Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    looks like they upped the unlimeted pda connect plan to $44.99 ... bastards.

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp
    I saw SEVERAL different prices on their site, depending on where you look. (Don't have a link right now, but the $39.99 price is still out there as well).

Incidentally, the guy at my store signed me up on the Media Works/Max/whatever it's called now plan and didn't push the "PDA" plan at all.

I truly think Cingular has no idea at all what they're doing with these different data plans. There is no CLEAR answer as to why you "need" one over the other, aside from the fact they seem to want to bleed the Treo users (for whatever reason).

Cingular has a chance here to really become "THE" network of choice for smartphone users - IF they could just get it "right". If I were them, I'd have the PDA plan be for "corporate" users and enable VPN for company email, etc - and keep it at $39 since most companies would pay it if the employee needed "corporate" access. I'd lower the plan for "consumers" to $19, since most people who are paying out of pocket won't pay more than that - they'll forego alltogether. (Sure, there's the poweruser crowd, but that's a very small market).

The only real feature difference here SHOULD be VPN access. Or, just get rid of the multiple plan choices altogether. But they should not be even THINKING of trying to bleed the Treo users because they have a keyboard on their phone, over those that don't. This is senseless, since both PDAs and traditional phones now have "Internet" capability and should be treated the same.

All just my $.02!

- PB
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsaa View Post
    looks like they upped the unlimeted pda connect plan to $44.99 ... bastards.

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp
    I thought that's the official price but I thought there was also a $5 credit for also having a voice plan which got it down to $40. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    I truly think Cingular has no idea at all what they're doing with these different data plans. There is no CLEAR answer as to why you "need" one over the other, aside from the fact they seem to want to bleed the Treo users (for whatever reason).

Cingular has a chance here to really become "THE" network of choice for smartphone users - IF they could just get it "right". If I were them, I'd have the PDA plan be for "corporate" users and enable VPN for company email, etc - and keep it at $39 since most companies would pay it if the employee needed "corporate" access. I'd lower the plan for "consumers" to $19, since most people who are paying out of pocket won't pay more than that - they'll forego alltogether. (Sure, there's the poweruser crowd, but that's a very small market).

The only real feature difference here SHOULD be VPN access. Or, just get rid of the multiple plan choices altogether. But they should not be even THINKING of trying to bleed the Treo users because they have a keyboard on their phone, over those that don't. This is senseless, since both PDAs and traditional phones now have "Internet" capability and should be treated the same.

All just my $.02!

- PB
    I agree, they should differentiate according to corporate or personal use
    The retail price of my PDA Max plan that is showing on my invoice is $49.99
    So if I get the $9.99 Smartphone Connect plan with 5MB of data (enough for my uses), it would work with the 650/680? On their site it sounds like it would only work with the Windows Mobile Cingular phones and the Treo needs a PDA plan, but I can't imagine that the data knows the difference in devices.

Am I right on that? Now, if they'd just do carryover on the data volumes....
    FYI:
    You can do VPN on MediaMax. It just depends on the type of VPN.
    IPSec VPN (most corporate VPNs as well as "Antha VPN" aka "Movian VPN" on the PalmOS Treos.) works over MediaMax (the wap.cingular access point.)
    PPTP VPN doesn't work over some NAT connections including wap.cingular, so you must use isp.cingular.
    MediaMax = wap.cingular only
    PDA Conncet = wap.cingular + isp.cingular

The only difference between wap.cingular + isp.cingular:
    wap.cingular = NAT (private IP address) (behind a NAT router)
    isp.cingular = Not NAT (public IP address) (not behind a NAT router)
    Both are firewalled to deny unsolicited incomming traffic from the internet (blocks 'mobile terminated traffic')

The default setting on the Treo 650 and all phones + PDAs on Cingular is wap.cingular regardless of what plan your on. So if you get the PDA plan, you'll need to manually configure it to use isp.cingular, else you're conncting to the internet via Media Max anyway. So you might as well save the money if you don't need isp.cingular, and most people don't.

If you can get it, MediaMax is just fine for a PDA. Don't worry about getting 'caught,' as it doesn't work that way.
    In most cases you can just log on to your account on Cingular.com, click on "Add Features", and switch to the "Media Max" plan. If you see it there as an option to add it, then remove the PDA plan (and finish) then go back and add media max. But if it doesn't show it there to add it in the first place then don't remove the PDA plan unless you want to call and have Media Max added.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12