Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    was eagerly waiting for an upgrade of the 650.

living in a part of asia, where no 7xx treo has been launched, i waited. and waited. and waited.

now palm with the 680 dares to launch an old OS in a slightly upgraded hardware. how dare. how stupid palm thinks we are? ok, they say this is a virgin's phone. what about the devout palm users waiting since years for a more modern, more capable OS?

after having enjoyed palm for quite some time i made the switch.

bought a nokia e61.

after some hours of rejection and hesitation i started to love this device.

solidly built. metal body. how beautiful it feels in the hand compared to the plastic treos.

the keyboard evenly lit, whereas the 650's keyboard is lit in a very cheapish way.

then the multitasking: the e61 allows parallel wlan, gprs and phone call, without interrupting the gprs or wlan ... can you imagine?

and you can go back to a webpage after you've surfed the file manager or whatever.

and guess what: the e61 first looks big and clumsy. but actually its easier to hold in one hand and operate with one hand than a treo. because its slimmer? dunno. just know that tha 650 looked kind of antique after having played some hours with the e61. everything is bigger, fuller, more solid.

nokia clearly is the leader in mobile phones. what they put together with the e-series is quite a thing. with the astonishing e61.

no touch screen? after two hours working with the e61 i wasnt even looking for a touch screen anymore. and yes, in the beginning the series60 OS looks stiff and unflexible, but just dive into it and a huge playing field opens up for you.

this is not to say how bad palm OS 5 is and how much better nokia's e61 is.

but come on. the palm OS treos operate on an outrageously outdated system.

simple to handle, but too simple for today's possibilities.
    Maybe if Nokia put a touchscreen on the E61,E62 I might just consider buying one.
    I tried out the E62 from Cingular and returned it. I actually liked the OS and running Goodlink on it. However, what I didn't like was the design. Just couldn't get used to the "flat" keyboard and it felt like a big slab in my hand and next to my ear. If a Treo was running that OS, I'd be all over it!
    Brandon
    True the E61 has no touch screen, but I got over that the first day I used it fully. The E61 design reminds me of a Blackberry. If so many people can use those "slabs" next to their ear, this isn't that much of a difference.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    he E61 design reminds me of a Blackberry. If so many people can use those "slabs" next to their ear, this isn't that much of a difference.
    Most people don't use Blackberrys. They display them, like cheap jewelry.

(This is not a comment on BBs, more on the average clueless corporate me too user, BTW)
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Also most people don't buy BBs, they get it through their companies', and end up carrying another phone in their pocket.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    ...what about the devout palm users waiting since years for a more modern, more capable OS?
    As has been stated several times, Palm currently are a hardware company, they use other companies OSes i.e. Access and Microsoft's. Maybe you should direct your frustration at Palm Source, who are now owned by Access, for never getting their act together with Cobalt. Of course you could argue that Palm were dumb to split off the software side in the first place....
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348 View Post
    Also most people don't buy BBs, they get it through their companies', and end up carrying another phone in their pocket.
    In Chicago they're actually using them.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    On my side of the pond we have the E62. I would jump all over this, but I hear the OS is so much slower on the E62. Can anyone with an E62 comment on this please?
    I have had E61 for a week. Ever since back to 650
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post
    On my side of the pond we have the E62. I would jump all over this, but I hear the OS is so much slower on the E62. Can anyone with an E62 comment on this please?
    Symbian is slower to open up some applications, yes.

One of my writers at MMM has an E62 and he loves it. I personally do not like some of the usability niggles as compared to the 650, but that is more a personal preference than anything. We both agree though that Nokia did a great job with the E61/62 and basically did what Palm should have been able to do with the Treo *for the 650.*

The real enviable end on my part is the browser. That is one fast and slick piece of software. If the PIM apps were *that* well designed then Nokia would sell too many of these at any cost IMO.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    symbian OS slower? what a nonsense.

blazer for instance, once its filled with cookies (which I had to delete every few weeks and reinstall all the passwords ...) blazer on my 650 needed around 10 seconds to open.

and did I mention that there is no reset button on the e61?

dont know how often i opened the back cover of the 650.

and no lose cable yet! dont tell me you never had an issue with the power or ubc cable with the 650 ...

anyway, i do not want to rant and rave against the 650, but perhaps some in here are in the same or similar position as me.

do the jump. all it took to personalize the e61 was a day. including DUN-networking over a mac powerbook, isync - and there's quite some software out there!

palm proved once again that with their "new" 680 they remain living in the past. basically no major development over the past at least two years.

but once cobalt is out and running why not moving back!

oh, and forgot: opera's mobile browser for S60, hmmm.

what, the screen of the e61 is smaller than the treo's with only 240x320 pixels?

you got it, but somehow that browser (and mainly the built-in browser) manage to give more content on the screen.

which is also valid for the menu. its simply a much more clever use of those available pixels.

the 320x320 screen was a last reason to wait for the 680. but forget that argument. its a no-brainer once you've seen the other possibilities.
    Cyber: Palm didnt fail with Cobalt, PalmSource didnt deliever, hence the current OS situation. I personally have written about this a few times here and so won't repeat the whole thing.

You do have a point about the E61/62 series being a better device. No one really does debate that. Where people debate is whether it is a better device for them (blind question or not) and whether they want to spend the time into looking towards another device.

Personally speaking, never a Nokia, Sony Ericsson makes pretty handsets and when they get the M600 right, I shall be right in line
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I would buy the e61 in an instant if not for the wide form factor.
    Actually, from my experience Symbian is slow to open the phone log and application manager. And one more app which I can't remember at this time. Not that it's that big of a deal since I feel more comfortable on the E61 than I did with the 650, believe it or not.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    antoine: the m600 is a beauty, just the lack of EDGE kept me from buying it, otherwise that would be it. splendid design and functionalities.

japorms: that factor also kept me away from the e61. when i saw it the first time i just laughed at that flat brick. but hey, its easier in the hand than the 650. why? not that thick - and the slightly broader width makes typing faster. the e61 keyboard is clearly superior, anyone will make less typing mistakes.

but anyhow, maybe palm is able to win a substantial new followership with the 680 and cobalt may finally become a reality.

i wish them best and lots of worldwide success with the 680. at least me i dont have to worry anymore about an urgent upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    As has been stated several times, Palm currently are a hardware company, they use other companies OSes i.e. Access and Microsoft's. Maybe you should direct your frustration at Palm Source, who are now owned by Access, for never getting their act together with Cobalt. Of course you could argue that Palm were dumb to split off the software side in the first place....

You can't blame ACCESS for the current state of POS. ACCESS bought PalmSource after Cobalt was in active (and needless) development for some time.

And I think, it is damn good that Palm split of PalmSource. Atleast we will get something modern now. Looks like ACCESS will get ALP right.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    oops just saw there is another thread in the 750v forum about the e61:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...93#post1116793
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    You can't blame ACCESS for the current state of POS.
    Did I say you should I stated that Access now own Palm Source which of course they do
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast