Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well, to be honest they executed with Vodaphone pretty much when they said they would (Vodaphone delayed a week from their original date). Assuming that Cingular was the 680 launch partner, then it really seems like most of the blame is probably Cingular. Assuming Cingular is the launch exclusive (which all signs point to) then Palm really can't offer it themselves until Cingular is ready.

This is fundamental in the phone business. You see Nokia, Motorola, etc... do this too. I would love for Palm to able to sell to us like in the old PDA days but this is a different business. If Palm ticks off a carrier they are alot more dead then ticking off a few individuals here.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perhaps. However, Palm's track record is so bad that it is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Palm did not have to announce so far before they had a partner prepared to deliver. That looks suspiciously like they are simply trying to keep people hanging.

If Palm were really committed to its GSM customers, if they really were ready to deliver, and if Cingular were the problem, they could sell unlocked versions at list price and allow Cingular to announce at lower price and later date.

It looks to me like Palm is still executing its strategy to favor CDMA customers at the expense of GSM customers. Palm has not given GSM customers any kind of a break since the Treo 270.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Mmereos, what's the reasoning for making consumers wait for the HP 6925? They delayed it for several months, then only put it on the business site. What's the reasoning for leaking photos up the wazzo for the 8525 then not delivering? The Cnet review is out for a phone consumers can't even get!

I understand testing and all, but then don't keep baiting people then never deliver!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Did you see the document? It was a Power Point. It looked legit, although I guess it could have been doctored. It also mentioned the 8525 for Oct. 29. It has been seen, but still isn't available for general sale!

Honestly whmurray, I think Cingular is more at fault this time than Palm. Since they seem to be playing games with the HP 6925 and the 8525(TyTn) too.
    I don't think you are listening. "Internal Document". Not for public consumption. It doesn't matter what it says. It could have been someone's first draft. It could have been part of a marketing proposal. It could have been a lot of things. The point is, they never announced a release date. That is all I am saying. I know nothing about the other products nor do I care. This is the Treo 680 forum.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Thank you for bringing some sanity to this situation.

I have known for awhile that the Nov. 5th date was nothing but a false rumor but I am a bit surprised at the reaction by some now that people are realizing that.
    Internal documents often contain more insight than public ones. And Cingular rarely announces dates, but they sure do seem to leak a lot of photos, info and documents! This isn't the first time they've leaked stuff.

As for the other products, since Cingular is having "issues" with those too, it shows they have a problem. That's why I mentioned them. I can't blame Palm for this since it's Cingular with the release problems.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    Thank you for bringing some sanity to this situation.

I have known for awhile that the Nov. 5th date was nothing but a false rumor but I am a bit surprised at the reaction by some now that people are realizing that.
    Maybe Cingular shouldn't allow stuff to leak out with dates on them. Or announce something, then delay it for months(HP 6925). Or keep leaking photos, mention a date, and submit a sample to Cnet for review; but no product materializes(8525).

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    Perhaps. However, Palm's track record is so bad that it is hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. Palm did not have to announce so far before they had a partner prepared to deliver. That looks suspiciously like they are simply trying to keep people hanging.

If Palm were really committed to its GSM customers, if they really were ready to deliver, and if Cingular were the problem, they could sell unlocked versions at list price and allow Cingular to announce at lower price and later date.

It looks to me like Palm is still executing its strategy to favor CDMA customers at the expense of GSM customers. Palm has not given GSM customers any kind of a break since the Treo 270.
    This time it's Cingular, look at their record for this year(they were more timely last year). Everytime something is supposed to go to them, it's a long wait. When something is supposed to be released by T-Mobile, it comes out. Whatever other problems T-Mobile may have, they produce the product. They released the Dash, Pearl, MDA and SDA ON TIME.

Yes, I'm very unhappy with Cingular this year.

the Dash was delayed a couple of weeks.
    NTP suing Palm. This will be interesting.

http://news.com.com/NTP+slaps+Palm+w...3-6132920.html

NTP suing Palm. This will be interesting.

http://news.com.com/NTP+slaps+Palm+w...3-6132920.html

RIM should have never settled with these jackasses. I wish palm wouldnt settle. That is the only way to teach these bastards a lesson. Guess what now, they have ~$600 M to fight Palm with! Gee, thanks RIM!

Interesting to note though, USPTO has already rejected 2 of the 5 patents held by NTP.

The new lawsuit will once again raise questions about the validity of NTP's patents. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office re-examined them earlier this year and issued final rejection notices on two of the patents in question, essentially invalidating the claims made by those patents. NTP planned to appeal that decision in a process that was expected to take months or years, but it's not clear where that appeals process stands, as of Monday. Source http://news.com.com/NTP+slaps+Palm+with+patent+infringement+suit/2100-1014_3-6132920.html

I just hope Treos sales don't get blocked by this. :|
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Just lovely... good point about the 600 mil to fight Palm with now, thanks RIM (although I'm sure RIM isn't crying over this)

I imagine this won't hurt the 680... I doubt Palm will suddenly stop when everything is up in the air still... I imagine their "next gen" products are a bit more iffy now tho.

Selfishly... I just hope to squeek a 680 outa Palm before it hits the fan

Hopefully Palm will come up with an obvious argument to win and counter sue these bastards for damages for ohhhh sayyyy 600mil
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    The patents are being rejected left and right!!! If anything, the myopic timing shown by this potential lawsuit after a $612 million "Gift" should speed the rejection of the rest of the patents, and open up NTP for Palm for a counter suit, to take the money they got in the settlement from RIM. How sweet would that be?
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Maybe Cingular shouldn't allow stuff to leak out with dates on them. Or announce something, then delay it for months(HP 6925). Or keep leaking photos, mention a date, and submit a sample to Cnet for review; but no product materializes(8525).
    Ok, I'm a little surprised at your responses Phone Diva. Listen to what you are saying. Leaks are not approved by Cingular corporate, people get fired for leaks, and I'm sure Cingular does not allow leaks. Look at what happened with HP trying to hire private investigators to find the leaks, they ended up in HOT water. So any yahoo that works for any corporation may leak information, that doesn't mean it's real and it doesn't mean it will happen. I have not heard any public press releases or comments from Cingular about a release date, and neither have I heard anything from Palm. I have worked for companies that make products and we never discussed release dates with customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd View Post
    i'm not sure about the palm store in NY or Laguardia - But at the palm store in San Francisco - we'll have all four colors including the cingular edition.
    I just got off the phone with the Palm Store in Century City (Los Angeles) and according to the sales rep, they will be taking pre-orders next week. I asked about the ability to take pre-orders without knowing the prices and he told me that they should know the pricing by Wednesday... Sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by dsun View Post
    I just got off the phone with the Palm Store in Century City (Los Angeles) and according to the sales rep, they will be taking pre-orders next week. I asked about the ability to take pre-orders without knowing the prices and he told me that they should know the pricing by Wednesday... Sweet
    Is Palm known to take pre orders over the website? No Palm store here in the Midwest!
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by dsun View Post
    If you find that "sweet," then Silly Season goes on. Perry, where are you?
    RIM should have never settled with these jackasses.
    they had no choice, the judge wasnt going to wait for the patent office to make a final decision. he was about to come down with a ruling.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Internal documents often contain more insight than public ones. And Cingular rarely announces dates, but they sure do seem to leak a lot of photos, info and documents! This isn't the first time they've leaked stuff.

As for the other products, since Cingular is having "issues" with those too, it shows they have a problem. That's why I mentioned them. I can't blame Palm for this since it's Cingular with the release problems.
    Well I can see there is no convincing you. You go right on wanting to believe. For some people I suppose it helps. Not me.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Let the war begin!

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov 06, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today issued the following statement in response to a patent-infringement lawsuit filed against it by patent-holding company NTP Inc.

The NTP lawsuit claims that certain Palm products infringe seven NTP patents. All seven of the patents asserted are being re-examined by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) and have been rejected by the re-examiners as invalid. Palm also noted that the NTP patents disclose a pager-based email service that has nothing in common with the mobile-computing devices invented by Palm.

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=217480

Also, hope Palm doesn't do a RIM:

Palm respects legitimate intellectual property rights, but will defend itself vigorously against the attempted misuse of the patent and judicial systems to extract monetary value for rights to patents that may ultimately have no value at all.
    -----------------
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    Let the war begin!

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Nov 06, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq:PALM) today issued the following statement in response to a patent-infringement lawsuit filed against it by patent-holding company NTP Inc.

The NTP lawsuit claims that certain Palm products infringe seven NTP patents. All seven of the patents asserted are being re-examined by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) and have been rejected by the re-examiners as invalid. Palm also noted that the NTP patents disclose a pager-based email service that has nothing in common with the mobile-computing devices invented by Palm.

http://investor.palm.com/pressdetail...leaseID=217480

Also, hope Palm doesn't do a RIM:

Palm respects legitimate intellectual property rights, but will defend itself vigorously against the attempted misuse of the patent and judicial systems to extract monetary value for rights to patents that may ultimately have no value at all.
    Well, perhaps. It is clear that submission to thugs invites thuggery. However, the RIM case demonstrates that, at some point, submission is more effcient than resistance.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast