Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Here's a link to a special discount for TreoCentral readers that'll get you $5.00 off on Kinoma Player 4 EX. This link appears near the end of part two of my review which should appear on TC's front page tomorrow, but I'll post it here now for anyone who wants to take advantage of it. Note that this discount expires on 12/31/2006 and was created by Kinoma especially for readers of my review:

https://kinoma.cleverbridge.com/27/?...lk6&coupon=TC5

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hova View Post
    the Kinoma that came with the 700P cannot be accessed unless you are streaming something. How do you upgrade kinoma(embedded) if you dont have an application for it on the treo?
    SprintTV (assuming your 700p is on Sprint) is on every 700p on Sprint and it plays through Kinoma Embedded 1.0. If your 700p is on Verizon, then, uhh.. you don't have SprintTV but you can still get a discount. See my post above

But I still stand by what I said in my review. Even at its full price of $24.99, Kinoma Player 4 EX is an insane bargain considering all it does. The Media Guide alone is worth many times that, (it literally took Kinoma a year to assemble it..) .. in my opinion, and it's included with the program for free

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    the Kinoma that came with the 700P cannot be accessed unless you are streaming something. How do you upgrade kinoma(embedded) if you dont have an application for it on the treo?
    Figured it out. The link MarkY provided is correct:

1 You must access it from the 700p

2 When you click upgrade, it will, in fact, ask you for an email address. Don't fill it in. I repeat, don't fill it in. Leave it empty and proceed.

3 The system will detect you are upgrading from the 700p and issue a 15 dollar credit.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post

2 When you click upgrade, it will, in fact, ask you for an email address. Don't fill it in. I repeat, don't fill it in. Leave it empty and proceed.

3 The system will detect you are upgrading from the 700p and issue a 15 dollar credit.
    Thanks dude. It was too late for me though. I was so anxious that I couldnt wait to figure it out so I paid full price But hey, it's still cool though. I just wished it played my shows from Neuros more smoothly but like hrlaser said, the media guide is still worht it for me. I dont mind using TCMCP to watch my recorded shows.

P.S this is the second time hrlaser has written a review and I went and bought the product(Neuros, now Kinoma 4EX) I'm gonna have to stop reading your reviews, it's getting expensive
    "Bite the hand that feeds you,.......They'll always be impressed by the sharpness of your teeth."-Peggy Sellers (Miriam Margolyes)
    I've played with this(Kinoma 4EX) quite a bit today after reading the review. It's great for streaming content but when I tried to play some shows that I recorded with my Neuros recorder plus(MPEG-4), it was always choppy. It states that they made some changes to accomdate the scandisk v-mate for MPEG-4 but not for Neuros. So unfortunately I cant ditch TCMCP just yet. Hopefully they can fix this soon. The videos from Neuros runs so smoothly on TCMCP.

p.s Does anyone even use the Scandisk V-mate that they made the update for?
    I love the Kinoma app, but you're right I still prefer tcmcp for vids, and ptunes deluxe for audio,..

my biggest gripes with app is the scanning when you start it, I would prefer to be able to browse my card similar to the ptunes approach.... and no background play, if they get those issues worked out it would be a much better app...

but even with its few shortcomings... (IMO) if you're a multimedia treo user Kinoma is a must have app, well worth 24 bucks...
    Global Posts
    324 Global Posts
    Maybe it's just me, but I think 4EX is the holy grail. I don't *ever* want to have to deal with converting and transferring media to play locally on the treo, but I want all of my media accessible at any time. Kinoma 4 + Orb = problem solved. Granted, the bandwidth squeezes the quality a bit, but I just don't care. I've got live TV plus my DVR recordings accessible at any time, which I was relatively sure I'd have to go to Windows Mobile to accomplish. How this app isn't the object of worship by everyone who has ever used PalmOS is beyond me. Way to go, Kinoma.

* I should add that I'm using a 650 so I don't have the built-in Kinoma that newer devices use.
    Last edited by vebix; 12/05/2006 at 08:11 AM.
    20 Days . . . .

700P
    Kinoma 4EX

Ummmm.. . . .

Opps. . . better add an extended battery to that list. . . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by slthree View Post

Ok that works!! Thanks. now I need to order a spare battery and start exploring.
    Thanks again
    I purchased Kinoma after reading the glowing reviews here and on the main site. What am I missing?

Maybe it's too early to judge, but I'm leaning towards HEAVILY overrated right now. Streaming video is a no-go - every single video I tried on Youtube and GVids pauses several times on my 700p. What's the point if you have to endure 3 10-second pauses to watch a 60-second video? And streaming audio is useless IMO if you can't listen in the background.

What am I doing wrong?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Is there a way to try Kinoma before you buy?
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I purchased Kinoma after reading the glowing reviews here and on the main site. What am I missing?

Maybe it's too early to judge, but I'm leaning towards HEAVILY overrated right now. Streaming video is a no-go - every single video I tried on Youtube and GVids pauses several times on my 700p. What's the point if you have to endure 3 10-second pauses to watch a 60-second video? And streaming audio is useless IMO if you can't listen in the background.

What am I doing wrong?
    No pausing here on my vzw 700p. Have you enabled the stream to download option?

What's your 2wire.com test results?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    Is there a way to try Kinoma before you buy?
    Sorry, there's no trial version (of Kinoma Player 4 EX).. It has to do with the restrictions imposed on Kinoma by including certain commercial media codecs in the player. Some can be freely trialed, some can be trialed for a fixed period of time (a week or two).. some can't be included in trial software versions at all. What a mess a trial version of the player would be if you downloaded a trial version in which some things worked, some worked for a while, and some wouldn't work at all because of the restrictions of the licensors of the different codecs.

As the administrator of their Forums said over there:

QUOTE:

We know you are not happy about it, and frankly we are not either. In order to provide you with the technology that the features in this product provide, we need to go along with some rules imposed on us.

We asked nicely.
    We pointed out other examples where limited trials are allowed.
    We explained that this would impact our sales and make customers unhappy.

We were unsuccessful in our request to change or bend the imposed rules to let us do this.

So we are stuck. We are sure that you can come up with a million examples of how or why we should provide a public trial anyway. (We did as well) But the truth is we can't and it pains us not to give you what you want.

So go easy on us. We will do what is right to make you happy with what we have to offer. We will be as specific as possible to answer any concerns before your purchase in our web site and documents. We will answer questions through our support team. We will fix bugs and make the best product possible. After shipping Palm media software for four years, we think it's a good risk to bet on Kinoma, but we understand that everyone won't feel that way. So give us a try. We think that Kinoma Player 4 EX will be the best entertainment you have on your Palm for the price of dinner in San Francisco. But if you had that dinnner it would be just a memory. Our software will give you enjoyment for many, many months to come.

Kinoma Marketing

END OF QUOTE

Harv
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    I love the Kinoma app, but you're right I still prefer tcmcp for vids, and ptunes deluxe for audio,..

my biggest gripes with app is the scanning when you start it, I would prefer to be able to browse my card similar to the ptunes approach.... and no background play, if they get those issues worked out it would be a much better app...

but even with its few shortcomings... (IMO) if you're a multimedia treo user Kinoma is a must have app, well worth 24 bucks...
    Part 2 of my review went up this morning. Read it. I think you'll be happy when you read how Kinoma will change the startup scanning in the next update which they plan to release this month

Harv
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post

What am I doing wrong?
    You can't really get the full benefits of Kinoma unless you are in an EVDO area with an EVDO phone. Streaming video from the Internet will not work well in non-evdo areas. However, you can do well with streaming in Orb, because it will slow down the streams to something the cell service can handle. I can stream movies in Orb without any pauses in non-evdo. I can stream tv, with some pauses, in non-evdo, but the quality is not great, just okay.
    The biggest limitation is not being able to stream/play audio while exiting Kinoma to work on other applications. You can switch the screen off, but not switch to other applications.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    The biggest limitation is not being able to stream/play audio while exiting Kinoma to work on other applications. You can switch the screen off, but not switch to other applications.
    Yeah harv, you need to add this to the "Cons" in the review.

I'd also add that it doesn't support .avi or .ogg files
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    One other "Con" is that, .wmv video files are hit or miss.
    I get very inconsistent results from diffrent websites for .wmv video files. Sometimes they play fine, other times I only get audio and choppy video even if I play them off the card.

One curious thing, on the .wmv video files where the video is choppy but audio is fine, if I choose "Performance Test" in Kinoma settings that particular .wmv video will play fine but the audio won't play at all.
    Last edited by migs; 12/05/2006 at 12:42 PM.
    I like Kinoma a lot, but even though on EVDO areas my Sprint Treo 700p prefers to buffer rather than to stream the video even when there is no need to buffer. I wonder why is that?

Al
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    One other "Con" is that, .wmv video files are hit or miss.
    I get very inconsistent results from diffrent websites for .wmv video files. Sometimes they play fine, other times I only get audio and choppy video even if I play them off the card.

One curious thing, on the .wmv video files where the video is choppy but audio is fine, if I choose "Performance Test" in Kinoma settings that particular .wmv video will play fine but the audio won't play at all.
    Don't assume Kinoma is logging all these posts, although I know they are reading a lot posted here, they are not a monster company like Micro$loth and don't have an unlimited number of people to read every post and comment everywhere..

So.. I would suggest for the fastest response, you report any problems (or suggestions for additions to or problems with any feeds in the 4 EX Media Guide).. directly to Kinoma support here:

http://www.kinoma.com/index/media-guide-idea

Trust me, they listen and they care. And no, I don't work for them

Harv
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    I like Kinoma a lot, but even though on EVDO areas my Sprint Treo 700p prefers to buffer rather than to stream the video even when there is no need to buffer. I wonder why is that?

Al
    Go here:

http://www.kinoma.com/index/pd-player-4

And read the manual. In particular, find "Playing Streaming Media" about halfway down that page and start reading from there. I think your question will be answered

Harv
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast