Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cyber View Post
    dont tell me you never had an issue with the power or ubc cable with the 650 ...
    I've never had an issue with any cable coming loose.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    of course the e61 has the advantage over the treo 650. wasn't the treo 650 released 3 years ago?
    Hey cyber, what is the level of aftermarket software support for the E61? Is it comparable to the thousands of software titles you can use on a 650?

I just got my 650 two months ago and I am now starting to think I didn't buy such a great device after reading your feedback.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    There is a lot less third party software for Symbian. Handango has about 400+ for Series 60 3rd Edition, which is what the e61 uses. But then it doesn't need thousands, IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    IMHO what it always boils down to is habit and personal preference. Some users, like me, have used Palm devices since the first Palm Pilot 1000 back in 1996. The ease of use and my familiarity with the interface coupled with the years of investment in Palm software make the 680 a no brainer for people like me.

The other fact is that I've had my 650 since it was first introduced. I travel heavily on business and work from home. My 650 is not only my mobile phone but also my office phone. Add to that the use of my Treo to play music, track my calendar (both business and personal), mobile personal email (I have a BB for business mail) and other applications, I go through a device every 12 - 18 months. After paying over $600 for the 650, the price of a 680 ($400)seems like a bargain.

It may be what some characterize as only a slight upgrade from the 650, but the antenna-less form factor, the double memory and a year's warranty make it a no-brainer for me. WiFI and super-fast download speeds would be nice but aren't deal breakers for me.

I suspect that Palm will do well with the 680.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    Hey cyber, what is the level of aftermarket software support for the E61? Is it comparable to the thousands of software titles you can use on a 650?

I just got my 650 two months ago and I am now starting to think I didn't buy such a great device after reading your feedback.
    surely you bought a nice phone, no worries, just a very limited one according to current standards.

the available software surely is a big plus for the palm devices. for my treo i bought snappermail and agendus, because i felt the standard software included by palm just didnt do it.

for the e61 i havent had the need to buy anything yet - except opera, which i love since many years on windows, mac, whatever.

but then imagine: on the e61 i can have several data transfers open, a call comes in while browsing the net ... and all works smoothly.

the 650 is a dinosaurier compared to, but as we all know where easy to handly. besides the constant resets not much can go wrong.
    Everyone is missing 1 big thing about Nokia and the Symbian OS. They do not make it easy to synch data to your PC. The Nokia PC suite is very limited with what it can share between Outlook, etc. This is the biggest reason why I pause. If they would reach out to accomodate N. America and make it easier to synch data to and from their devices, I would reconsider. Palm OS in contrast is much more flexible in this regard.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    What does it not share that it should?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    You cannot synch any task or note items. The contact fields that synch are very limited. Even the calendar data synchs dates only (no attached notes, etc.) Also, using Nokia PC Suite requires synching first to this proprietary software and then having to arrange a conduit to Outlook for the partial data I have mentioned above.

I have long felt that Nokia could clean up in North America if they would just "un-European" themselves a bit in order to accomodate the preferences of most of us in the US. This limited Symbian synching business has always been a deal buster for me and this is regrettable because I love the reliable RF of their phones. Their GSM radios are among the best out there. They just need to make some tweaks to their Software.

-THP
    Think First, ask questions later!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus Man View Post
    You cannot synch any task or note items. The contact fields that synch are very limited. Even the calendar data synchs dates only (no attached notes, etc.) Also, using Nokia PC Suite requires synching first to this proprietary software and then having to arrange a conduit to Outlook for the partial data I have mentioned above.

I have long felt that Nokia could clean up in North America if they would just "un-European" themselves a bit in order to accomodate the preferences of most of us in the US. This limited Symbian synching business has always been a deal buster for me and this is regrettable because I love the reliable RF of their phones. Their GSM radios are among the best out there. They just need to make some tweaks to their Software.

-THP
    Hi Nautilus Man,

I have to slightly disagree with your description. I do have a Nokia E61 (came from an MDA Vario and Treo 600 before), which I really like for its form factor and stability of OS - and it does sync tasks. However, you are correct that this is limited, for example I have no way of seeing categories in tasks. Furthermore, it does sync many of the standard categories in Contacts - and it allows you to add quite a lot more on the phone if you need to.

What the Nokia is missing for me at this point is better support from 3rd party software developers in terms of its Calendar applications..

Other than that though, the form factor is great (nice big screen, thin, relatively light weight), excellent keyboard, robust OS, excellent email and browsing capabilities, and great battery life. I personally see all Series60 devices (E50, E61, E70 especially) as excellent devices for those who want a phone first (they are Nokia's afterall!) that they can depend on (no resets, great reception, strong battery) but that also need basic calendar / tasks / email support functions.

Just thought I'd add the above info for those considering this device as well.

L
    Last edited by Loukas; 11/03/2006 at 06:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    just a short update.

installed and uninstalled a ton of 3rd party applications so far on the e61.

easiest removal. slightly remembering those 3rd party issues on the 650 ...

a whole new different world over here at symbian S60 3rd ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12