Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    So whats going to happen on Nov 5th, do I need to wait in line outside the Cingular store on a Sunday to buy one, will they have them (680) or just tell us when we can expect them.
    I want the unlocked one from Palm! I hope they start selling them at the same time as Cingular gets them, or thereabouts. This will be quite an upgrade from my 600, which is still going strong and wonderful!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    The Palm store launch is what I'm waiting for too. I bet it'll be at least a few more weeks tho for us non Cingular ppl
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    Stopped at the Airport Wireless/Palm stores in both New York-JFK and Washington Reagan airports today and neither knew about any release dates for the 680, Cingular or unlocked. New York said they hadn't received any promotional materials yet, so a release in the next week or two is "unlikely."

Wow that sounds bad! These stores had stock of the 700wx sell before Sprint started selling it.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    One main thing I don't like about Palm is they don't always communicate properly about their releases. Except for the 750v and the 700w. We got no real timetable from Palm about the 680.

They handled the 700wx well in that they started selling within the same week they announced, so no one was waiting if they wanted one. BUT they also sprang it on us unexpectedly. Can we ever get a happy medium from Palm, except for the 750v and 700w? Looks like they are somewhat starting to favor the WM phones over the Palm OS phones, in terms of how fast they get the phones out and how accurate they are about release dates.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I doubt you will even be able to get your hands on a 680 and any Cingular location for at least 15-20 days after they give a release date. Here is why I feel this way, when the Treo 650 came out, the Reps were buying them as fast as they come in. They usually get deliveries either every Tuesday or every Thursday (I can't recall what day). I had waited for a 650 for quite a while. I was calling all 15 locations in my area almost everyday until one Rep said he would hold it for me. I grabbed my keys and off I went...LOL. This is just what I think is going to happen.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    At least we'd know they are definitely coming if they could confirm a release date. People are now just being left hanging.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I understand due to Microsoft's size and the effect a relationship with them can have on a smaller companies stock price, the smaller companies have to announce such products early, to prevent any appearance of insider trading. Obviously Palm does not have to do this for PalmOS products.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    I doubt you will even be able to get your hands on a 680 and any Cingular location for at least 15-20 days after they give a release date. Here is why I feel this way, when the Treo 650 came out, the Reps were buying them as fast as they come in. They usually get deliveries either every Tuesday or every Thursday (I can't recall what day). I had waited for a 650 for quite a while. I was calling all 15 locations in my area almost everyday until one Rep said he would hold it for me. I grabbed my keys and off I went...LOL. This is just what I think is going to happen.
    I have talked to all of the Reps I normall deal with in all the area stores (Managers), and they speculate that it may be weeks before the stores see the units. If the 680 is released tomorrow, it will be availble for online orders and phone sales. Those of you who had hopes of going to your Cingular store tomorrow would be better served in front of your computer or on the phone.

as one manager told me "The stores are always the last to get the good stuff"
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    At least we'd know they are definitely coming if they could confirm a release date. People are now just being left hanging.
    Eagerly I might add
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I have talked to all of the Reps I normall deal with in all the area stores (Managers), and they speculate that it may be weeks before the stores see the units. If the 680 is released tomorrow, it will be availble for online orders and phone sales. Those of you who had hopes of going to your Cingular store tomorrow would be better served in front of your computer or on the phone.

as one manager told me "The stores are always the last to get the good stuff"
    It's true that online Cingular gets everything before the stores. But that is still progress compared to what we have now. Many people order online anyway. The stores would probably have them by December, which will be here before you know it. Time goes by fast these days! If you don't spend the majority of your time waiting on phones to be released, that is.

I have a hard time buying anything online unless I have seen it in person. I will wait until it hits the store to look at it and they better have a WORKING VERSION on display. ...LOL.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    I have a hard time buying anything online unless I have seen it in person. I will wait until it hits the store to look at it and they better have a WORKING VERSION on display. ...LOL.
    I like to hold phones too. I like solid build quality and some phones look solid in photos, but aren't. But online phones sales are still big. Look at all the people here who bought a 750.

Apparently, Fry's in Houston has a 680 on display.
    apparently pictures taken with a 650.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Don't confuse desire with desperation. I would vastly prefered to hold a 750 first, but there was no way that was going to happen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I like to hold phones too. I like solid build quality and some phones look solid in photos, but aren't. But online phones sales are still big. Look at all the people here who bought a 750.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I've been a lurker on this site since I got my 650 two days after they were released, and have been an avid Palm user since my Palm III, going on to my Clie NX70 V.
    I have a mate who runs a Cingular store in New York. I was walking past and waved to say Hi, and he came out and introduced me to his Regional Product Manager. After playing coy, a bit of friendly banter managed to milk a little bit of info from him. He told me the Corp Cingular Stores should get the 680 in about 2-3 weeks, rest of stores should be about a week after that. He was telling me about the 750 launch, which is scheduled for about one month later, but I told him I was more interested in the Palm version.He told me it was coming (initially ?) in silver. My mate checked the database, and told me it would be $149 with a 2 year contract like mine with the $40 unlimited data deal.
    On a different but interesting tangent, and being a bit of an Apple fan, I asked him about the Apple iPhone. He seemed surprised that I already knew there would be two flavours, and let it slip that it was looking like they would not be taking the version with the QWERTY keyboard. I didn't think to ask if both were smartphones, but the guy with him mentioned said that Cingular would be becoming the biggest music vendor for phones.

you can take all of this with a pinch of salt if you like, I know I don't have a billion posts.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    remember, remember, the fifth of november.....
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    apparently pictures taken with a 650.
    Thats always a good thing in my book.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast