Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I wonder if Cingular is going to lower the price for unlimited data. Currently, it's more than Sprint, about the same price as Verizon. For slower speeds, they are going to lose customers unless they can be more competitive.

Too bad, was waiting to make the jump from T-Mo to Cingular. Guess it's on to Sprint and a 700p.
    I've got the unlimited data for $20/mo plan. i have no idea if this would cover a phone that uses UMTS, i assume not.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
  3.    #3  
    Current unlimited data package with a new contract for a 650 is $40/mo. They won't be competitive with Sprint if that is the pricing on the 680 data package
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    The $20 unlimited smartphone connect package is pretty much the same as the $40 unlimited pda connect plan I think the only differnce is with the pda connect you have your own IP address or something like that. Do some searching on the forum to find out exactly what the differences are I read one post on here that goes into details that are way over my head but as for me I'm just going to order the $20 smartphone connect plan. I will have to say that Cingular doesnt make it easy to know what the differences are between all of their data plans they will just try to get you to buy the more expensive plan.
    I looked into this once, and think the $40 plan is required for VPN (Virtual Private Network) support. The $20 one can be used (I think/hope!) if you don't want VPN capability. Not sure what the other differences are.

I "think" this is correct based on my trying to figure this out one day, but don't take it for gospel. I'm not even sure if we can get the $20 unlimited data plan on the 680 or not - sure am hoping so, as I'll have to pay it out of pocket in all likelihood and $40 would not be something I'm willing to pay just for wireless web.
    I'm thinking about getting the MEdia Max 1000 Bundle which includes unlimited internet and 1000 text messages for $29.99. Or the MEdia Max 200 Bundle which includes unlimited internet with 200 text messages for $19.99.
  7.    #7  
    Talked to the Cingular store manager yesterday who said the $40/plan was necessary for broadband access on the 680. He also said they price their data plans in line with Verizon, but couldn't explain why you'd pay the same for slower speeds.

Was looking forward to a 680, but this was a deal breaker for me.
    If you get an unlocked 680, can you just put a cingular card in that has the $20 unlimited plan for regular phones (dumb phones? hehe)?
  9. ads
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Not a cingular customer yet, but I think Tmobile, Cingular, etc all try to tell you a smartphone plan is needed when for many users it isn't. A store manager is the last person I'd expect to know what features and ports differ from $20 media net and the other plans. VPN will be required for many work/email situations, but not necessarily all, in the case where your work provides the Palm client matched to their server setup it may not be. Make a knowledgeable rep tell you exactly what features do/don't work with the different plans, not, "you need x" because you have a TREO.

Search for JackNaylorPE posts, believe he recently
    described some of this and his experience.
    ADS
    I have the $20 unlimited bundle with 200 texts and it works fine on my 600. I got my treo on ebay and just moved my sim out of my sony ericcson z500 and into the treo - voila!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    Nice! That is what I will do and because I want a red phone (or a white or possibly orange, mind not made up yet!) I will likely have to buy thru the palm store anyways. I will just switch the SIM and add the $20 plan.

Now another question: do the brick palm stores have the same price as the online store? instant gratification could be achieved IF the price is the same.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    My dad has the 650 on cingular with the $20 unlimited package and it works just fine. If they tell you that you have to get the $40 pda connect package then just add it to your plan via their website. Also as for the vdn capabilities do some searching on this forum and you will find some post buy a guy who explains this in detail im not exactly sure but from what he says it sounds like you can connect to most vpn's. I think it was in the "Cingular to yank $20 data plans?" thread.
    Last edited by burnsaa; 11/04/2006 at 10:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    I looked into this once, and think the $40 plan is required for VPN (Virtual Private Network) support. The $20 one can be used (I think/hope!) if you don't want VPN capability. Not sure what the other differences are.

I "think" this is correct based on my trying to figure this out one day, but don't take it for gospel. I'm not even sure if we can get the $20 unlimited data plan on the 680 or not - sure am hoping so, as I'll have to pay it out of pocket in all likelihood and $40 would not be something I'm willing to pay just for wireless web.
    Here's my experience:

I was on the $20 data package but I needed to set up push email through Xpressmail to my corporate server, which uses Notes. This is the only way I know of to get push email from a Notes server. In order for this to happen, Xpressmail sets up a VPN connection to the Notes server. Cingular will only allow a VPN thru Xpressmail with the $40 package. Or so I was told.

Multiple Cingular reps told me I needed the $40 package to do any kind of email and/or access the web - which we know from multiple testimonies here is pure BS. If you need a VPN for your email though, they have you by the short hairs.

Maybe someone else here knows how to get around this. I don't.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Sigh... lucky yanks :P Myself in Canada has a grandfathered in $50 for "unlimited" GPRS data... if I went with a new contract and wanted "unlimited or 200-250 Meg a month) I'm looking at $100 a month. I'd kill for $40.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    A couple questions; I would appreciate answers by those more knowledgeable than me:

A) I'm on the old, old 19.99 plan with unlimited EDGE internet-- did that come back, or is that for EDGE phones only, or…?
    B) If I want to keep this plan, will the 680 work with that old EDGE plan? I just want no stubby! How does one go about doing this, ordering online with the plan and returning the new SIM? Would it be more economically feasible to purchase an unlocked version (though I got my 650 unlocked through Cingular quite easily)?
    C) Or do others just bite the bullet, and get the new MEdia plan (did it come back?) and get the phone; it's UMTS? Faster than EDGE, by how much?

Thanks very much.
    io
    The 680 maxes out at EDGE speeds and won't do UMTS. I would suggest buying an unlocked and just putting your existing SIM in the new 680. That keeps Cingular completely out of the loop concerning your upgrade. If you buy it through them, they might try to move you to the $40/mo data plan.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Nicely done: thanks; that pretty much answers my rambling :P

So... we're all waiting for the unlocked 680s from Palm, if I understand correctly, yes? Is there a good source people have had good experiences with (and hopefully, pricing?)

Thanks.
    i've been using a grandfathered mediaworks plan... and been using my T650 successfully online.

i've been being phones on ebay.

if I ever need to call cingular I 'say' I use a nokia 6230.

I am so wary of buying my phones through cingular because they may scrutinize my features.

so your old media plans should work BUT be aware of savvy CSR who pay attention to your data plans.
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I have called Cingular at least 4 times and discussed my $19.99 / mo. unlimited data plan data plan. Recently moved from MediaNet to MediaMax 1000 twice. After 1st switch it didn't take. Had to call again and CSR kept me on line until SMS was actually working.

Both times we acknowledged the 650, both times they told me it won't work if I need VPN and if so I needed $39.99 plan.
    Wow... cool.

But, there we go again with the inconsistencies of CS... tho always glad when it favors the user =)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast