Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am a long time Palmmer.. [got one of the first 3x machines] Have done palm support for a third party company, owned four different models so I consider myself to be at least a non ***** but my new Treo 650 [cing] has me thinking maybe I'm either wrong or entered a new world... Reboot city... I started out with a plethora of third party stuff... A hard reset later.... Even running builtins and some base apps; [butler, preference doctor, filez, datebook6 and zlaunch] I still get random and all too freq. reboots. How can you have a phone that reboots while on a call? Or goes into reboot recycle when you need to make an important call??
    Any suggestions? If I get a 700 and do a rom that doesn't have verizon or sprint is there a way to use it on cingular?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Last question first - Cingular is GSM, Verizon/Sprint are CDMA. Phones for one do not work on the other.

I suggest that you start over with the hard reset and do NOT immediately install the other apps - especially those that alter the behavior of the Treo such as Butler and Zlauncher. (I use Butler without problems, but..) Use it for a day or so and then add in one application at a time, see which one triggers the problem.

I'll comment that of the apps you run, I use Butler, Filez and Datebk6 without issue.
    And obviously ZLauncher works perfectly fine too.. 5.x that is, hopefully you aren't trying the ancient 4.x version.
    Did you sync your previous Palm software and/or username into your new Treo?
    The answer you're looking for cnbcad is yes, you should be disappointed in the 650 and no, you're not crazy. I've had my 650 for over a year and have probably logged 200 hours with reboots, ROM upgrades, software testing, hard resets... etc. A year ago it was fun, and worth the administration for the added functionality that didn't exist elsewhere in the market. Now that's not the case. There are MANY other devices that perform better. Scrap the 650, it sucks. (btw, I just went back to sprint because my 1 year old Treo 650 entered into a perpetual reboot cycle even after hard reset. They gave me a brand new 650, which reset itself 2 times today.)
    My Treo 650 is very stable with the latest firmware update. I run lots of 3rd party apps, but you have to be careful which ones you use.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    My Treo 650 is also very stable. Reboots maybe once a week. Lots of third party apps, custom ROM etc.

Like another person suggested - do a HARD RESET and then add your apps one at a time, use the phone for a couple of days, then add another app till you narrow it down to which app is causing the problem.
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    I have mine scheduled to reboot every morning at 4 just to clear out the memory. I've got a custom ROM and run loads of third party apps. I get maybe a reset a month. Its possible to build a stable 650, but they arent that way out of the box.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    If you want the advantages of the extra storage on the 700p, go for the 680 when it comes out. There is a thread with the pricing and its more attractive than the 700p. However, you have to deal with EDGE speeds since POS won't do UMTS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe View Post
    I have mine scheduled to reboot every morning at 4 just to clear out the memory. I've got a custom ROM and run loads of third party apps. I get maybe a reset a month. Its possible to build a stable 650, but they arent that way out of the box.
    'Ve heard a lot about how Treo 650s are unstable, especially, right out of the box. Must be the luck of the draw, or something, but have had mine for almost 1 1/2 years, now. Believe the thing's only reset, on its' own, twice, in all that time.

'Course, there may've been times that it happened, during lights out. Keep some weird hours, though. So, there couldn't've been too awful many more.

Haven't had to add too many 3rd-party apps, as a result. Know that some may say this amounts to serious under-use of the Treos capabilities. Maybe, so. However, if it ain't broke I ain't much for fixin' it. Am, sadly, suffering from RLI (Re-occurring Laziness Issues).
    "There is, absolutely, everything no one can do about it."
    It takes a lot of patience and foolhardy bravado to go and charge forward in order to find the right mix of third-part programs for your Treo that still keeps it stable. For the first month I had my 650, it was crash city, but now I have an amazingly stable and powerful device that would make the Swiss Army proud. God bless custom ROMs.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  12.    #12  
    It's a seriously sad day in the PDA world when my Palm needs to be babied significatly more than my Windows PC to remain stable and usable. Palm has always had a few things going for it that nobody else could touch them on. One was being rock solid dependable.
    I've had three Treos. A 600, a 650, and a 700p. All three have worked fine, and been very stable. Yes, there are some hardware problems here and there, but I disagree strongly with those who say they're all trouble prone. I'd bet 90% of problems can be traced to software conflicts and/or user error. I've got 32 3rd party apps installed on my 700p, and itworks just fine. Haven't had a single reboot except when trying out new software that proved to be incompatible. My 650 didn't reset even one a month (although I probably only had 15-20 3rd party apps installed on that one). I'm on Sprint, btw.

Holmes4 gave you the best advice. Did you try it, or would you rather just b*tch about it?

Gapost also asks a good question. If you synced to your old Palm desktop install, that's probably the root cause of most of your (Treo) problems.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I've had my 650 for more than a year and a half, loaded with lots of software. I won't pretend to claim that it never resets, but it does so rarely enough (maybe once a week or less) that I don't find it a nuisance. The resetting appears to be related to PalmOS' creaky memory management.
    Had my 650 about 2 years. Loaded with over 75 apps and custom ROM. Last reset, July 8th, 2006.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Had my 650 about 2 years. Loaded with over 75 apps and custom ROM. Last reset, July 8th, 2006.
    75 apps??? Wow. Can you list them? I am curious to see what makes up your 75 apps list...
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
    75 apps??? Wow. Can you list them? I am curious to see what makes up your 75 apps list...
    I lied, it's only 74. I removed a few things.

2Day
    2Dial
    4Cast
    Audible
    Audible Air
    BackupBuddy
    BackupMan
    Bejeweled
    Biz Conn
    Card Export
    Contacts Navigator (Tom Tom)
    CWT
    DataViz Tech
    DBCache Tool
    dbScan
    Docs to Go
    eWallet
    Explorer
    Express
    FileMaker Mobile
    Filez
    Galaga
    Google Maps
    GTS Racing
    Jotter
    KBLightsOff
    Keyboard
    Kinoma
    LaunchThis!
    LEDOff
    Little Palm Pet
    Look At Me
    MegaBowling
    MemINfo
    MMplayer
    MobileDB
    mReset
    My Bills
    Navigator (Tom Tom)
    Notify Them
    Obfuscate
    PayOffPlus
    Palm Bible
    PDANet
    PDAReach
    Pocket Bar
    PoolDeluxe
    RowerRUN
    pTunes
    PXA Clocker
    QuickVerse
    rBackup
    rLock
    Screen Rotate
    Screen Shot
    SharkClear
    Skinner
    SmartMovie
    Snapper
    Solitaire
    SoundRec
    SplashPhoto
    Stop Watch
    TakePhone
    Teal Backup
    TCPMP
    Tipsy
    TreoAlarm
    TreoGuard
    txtMemo
    VoiceDial
    VFSMark
    VolumeCare
    Zap!2016
    I've got 90+ (including a few of the ROM apps)

I've renamed almost all of them, so the names might be a tad off.

AlphaHacker
    InHand
    Resco Locker
    SharkMsg
    BackupBuddyVFS
    Battleship
    Bejeweled 2
    Megasoft Billiards
    BTClass
    BlueJacker
    MegaBowling
    BrightCam
    PowerOne Graph
    VeriChat
    BTServer
    PalmaryClock
    DBCache Tool
    DBScan
    PalmInternals
    Skinner
    Screensaver Manager
    WordSmith
    ZDoomZ
    SnapperMail (As a backup... don't ask)
    FakeCall
    FileZ
    SplashMoney
    Flight Status
    Font Manager
    VFS-FTP
    UniCheater (beating games gets old after the tenth time)
    ZLauncher
    Google Maps
    GTS Racing
    Hellfire
    Power48 (the thing that emulates an HP-49G)
    Opera Mini
    Zap!2016
    IPCalc+
    VPN
    Lemonade Tycoon
    Chatter
    Tube2
    Matrix Screensaver
    MemoryInfo
    MetrO
    Monopoly
    TCPMP
    pTunes
    NetInfo
    PCAdmin
    Adobe PDF Reader
    SplashPhoto
    Multiplayer Poker
    Port Scanner (by far the coolest app ever made for a Palm!)
    BugMe
    ZQuake
    Radio Control
    ChangeMe
    TriConnect
    Ringo Pro
    Scrabble
    Snap
    Space Trader
    pssh
    TableFootball
    My Little Tank
    MobiTV
    MochaPocket Telnet
    MiniTones
    Tradewinds
    TrafficStat
    Trivial Pursuit
    UDMH
    Vertigo
    PalmVNC
    Voice Dial
    Articulation
    VolumeCare
    Warfare Incorporated (of course)
    Warfare Mission Manager
    WorldMate Pro
    Yahtzee
    DirAssist
    HandZipper

~85 I think... I'm looking into other software too so 90 might be a better approximation
    Last edited by kboal; 10/31/2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Numbers were off
    Prev Name: FrozenCode
    JohnH59 and kboal, how much free RAM do both of you have with all those apps?

I have the majority my apps (27) on the SD card, yet I have less than 11 MB of free RAM.
    I have several friends who run unaltered 650's (i.e. no third party applications at all). They both report few if any resets.

I run a very altered 650 (custom ROM and lots of 3rd party). I reset nightly after running NVBackup, but it occurs automatically. I get occasional resets, a few a week, but I also beta test lots of software, so I expect it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast