Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    TORONTO -(Dow Jones)- Cingular Wireless Inc. (CIW.XX) will unveil the Cingular 8525 Pocket PC Monday, the carrier's latest offering in the burgeoning smartphone market.

The device is Cingular's first HSDPA-enabled smartphone. HSDPA (high speed downlink packet access) is a network standard that enables average data-transfer speeds of 400 -700 kilobits per second. "This is our first 3G (smartphone) that we're going to be launching here," said Mike Woodward, executive director of mobile professional solutions at Cingular.
    And?? They did announce with availablity on the 11/16 (i.e. you can't buy it yet). What is the relevance of this (not trying to argue, just trying to understand how this relates to the 680)? This has been rumored to be released by Cingular since September and they are finally getting around to it. I tried the HTC TyTN (the unbranded version of this) back in September.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    TORONTO -(Dow Jones)- Cingular Wireless Inc. (CIW.XX) will unveil the Cingular 8525 Pocket PC Monday, the carrier's latest offering in the burgeoning smartphone market.

The device is Cingular's first HSDPA-enabled smartphone. HSDPA (high speed downlink packet access) is a network standard that enables average data-transfer speeds of 400 -700 kilobits per second. "This is our first 3G (smartphone) that we're going to be launching here," said Mike Woodward, executive director of mobile professional solutions at Cingular.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by dsun View Post
    I just got off the phone with the Palm Store in Century City (Los Angeles) and according to the sales rep, they will be taking pre-orders next week. I asked about the ability to take pre-orders without knowing the prices and he told me that they should know the pricing by Wednesday... Sweet
    On Expansys' US site, the 680 is listed but without a price.
    http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=142350
    On their Norwegian site, however, it's listed with a price tag and available for pre-order:
    http://www.expansys.no/p.aspx?i=137488
    ...so I pre-ordered it today :-)
    NOK3.359,95 equals around USD 517.
    To compare, the 650 is sold for NOK3.490 which is approx USD537 unlocked.
    All prices are without Norwegian sales tax.

Just thought you'd like to know.

-Christopher
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    And?? They did announce with availablity on the 11/16 (i.e. you can't buy it yet). What is the relevance of this (not trying to argue, just trying to understand how this relates to the 680)? This has been rumored to be released by Cingular since September and they are finally getting around to it. I tried the HTC TyTN (the unbranded version of this) back in September.
    Cingular has only so much new product capacity, not to say, bandwidth. It appears that it does not plan to use it up on a non-HSPDA device. After a month, Palm still has not found a carrier for the 680 and still are not selling it on their own site. We are still guessing at the prices.
    Well we will have to see what happens. I do firmly believe that Cingular will launch the 680 first. They have LOTS of places without 3G service, even in those areas with it their coverage isn't that great. They launched the Nokia E62 recently and it's not 3G. There have been lots of shots of the 680 already branded for Cingular. I think the uncertainty is when. I think the 750 is more at risk of launch this year by Cingular, but the leaked rebate form does show it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Well we will have to see what happens. I do firmly believe that Cingular will launch the 680 first. They have LOTS of places without 3G service, even in those areas with it their coverage isn't that great. They launched the Nokia E62 recently and it's not 3G. There have been lots of shots of the 680 already branded for Cingular. I think the uncertainty is when. I think the 750 is more at risk of launch this year by Cingular, but the leaked rebate form does show it.
    I assume that by "first" you mean before T-Mobile. Silly Season has been going on for a year and shows no sign of ending any time soon. Let's face it, Palm is now so late, and Cingular is offering so many phones, it is unlikely that they will pull Palm's fat out of the fire.

Like many others, I will not replace the 650 with a non-UMTS phone. I will not buy a non-POS device from Palm. If I am forced to move to WM5 to get UMTS, then the 8525 looks okay. As you point out, "their coverage isn't all that great." Cingular has time but it has all but run out on Palm; Silly Season cannot go on forever.

Perry, where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Like many others, I will not replace the 650 with a non-UMTS phone.
    Like many others, I will.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

I will probably buy one, rotating the 650 down to someone else in the office or maybe my son. Not having HSDPA is not an issue for us because Cingular simply doesn't have substantial infrastructure to use it on at this time. Tho they were scheduled to have 90% US coverage by end of 2006, they had to suspend their rollout to address merger issues. That coverage is now not expected to be there until at least 3rd quarter 2007 at best. On the plus side they are moving directly to HSDPA 3.6 instead of the originally scheduled HSDPA 1.8

In addition, for most business users, it's a non issue. For anything significant whether it be downloading or editing a large document most will look for a desktop / laptop to do anything significant as it's 30-50 times faster than HSDPA and you don't have to type with ya thumbs. If it's more than 3 sentences, you shouldn't be wasting ya time doing it on a PDA and three sentences doesn't require faster speeds. While it might be cool to sit in a hotel bar or lobby and type for an hour....a walk over to the hotel's business center, jump on the free desktops / laptops and I'll get that same job done in 10 minutes.

The multimedia crowd will most benefit from HSDPA and frankly if ya into that kinda thing, a WM5 device would better suit ya desires.
    I hope they fixed the whitescreen lag issue in the 680 that the 700p currently has. 700p users who upgraded from a 650 can justify the lag for now due to the 3G speed. Its going to be harder for 650->680 converts to justify the lag if its present. Considering they are designing this for the more mainstream public who won't deal with the lag, I hope they fixed it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234