RAM

Zagat To Go - Has it's data on the card. -- why not move the app too?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    On my 650 I gained 6mb of memory switching to ZLauncher. The trade offs are this: launch time due to the size of the application and related files.

Anything that runs in the background, responds to alarms, has to run on a schedule, interacts with other applications, must be in main memory. All others can be on the card.

2Day - it monitors things - though it can be on the card - just gets a bit flakey though. 4Cast - if run automagically must be in main memory, though for manual fetches, on the card.

Datebook6 - main memory.

Xpress Mail - probably not - the mail program will run from the card, but not if it is set to fetch at specific times.

BDicty - possibly if you disable the pop-up - if the popup is disabled it will run from the card.

CardKeeper - can't run from the card if the card is ejected - that is very true.

Doc To Go 9 - No, it will not work with the stub app moved to card part of it has to be in main memory in order to run.

Resco Explorer - should be okay as long as you are not using it as your default browser - true.

GoogleMaps - Yes

Keycaps600 (Doomsey's) - No (I'm pretty sure) (have not used this)

LudusW - No (I'm pretty sure) -- no since it just sits waiting to do a ludus thing.

pTunes - I think it will just no stream if moved to card - if you want automagical operation it must sit in main memory; if you want to stream with it, must be in main memory.

VoumeCare - No

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Well see my first response. Some of the items in bold will not work at all off the card. I would suggest downloading a demo of PowerRun and seeing waht does and does not work. The app is simple to use so it shouldn't take too long to figure out how.
    Better yet: http://www.vistabug.com/linkstart/

I am a registered user of PowerRun, but I prefer the free LinkStart launcher. Nothing to loose if it is free, right? Just download and try.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
  10.    #10  
    Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll try Linkstart and then Powerrun (smaller footprint).

Can Powerrun be installed after the fact and be used to move existing applications to the card? Does it use Creator ID to figure out what to move?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    It is based on the creator ID. If memory is a big factor, then take a look at ZLauncher - it handles multiple creator IDs, most of the other third party launchers do not.

Ben
  12.    #12  
    I installed Linkstart and now have 12.2 Megs free (from 2.5 megs!!)

Here is what my Treo looks like now, with the red items moved to the card by Linkstart:

Xpress Mail - I disabled Push and scheduled sync. Linkstart had warnings but it seems to be working
    2day - I suppose I could move this
    4cast - This is not available as a plugin to 2day or datebk6 anymore
    BDicty - Moved permanently to card and disabled the pop-up feature
    CardExport - Moved permanently to card
    CardKeeper - Runs in the background, warning if card is ejected
    Datebk6 - Has alarms
    Doc To Go 9 - Already has it's applications on card. It syncs documents on Hotsysnc. Will it work with the stub app moved to card as well? Will it be able to be a Helper app to Blazer?
    eWallet - Syncs with PC component on Hotsync
    Resco Explorer - Moved permanently to card
    GoogleMaps - This is a good candidate to move.
    IR Keyboard driver - Can I run this off the card
    Keycaps600 (Doomsey's) - Runs in the background
    Kinoma 4 EX - The real reason I want more RAM!
    Keyshades Light - I suppose I could move this but it's only 1 K
    LudusW - Runs in the background
    Merck Mobile - Already has it's data on card. Syncs with Merck web site on Hotsync. This gets messed up if moved to card
    Maltin Movie Guide - Already has data on card.
    PalmPDF - Already has it's component on card. Needs stub to be a helper app.
    pTunes - left in RAM
    Snap - Will move to RAM if needed in the future
    VoumeCare - Runs in teh background
    Zagat To Go - Has it's data on the card.

Overall, I am very impressed with Linkstart. Even though it says Linkstart Light, it seems to have all the features of Linkstart Pro
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    The advantage of a third party launcher is more memory:

-->I installed Linkstart and now have 12.2 Megs free (from 2.5 megs!!)

Here is what my Treo looks like now, with the red items moved to the card by Linkstart:

2Day can be on the card; but it will take time to load due to the fact that it has to look at lots of things.

--> 2day - I suppose I could move this

4Cast is still available as a plugin for 2Day and Datebook 6

-->4cast - This is not available as a plugin to 2day or datebk6 anymore

Google maps runs just fine from the card - takes a bit of time to load and that's all.

-->GoogleMaps - This is a good candidate to move.

Moving Kinoma 4 EX to the card means moving a bunch of files, 8 or so.

-->Kinoma 4 EX - The real reason I want more RAM!

Ben
  14.    #14  
    If I move 4cast to card, either permanently, or via Linkstart, it is no longer listed as a plugin in 2day or Datebk6. I was expecting that. Are you implying that it should be still available?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    I misread the post, the mind was in the wrong gear. You are right - since an application such as 2Day and 4Cast must interact with other applications, especially 4Cast acting as a plugin for 2Day, it has to be in main memory.

Sorry about that.

Ben