1.    #1  
    I jsut got my 700p in the mail, not even activated yet. If the 700p is as BAD as this forum makes it seem...did I jsut make a $350 mistake? If so...I am fairly certain I can get Sprint to trade it out for a 700w. I am a business customer and my sprint rep is great.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    I jsut got my 700p in the mail, not even activated yet. If the 700p is as BAD as this forum makes it seem...did I jsut make a $350 mistake? If so...I am fairly certain I can get Sprint to trade it out for a 700w. I am a business customer and my sprint rep is great.
    If you are upgrading from the 650 to 700p I think you did NOT make a mistake. There will be things you lOVE, and things that frustrate you (as there were with the 650).

But the question is not should you go to a 700 from 650. It should be do you want a 700W or 700P. I have used the 700W and the thing you notice most is how much they missed the boat on hardware/software integration. The 700P is SO much easier to use, and better integrated, in my opinion.

And I saw your other post... YES the chargers, cradles, cables etc should all work with the 700P as it did with the 650.

MM
  3.    #3  
    Yes, its an upgrade from my 650, sorry for not stating that earlier. And I am not a big user of 3rd party apps. Pretty much the only 3rd party apps I will use are PdaNet and TomTom 6. Not sure if that makes a difference in the stability/reliability of the 700p. Ive been a treo user since just after the 600 came out (got it exactly 2 weeks after it was released for Sprint, so I am both used to and fairly happy with the POS in general. As long as the bugs are killer, I'd rather have a POS than WM. They keys for me are things like:

Call quality, Text Messaging, Bluetooth for my headset and GPS, camera, etc...nothing heavy duty...I dont even really use it for e-mail, I'm a gmail user and just use their mobile website, so pop mail isnt even a big concern.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i honestly dont think you made a bad decision on choosing a 700p. i'm a palm os user since palm III. i purchased a 700w and was not happy with the memory leak and it constantly crashed and required a soft reset. i since then traded in my 700w for a 700p and i love it. never going to look back again.
    I think it's hard to decide if you made a mistake if you haven't activated and used the device yet. You really can't make an assumption by what goes on with this forum. Remember, people on this forum are a tiny fraction of Treo users and many come here looking for a solution to a problem.

If you were/are happy with the 650, I think you'll be more so with the 700p. Assuming you are in good with your Sprint rep, you have nothing to lose by trying it out for a few days. BTW, TomTom works fine with the 700p and I find call quality to be better then my old 650. Bluetooth seems better, connects faster, and the Palm threaded text messaging is the best in the business.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Well, fwiw, Sprint screwed up and sent me a 700wx by mistake. I tried it for the weekend and could not wait to get what I ordered, 700p. I have been setting up everything today and it is a nice relief to be back on palm and there are a lot of nice improvements from the 650.

Bust that sucker and open!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I'd encourage you to read the following post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=127093

You'll see that, despite the flaws in the 700p (yes, it's not perfect ) once you start using it it will be very hard not to admit that, hands-down, the 700p is the best all-around smartphone.

And no, you have not made a mistake... actually you have made the right decision...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    The only thing I see that may be a problem is the bluetooth, but who knows, you will only find out one way...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc View Post
    Yes, its an upgrade from my 650, sorry for not stating that earlier. And I am not a big user of 3rd party apps. Pretty much the only 3rd party apps I will use are PdaNet and TomTom 6. Not sure if that makes a difference in the stability/reliability of the 700p. Ive been a treo user since just after the 600 came out (got it exactly 2 weeks after it was released for Sprint, so I am both used to and fairly happy with the POS in general. As long as the bugs are killer, I'd rather have a POS than WM. They keys for me are things like:

Call quality, Text Messaging, Bluetooth for my headset and GPS, camera, etc...nothing heavy duty...I dont even really use it for e-mail, I'm a gmail user and just use their mobile website, so pop mail isnt even a big concern.

There will be tradeoffs. SMS on the 700W is not as good as on 700P. Read the recent strings about how you may NOT be able to send text messages to a non sprint phone

But again, that is a 700p vs 700W question.

The Bluetooth on the 700P may annoy you, so be warned. Unless they fixed it in newer phones, it's frustrating to use. Plus, if the Bluetooth is quirky, this will impact TomTom too (unless you are hard wired).

So I would keep my 650 while I tried out the 700, just in case.

MM
    I did regret purchasing the 700p, had I known the 700wx was coming I probably would have waited for it. I purchased the wx as soon as it came out, and I've been extremely impressed by it since (except for the SMS problem )

That said, your needs make me think you'd be happier with the 700p. I can think of one exception, TomTom. I loved that app on the 650 & 700p but it was extremely aggravating that I couldn't switch back and forth between Directory Assistant to TomTom to set custom favorites from a lookup. While multitasking is very cool (TCPMP works in the background, for example) for a power user like me, I wouldn't recommend WM to anyone unless I really think they'd benefit.
    You (the original poster) need to read a few more posts. There are several threads about people who love their 700Ps. Remember that, for the most part, the people who post here are those who are unhappy. The many thousands that have no problems don't bother to post much.

My 700P is perfect. (Just don't use VersaMail. That seems to be responsible for most of the slowdown / lag problems with this phone. Use Chatter or Snapper, instead.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.