Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't even have time to get into the whole thing, but I've spent 45 minutes being told by sprint, essentially, that they screwed me big time and aren't going to do anything about it.

here's the short advice

DO NOT get the Treo700p. It is a pile of poo. I hate this phone so much it hurts my head. Both phones on my account are the buggiest POS's I've ever owned, and apparently, Sprint won't do anything about it. There's no firmware update, and I can't get them to replace the phones.

when you buy a phone from a cell company, and you ask for "total equipment replacement" on the phone, make sure 1) that they actually add it to both phones and 2) that it's a useful equipment replacement. Don't be fooled by the fact that the word "total" is in the title. It turns out in my case that "total" meant "we will totally NOT replace your ish if anything bad happens to it, but we'll still charge you a monthly fee for the meaningless coverage anyway."

the only solution is to have infinite problem solving time and be ridiculously wealthy.

I'm told it will cost $200 per phone to terminate my account with Sprint

any techie, telecom-y people out there with time want to help out? Here's what I need.

monthly budget = $175 - $200
    two phones
    smartphones preferably. WITH cameras
    unlimited data/web access
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited in network calling
    nights and weekends at 7pm
    obviously i'll pay for the phones

i can't take the 700p anymore, and now i'm on my own in replacing it. sprint will not do it. i may be ready to leave both the palm and treo lines. the palmos is probably dead anyway. i just don't know. i am seriously down about this entire situation.

is there a future treo or blackberry I should wait for?
    is there one I should try for 30 days?

if someone can swing this scenario, I will give you one month's bill as a fee once my billing is confirmed. if you can get the contract termination fee covered, I'll give you 25%. that's $100. I'm serious. this is some bull****, and I don't have time to go to law school and take the friggin bar exam just to deal with a ****ty cell phone company.

NONE OF THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY WORKS! THEY ARE BETA TESTING ON US!!

finally, if you manage to stab sprintpcs in the eye, I will kiss you, and I'm a good kisser.

holla. pass along. whatever.

i need help.
    - ag47
    There was a loophole to get out of Sprint contracts due to the text messaging price increase for some, but that ended yesterday per another thread. Sprint is generally going to give you the best price plans most of the time. If they will not switch the phones out for another model, I would suggest selling the phones on eBay and buying different models that meet your needs. If you don't need the 3g speed, the Treo 650s aren't bad.

What kind of issues are you having with the 700p?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Sell the 700p and buy a dumb phone. Sorry its too much for you.
    Last edited by whatever7; 11/01/2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Whatever7, can't you see he already said that none of this new tech works? I'll race you to the Sprint store to return my 700p since it's a total POS. But leave early cause all the millions of Palm and WM owners will be doing the same.

To our friend:
    Terminate the contracts (400 / 24 months=$17/month) and activate two lines with SERO for $30/mo each. That's $77/mo, well under your limit.

Of course, this assumes you'll like Sprint once you have a dumbphone.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Well if he get a dumb phone then he wouldn't be using the new tech would he? I didn't try to trouble shoot his Treo for him.

I believe you get your phone replaced if your phone is stolen and you have a police report to show them. There, don't say I am not trying to help.
  6.    #6  
    i lost it there. sorry about that.
    i think i'm just tired of spending so much of my time trying to make things work. i used to be the guy that loved that. now i'm just a guy who wants to actually DO things.

as for what's wrong with my 700ps (plural), you can search this forum for all sorts of probs. my main thing is a constant resetting, freezing and slowness. it's system/hardware not 3rd party. i've tested. i want the firmware upgrade. the phone doesn't do too well at being just a phone. instead it kinda sucks at everything. some of it's the palmOS. I was writing an email on m.gmail.com yesterday and pressed the wrong button. got pushed to the apps menu and lost all that I wrote.

i thought, "i'll write it in the memo pad and copy/paste." after doing all the writing, i copied, but the paste function didn't work. "clipboard limit of 1000 bytes exceeded." so that email stayed in the memo. they've built a powerful machine but crippled it in so many ways. simple multitasking would have solved the problem.

i liked playing with calendarshare, but it's not ready yet. i just keep trying to simplify. when I used my old sanyo and Palm V, none of this was a problem.

i'm less angry now and appreciate any ideas on getting my money back from sprint for screwing up my replacement plans. i'm stuck with a cracked and defective screen. no one on ebay really wants to buy that, and I'm furious at the idea of buying ANOTHER 700p even though I'd love to give it another chance. i'm not sure if i'll leave, but i know i want to.

i just want to punish sprint for putting me in this position. i've been with them since 1999, and am just disappointed as anything.

for now, i'll watch out for new blackberry's, rumored apple phones and reviews of the cingular treo.

i may try a bit of "divergence" and get a dumb/sms phone and a separate data device for email/pda functions

the tech isn't quite able to meet all my needs on the bleeding edge, and i lack the patience and time to live there, so i might need to lower my expectations a bit
    - ag47
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47 View Post
    I don't even have time to get into the whole thing, but I've spent 45 minutes being told by sprint, essentially, that they screwed me big time and aren't going to do anything about it.

here's the short advice

DO NOT get the Treo700p. It is a pile of poo. I hate this phone so much it hurts my head. Both phones on my account are the buggiest POS's I've ever owned, and apparently, Sprint won't do anything about it. There's no firmware update, and I can't get them to replace the phones.

when you buy a phone from a cell company, and you ask for "total equipment replacement" on the phone, make sure 1) that they actually add it to both phones and 2) that it's a useful equipment replacement. Don't be fooled by the fact that the word "total" is in the title. It turns out in my case that "total" meant "we will totally NOT replace your ish if anything bad happens to it, but we'll still charge you a monthly fee for the meaningless coverage anyway."

the only solution is to have infinite problem solving time and be ridiculously wealthy.

I'm told it will cost $200 per phone to terminate my account with Sprint

any techie, telecom-y people out there with time want to help out? Here's what I need.

monthly budget = $175 - $200
    two phones
    smartphones preferably. WITH cameras
    unlimited data/web access
    unlimited text messaging
    unlimited in network calling
    nights and weekends at 7pm
    obviously i'll pay for the phones

i can't take the 700p anymore, and now i'm on my own in replacing it. sprint will not do it. i may be ready to leave both the palm and treo lines. the palmos is probably dead anyway. i just don't know. i am seriously down about this entire situation.

is there a future treo or blackberry I should wait for?
    is there one I should try for 30 days?

if someone can swing this scenario, I will give you one month's bill as a fee once my billing is confirmed. if you can get the contract termination fee covered, I'll give you 25%. that's $100. I'm serious. this is some bull****, and I don't have time to go to law school and take the friggin bar exam just to deal with a ****ty cell phone company.

NONE OF THIS NEW TECHNOLOGY WORKS! THEY ARE BETA TESTING ON US!!

finally, if you manage to stab sprintpcs in the eye, I will kiss you, and I'm a good kisser.

holla. pass along. whatever.

i need help.

First off it sounds like a smart phone is not for you. Second the blackberrys require a different data package no matter what carrier you go with and its $49.99 a month.

I find sprints customer care to be the best and they are very willing to work with clam people. If you call up and explain you are unhappy with the phones and you would like to trade them in to get a normal phone I am sure they will be happy to do that for you. I just did this with my POS A900 which was my 3rd one since it kept crashing and sprint bought my A900 back for $350 when I only payed $200 for it when it was new they gave me a $150 credit to use for a new phone along with $50 credit for my time and I ended up getting a new Treo 700p after rebate for free (well not free since I paid $200 for an A900 but between the 3 of them I had an A900 for a year)
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Jesus...the guy is upset, let him vent. How many times do the fanboys have to blindly follow a dying OS?

agnok47....don't give up. I was where you were and, after 23 calls and 56 emails to Sprint and Palm, I finally got Palm to email me "yes, we are aware of the issues, no there is nothing we can do. sorry. good luck" (I paraphrase). With that, I finally got Sprint Retentions to say "we have heard of this. we feel the 700wx is a better device. we will swap you even".

I got the 700wx on Tuesday.

Bottom line, don't give up. You are a consumer and have the right to demand fair service. As you have found, there seems to be very few CSRs at Sprint that care and want to help. Keep fighting and, eventually, you will get someone who will help.

Good luck.
    Out...
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I love my 700p with Sprint!

I had one of those that came off with no SN and it took several phone calls and finally I just planted myself in the Sprint store but they replaced it and all has been well.

Call up, cancel, tell them you'll take the hit you are moving to {competing phone company}. They will straighten it out, if not sell the phones on ebay, you'll get your money back.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by toofgoo View Post
    Jesus...the guy is upset, let him vent. How many times do the fanboys have to blindly follow a dying OS?

agnok47....don't give up. I was where you were and, after 23 calls and 56 emails to Sprint and Palm, I finally got Palm to email me "yes, we are aware of the issues, no there is nothing we can do. sorry. good luck" (I paraphrase). With that, I finally got Sprint Retentions to say "we have heard of this. we feel the 700wx is a better device. we will swap you even".

I got the 700wx on Tuesday.

Bottom line, don't give up. You are a consumer and have the right to demand fair service. As you have found, there seems to be very few CSRs at Sprint that care and want to help. Keep fighting and, eventually, you will get someone who will help.

Good luck.
    u r my hero
    i will try
    you have given me faith
    - ag47
    Fanboys are like sharks - they circle around a drowning man and try to eat him. Hang in there 47. You're not the only one to be caught in the vice of substandard equipment; clueless, dontcarish, and downright mean CSR; and an airtight contract. I have had my share of troubles, but with persistence, careful documentation, and an act of God I found a way out.

And no - you're not going crazy. It's not supposed to be this hard. Products are supposed to work as advertized and companies are supposed to stand by their warranties. And above all customers are supposed to be always right. Even when they are wrong, they should be treated with respect. But we have fanboy tech whores who, for the sake of the next shiny device have put up with this nonsensical abuse and have trained these companies badly. They take the shaft and love every moment of it. Now we reasonable consumers have to take cr@p. Well, that's it. I'm mad as he!! and I'm not taking it any more!
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    sounds like you want a WM device. If you like evdo, tryVZW. If you don't need the speed you could go GSM, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm a rewformed cingularite and now roll with the network. I think there is a website that let's you out. Maybe celltrade or something like that.
    Otherwise, hang in there. I know how you feel. Its not right. This type of business needs to get purged, and will, during the next depression.Good luck buddy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I have some issues with my 650 and 700p (I have both on my account).
    - I am on my 3rd 650. The first died after 6 months and the second a year after that. Both started getting the same reset (chunk overlocked) error which could only be fixed with a replacement unit. Neither Palm nor Sprint would admit this is a design flaw. First one was replaced free, second I had to pay $60 to get replaced via Sprint Store. I suspect a design flaw in the Flash RAM somewhere - wearing out after normal usage. A few others on these boards have mentioned the same issues. Originally I had a 600 for 1 year, sold it to a friend for $300 (I had paid $299+accessories) - and upgraded to the 650 (only paid $300 for it, so total cost to me to upgrade was $0.)

- In May I added a 700p. Switched from individual SPCS plan ($50/mo) to family plan, adding 2 lines for my parents and a 700p for me. The plan now costs $110/mo after taxes, has twice as many features & talk time than we use, and got Sprint to basically GIVE me the 700p. Not to mention that the other 2 phones for my parents (freebie Sanyos) were free, too.

Bottom line, Sprint bent over backwards for me and I was not too disappointed to have to pay $60 for a replacement 650, granted all they had done for me in the past. I now have insurance on my 700p in case something goes wrong with it (I'm betting it will). My reason for sticking with Palm devices is because I have been using them since the mid-90's and have built up a collection of apps I use daily to this day.

I will point out that before going "Treo" I rarely experienced a crash. But since going Treo, I have managed to almost eliminate the need to lug my laptop ball-and-chain with me everywhere, and when I am carrying my laptop, can access the internet from almost anywhere using my Treo as the conduit. Not to mention all the new apps since going Treo : Bluetooth headsets, music player & streaming, seamless email, etc. Oh, and not once have I lost something due to a dead battery!

But if you are not tied to the PalmOS as am I, here is a word of advice on ditching your Sprint contract:

1. Call *2, say "Cancel" when asked what you want to do.
    2. KINDLY tell them you disagree with the price increase on the SMS Text Messages, and want out of your contract. This especially works if you have been billed for them (i.e., don't have a TXT plan or go over the allotment in your TXT plan).
    - AND/OR -
    KINDLY tell them of your problems with your handset, saying that it resets on you during phone calls, doesn't let you answer phone calls because of the crashing (i.e., the phone constantly resets then doesn't power on, causing you to miss incoming calls), and be sure to tell them both of your 700p's exhibit the same problem.
    3. KINDLY tell them you have spent countless hours trying to resolve these issues and have concluded the only remedy you see is to cancel the contract and switch to another carrier. If they try to tack on the early-termination fee kindly point out to them that they altered your agreement on the SMS price increase, and that the contract you signed was null-and-void at that time.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    The "SMS op out" deadline was 10/31, plus Sprint didn't even let you do it in the last few days. They just gave you a lower SMS price.
    How about the Blackberry 8703e? See if you can swap for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by agnok47 View Post
    i lost it there. sorry about that.
    i think i'm just tired of spending so much of my time trying to make things work. i used to be the guy that loved that. now i'm just a guy who wants to actually DO things.

as for what's wrong with my 700ps (plural), you can search this forum for all sorts of probs. my main thing is a constant resetting, freezing and slowness. it's system/hardware not 3rd party. i've tested. i want the firmware upgrade. the phone doesn't do too well at being just a phone. instead it kinda sucks at everything. some of it's the palmOS. I was writing an email on m.gmail.com yesterday and pressed the wrong button. got pushed to the apps menu and lost all that I wrote.

i thought, "i'll write it in the memo pad and copy/paste." after doing all the writing, i copied, but the paste function didn't work. "clipboard limit of 1000 bytes exceeded." so that email stayed in the memo. they've built a powerful machine but crippled it in so many ways. simple multitasking would have solved the problem.

i liked playing with calendarshare, but it's not ready yet. i just keep trying to simplify. when I used my old sanyo and Palm V, none of this was a problem.

i'm less angry now and appreciate any ideas on getting my money back from sprint for screwing up my replacement plans. i'm stuck with a cracked and defective screen. no one on ebay really wants to buy that, and I'm furious at the idea of buying ANOTHER 700p even though I'd love to give it another chance. i'm not sure if i'll leave, but i know i want to.

i just want to punish sprint for putting me in this position. i've been with them since 1999, and am just disappointed as anything.

for now, i'll watch out for new blackberry's, rumored apple phones and reviews of the cingular treo.

i may try a bit of "divergence" and get a dumb/sms phone and a separate data device for email/pda functions

the tech isn't quite able to meet all my needs on the bleeding edge, and i lack the patience and time to live there, so i might need to lower my expectations a bit

I find it hard to believe they won't replace your phone when the screen is cracked. I don't think your doing this process correctly... Everytime I've ever had a problem with my Treo I take it to a Sprint store and they look it over and tell me they'll get me a new one. That insurance coverage will cover that. Are you just calling them and complaining? You have to do that type of thing face to face if you aren't. And if you did go to the store and tehy wouldn't do that then go to a different Sprint store. About you canceling, call retentions, see if they'll get rid of the fee.
    When I got the $6 insurance, the rep told me I could run over it with my car and they would replace it. It should cover everything.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    i guess i must be one of the lucky ones thats been with sprint for over 8 years never had a problem and my 700p is pretty stable even after loading it up with a sh@tload of apps, honestly i think sprint has the best prices hands down for plans, even if my 700 sucked a$$ i wouldnt switch just because of the plans they offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Well if he get a dumb phone then he wouldn't be using the new tech would he? I didn't try to trouble shoot his Treo for him.
    He doesn't need a dumbphone he just needs one of many smartphones out there with an OS with a future and support such as WM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    When I got the $6 insurance, the rep told me I could run over it with my car and they would replace it. It should cover everything.
    they put me on the $3 insurance withouth my knowledge.
    i requested the full one.
    the rep made no mention of a useless "partial" insurance.

i'm still hating

thanks for all the suggestions. the problem now is time. going to several different stores and haggling sprint on the phone 10 - 30 times isn't a great option

plan:

trial blackberry pearl to see if i can live without palm. i'm drooling over the idea of again owning a phone that doesn't crash. how sad is that?

wait for

- blackberry 8800
    - possible iphone
    - HTC S620
    - bberry pearl on UMTS/HSDPA
    - ag47
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast