Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I see that many phones now offer turn-by-turn directions (presumably by using aGPS) without any external GPS receiver. This capability should be present in the Treo. Does anyone know of an app that would allow this? Or is this another case of the Treo not having capabilities that more basic phones have (sports apps, etc)? For developers: I would think there would be great demand for something like this...
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I don't know what verizon's navigator is written in, java, symbian, etc. But I'm pretty sure the functionality is there its just the software has yet to be written/ported to palm. What else is new. We should be used to being last in line, especially those of us that have palm and macs...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Probably there is no market because Treo has superior GPS suite.
    Not exactly "turn in .5 miles" but EarthComber will give you directions if you tell it where you are and where you're going. Just textual directions, but it has terrific maps included to help.

I'm hoping the upcoming beta will include the drawing of the route on the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Not exactly "turn in .5 miles" but EarthComber will give you directions if you tell it where you are and where you're going. Just textual directions, but it has terrific maps included to help.

I'm hoping the upcoming beta will include the drawing of the route on the map.
    doesn't google maps do this too? it's free and made for the treo.
    TREO's do not have a internal GPS unit therefore you cannot get turn by turn directions like a navigation unit. the phone that do give you t b t direc's have a internal gps unit.

best you can do it google or buy a BT GPS and Tom Tom or similar.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that all E911 compliant phones have a GPS receiver for emergency location, do they not? Just most do not have the ability to interface with any software on the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by waterfrontmgmt View Post
    doesn't google maps do this too? it's free and made for the treo.
    Um, so is EarthComber. Different strokes I guess. EarthComber has points of interest so you can see where the closest ATM or restaurant is, plus it will work with a GPS unit as well.

They both have their purpose. And they're both on my Treo.
    Mapopolis has turn-by-turn directions without a GPS, but you'll have to keep track of where you are yourself and go to the next step accordingly.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    The 700p has 2 options for GPS, "911 only" and "location on". This leads me to believe apps, like verizons navigator and maybe traffic, might work with the 700p's gps unit. Why else would this option be included?
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I think that would be a great feature to add to our already robust Treos, but I see 2 problems with it.

1 - those "GPS" turn by turn directions offered by those companies are usually not true gps, but instead work off the trianulation of cell towers, not satellites, making them a little less reliable.

2 - Verizon would charge you a lot of money to use this feature and they would some how figure a way to cripple it.

Best bet would probably use one of the many great GPS bluetooth devices out there.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    ...........Best bet would probably use one of the many great GPS bluetooth devices out there.
    Given the cost of these, I cannot imagine that anyone would prefer a different solution. If one uses it, the price is right. If not, no price is low enough. My understanding is that the cost of the Verizon solution, which only works on Verizon 700s, is dollars per day.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/30/2006 at 09:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Which models have you had the best sucess with so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldhege View Post
    Which models have you had the best sucess with so far?
    The most popular seems to be the HOLUX 236. These can be had on eBay for under $100-. I also have an iTrek which I like. There was a 600 offered for sale here for about two weeks with a GPS solution thrown in for free. It finally sold on eBay.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The most popular seems to be the HOLUX 236. These can be had on eBay for under $100-. I also have an iTrek which I like. There was a 600 offered for sale here for about two weeks with a GPS solution thrown in for free. It finally sold on eBay.
    Raising my hand for the Holux 236 myself.. I keep mine protected in a little baggy in my cargos 24/7... Not that I'm that directionally challenged, I'm a GeoCacher too
    It's coming. I haven't tried it yet, but.... http://www.telenav.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson View Post
    The Treo 650 is listed as a supported device. (It is not clear that the 650 works on all carriers but does work on Sprint). Does require an external BT GPS receiver ($100- for theirs but I assume that any one will work. In any case, that question is now answered). On Cingular, it "does not need an additional data plan" (But not clear that it works on Cingular at all). $9.95 per month; price includes map updates. Not clear but it reads as though maps are downloaded in real-time as required (a la Google maps). Provides both pan and zoom.

If you try to order and specify Cingular as your carrier, the system responds that you need:

# BlackBerry 8700c or 7100g and Audiovox SMT 5600.
    # TeleNav Accessories for your phone (optional). Click to buy

suggesting that the 650 is not supported on Cingular.

At $10/mo, TomTom would pay for itself in 15 mos.
    Last edited by whmurray; 10/31/2006 at 07:58 AM.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pizenson View Post
    Sweet! I know they say it's compatible for the 650 today, has anyone tried it for the 700P or are is there word as to if they're going to release a version for the 700P?
    Meh. Instead of paying $10/month for that I think I'd rather just pick up a bluetooth receiver and software and not have to add on to the bill.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast