1. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I've been doing my research on the options for car audio and these seem to be the options:

FM transmitter
    Method: Uses car cigarette adapter for power, transmits on FM band
    Sound: worst, some compare it to an AM station
    $40 - AFT-100 has the best reviews
    $30 - Belkin Tunecast II has second best reviews, available on eBay for $20-25

Hardwired FM modulator
    Method: Uses the car's electrical system and connects directly into the stereo’s FM antenna socket. For this reason installation should be done professionally.
    Sound: a better frequency response and a signal with less interference that is less lightly to fade.
    I did not research this due to the difficulty in installation and marginal sound quality benefit.

Auxiliary Input Converter
    Method: Connects to car stereos' CD changer port to create an AUX port (RCA cables) that can then be converted to a standard audio jack. Installation probably requires unscrewing and pulling out radio, but can be done manually using picture tutorials.
    Sound: Best, closest to the tape adapter and best option available for Treo currently. CD quality
    $60-90 - PIE/Blitzsafe depending on vehicle. Mine is the $70 P.I.E. CHRY02-AUX for an '03 Jeep Liberty Renegade.

So I hope you can all benefit from this. I am also posting it to get feedback on any of these devices, hear about more, or if there are errors in the post. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by aph View Post
    I've been doing my research on the options for car audio and these seem to be the options:

FM transmitter
    Method: Uses car cigarette adapter for power, transmits on FM band
    Sound: worst, some compare it to an AM station
    $40 - AFT-100 has the best reviews
    $30 - Belkin Tunecast II has second best reviews, available on eBay for $20-25

Hardwired FM modulator
    Method: Uses the car's electrical system and connects directly into the stereo’s FM antenna socket. For this reason installation should be done professionally.
    Sound: a better frequency response and a signal with less interference that is less lightly to fade.
    I did not research this due to the difficulty in installation and marginal sound quality benefit.

Auxiliary Input Converter
    Method: Connects to car stereos' CD changer port to create an AUX port (RCA cables) that can then be converted to a standard audio jack. Installation probably requires unscrewing and pulling out radio, but can be done manually using picture tutorials.
    Sound: Best, closest to the tape adapter and best option available for Treo currently. CD quality
    $60-90 - PIE/Blitzsafe depending on vehicle. Mine is the $70 P.I.E. CHRY02-AUX for an '03 Jeep Liberty Renegade.

So I hope you can all benefit from this. I am also posting it to get feedback on any of these devices, hear about more, or if there are errors in the post. Thanks.

Excellent summary. I try to explain it that way when talking to potential customers. I'd rather they knew the drawbacks before the purchase rather than after.
    If possible Id like people to weigh in on Stereo BT options for the car too!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    There are two other ommisions:
    1) Many cars have axillary inputs (3.5mm), a simple 2.5mm to 3.5mm M/M cable takes care of the audio and I'm sure it is about the same as the Blitzsafe.
    2) This GROM audio adapter (http://gromaudio.com/palm.html) seems really interesting, but maybe a little too bleeding edge. There are limited car availablity, but you get control of the Treo via the steeringwheel buttons.
  5. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Yes, some cars have AUX as a 3.5mm, some have it as an RCA. In either case there are converter cables to 2.5mm for under $5 shipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by gruswitz View Post
    2) This GROM audio adapter (http://gromaudio.com/palm.html) seems really interesting, but maybe a little too bleeding edge. There are limited car availablity, but you get control of the Treo via the steeringwheel buttons.
    We're working on extending car coverage, so Chrysler, Renault, Nissan and Mazda should become available shortly.
    Also to mention that there will be special cable which you can use for phone handsfree operation (PalmOS devcies so far). On most cars it will support accept/reject phone call functionality but on some cars that support text it will be possible to see who's calling and also dial from the car stereo.
    Last edited by jbors; 11/01/2006 at 04:34 PM.