Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Some weird stuff going on. First my phone won't charge the battery. If I plug it in to any charger the battery will drain instead of charging. Let's say it's at 65% then I plug it in for 30 minutes. It will then show 43%. A few minutes later it might go back up but never higher than the original percentage it started at. This happens with the original battery and it has happened a couple of times with the Seidio one.

Things don't go right even if if I take out the batteries from the phone and charge them separately on a Seidio battery charger. The original will charge then turn green to show a complete charge. But when I take it out and put it in the phone it will only be partially charged. This battery is a year and a half old so maybe it jsut doesn't have any life left. The Seidio seems to charge okay (but not on the phone).

I have hard reset the phone to see if it would charge, but no charge. Am I right to assume this is a hardware problem with the phone or are the batteries the problem? Is it time to put away the original and purchase a new one? Since the phone won't charge the batteries, I'll need two to always have one charged.
    try first an in-cradle reset before you trash that device...

1.Connect your device to its charging cable, and connect the cable to a power source.
    2.Use the tip of your stylus.
    3.Gently press the RESET button.

Fully charge your device and then observe for a few hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Resprata Saipuacaupias Dramavis
    www.SexyMe.com
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I did it and as soon as I began charging it it went down from 74% to 33%.

Now I don't have the original cable charger. Does that matter? I'm using the Seidio cradle connected to the wall outlet (not to the computer).
    Mine is doing this exact same thing...in cradle reset does not seem to do anything to mine. Things seem normal until I put the Treo in cradle or connect to charger cable///any more ideas?
    Charliec
    Try a zero out reset. Normally a hard reset doesn't fully restore the Treo back to factory conditions. I've provided instructions and a video on how to do it here. Make sure you rename your entire HotsyncID folder to something else like old-HotsyncID (normally found in C:\Program Files\Palm\YourHotsyncID\ ) before you do a hotsync so that nothing that may cause the battery drain to be re-loaded and re-installed.

Then, try charging the Treo. Check whether the Treo is charging and that the LED light is red. You may also want to do the in-cradle/charger reset as previously mentioned to try to reset the battery. I suspect that there is something installed on the Treo that is draining the battery rather than a hardware problem.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    I am going to try the zero reset - I would agree on the software issue, but I have alreqdy tried charging in a cradle after hard reset - seems software issues would not be a factor...tries in cradle thingy already.WIll let you know.
    Charliec
    By the way - your note referenced "checking if the battery was charging" and the LED light being red, those were both the case before, (the lightening bolt was even there) but my battery would discharge not charge (faster that if the phone were off the cradle and in use, in fact) - this happened with three different batteries and three chargers...wierd.
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec View Post
    By the way - your note referenced "checking if the battery was charging" and the LED light being red, those were both the case before, (the lightening bolt was even there) but my battery would discharge not charge (faster that if the phone were off the cradle and in use, in fact) - this happened with three different batteries and three chargers...wierd.
    I was about to reply with this same comment. Light was always red with lightning bolt. Will also try the zero out reset.
    Zero out was exciting. Resulted in a screen with green/red/blue squares...regular reset got me back - still discharging...going to talk to Sprint store tomorrow for new hardware.
    Charliec
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Well I tried the in cradle reset again, and out of frustration did it four times in a row. The preferences screen never came up, but I noticed that the phone started charging. I left it and it just reached 100%. I don't know if this is a one time deal, but hopefully it continues to work.
    my treo just started having the same problem. Battery completely dies within about 50 mins of usage. Up until about 2 weeks ago i was getting about 5+ hours of talk time and about 4+ hours of internet surfing. Now its like 50 mins max. Im thinking its a software issue. Doing the recommended soft/warm resets and am now installing the latest firmware. If that dont work i'll get a new Treo 650 from sprint for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec View Post
    Zero out was exciting. Resulted in a screen with green/red/blue squares...regular reset got me back - still discharging...going to talk to Sprint store tomorrow for new hardware.
    If you got the rainbow screen, you didn't perform the reset properly. From PALM,
    "If you did this reset correctly, the screen of your device will go blank, and you will not be able to turn it on. The charging LED will not light up, even if it's connected to power. It will appear to be "dead." (any other activity such as the Palm OS logo or a rainbow-colored Boot Log screen appearing means the reset was performed incorrectly; try again) "

It took me a couple times to get it right...

You should probably try again...

Mals
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    I had this problem. The problem is that the connector on the bottom wears out.
    There are three contacts. If two of the three connect (the side two), the battery will discharge or stay the same. The only solution is to get a replacement.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfg17 View Post
    I had this problem. The problem is that the connector on the bottom wears out.
    There are three contacts. If two of the three connect (the side two), the battery will discharge or stay the same. The only solution is to get a replacement.
    Do you mean the connector on the bottom of the phone?
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Yes. It is poorly designed and after awhile it wears out so that you can't get a solid connection on the power connector. I just went through this recently and ended up getting a replacement phone.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    You can use a battery utility like BatteryGraph to show you the instantaneous voltage. With the app running, you can wiggle the power connector and you will see that the voltage will change. Typically, to trickle charge, the voltage needs to be 60-70mV higher than the non-charging voltage. Also, in some positions, you will see what looks like a fast discharge. This is actually a bit misleading. The non fully connected power source seems to fool the Treo's voltage detection into thinking that it has more of a drain than it really does. If you remove the source, it will eventually come back up. But it will drain some.
    I just recieved a new treo from lockline (sprint insurance program) and the battery won't charge, the red LED won't even turn on. I've tried the soft reset and in cradle soft reset several times. Did Lockline send me a broken treo? The phone would turn on at first but the battery was nearly completely dead and it would never charge. Also, on all my other treos the phone would function if the battery was out so long as it was plugged into a power source such as the wall or car cigarette lighter. this new one won't even do that. I suspect the power connector on the bottom of the phone is broken even though I received this phone yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkdamark View Post
    I just recieved a new treo from lockline (sprint insurance program) and the battery won't charge, the red LED won't even turn on. I've tried the soft reset and in cradle soft reset several times. Did Lockline send me a broken treo? The phone would turn on at first but the battery was nearly completely dead and it would never charge. Also, on all my other treos the phone would function if the battery was out so long as it was plugged into a power source such as the wall or car cigarette lighter. this new one won't even do that. I suspect the power connector on the bottom of the phone is broken even though I received this phone yesterday.

It's most likely refurbished.
    Quote Originally Posted by rigo View Post
    Do you mean the connector on the bottom of the phone?
    Yes, I had the same problem. Was using 2 batteries swapping out in the external Seido charger for a while, but that gets old real quick when the cradle won't charge. I broke down and bought a new 650.