Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Not necessarily. Treos are like people . . . some are smokers and some are not!
    Well, I've only had my 700P for a few weeks, but other than playing around with a couple of 3rd party apps that caused problems mine has been absolutely stable so far. No crashes, no resets (after uninstalling those few bad apps) at all. I don't use Versamail, and while the lag when accessing databases is worse than it was on the 650, it's not bad enough to be a real issue. I don't get the long waits some people report when switching to the phone app, and which I believe is VersaMail related.

I also don't use Bluetooth, so if there are stability problems caused by BT I wouldn't know.

Otherwise, though, it's simply great. EVDO is a joy to use, the extra memory is great (no need to load apps on the card). I've got a couple of dozen apps installed and still have 39 MB free.

Did I say it's stable? My 650 was very stable (as was my 600 before it), but so far I think this is better than either.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    my old treo had some issues

no problems with the replacement one i got last week
    No problems here! Mine works just as advertised!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Well, I am on my 3rd 700p since July. I could go into a long diatribe of issues, mostly related to built in rom apps, yes I do use several third party apps and have some issues that way. I will forgo that and say this. I am happy with the Treo as a concept. having used both the 600 (3 bad ones) and 650 (4 bad ones) a year and now the 700 (3 in 4 months), I will say that I am looking to a different device. I know that the Q is not my answer. So to your question, I have never owned a Treo with out a problem.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by theecigarman View Post
    having used both the 600 (3 bad ones) and 650 (4 bad ones) a year and now the 700 (3 in 4 months),
    You must be Palms worst nightmare, Just kidding

But seriously, I see a trend. If I were you I would take a long hard look at the third party software and hacks that you are running. My 600 is 3 years old and my son still uses it. I never had any "bad" ones. My 700p is flawless.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Absolutely no problems! I love it!
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    but I have an application to manage that. For the most part mine is pretty stable.
    DBcach is a Big problem..

Are you referring to the app called dbcache Tool? If so , could you post your settings you use successfully?

I also use DBDA. Via zlauncher now I have an icon to show me status and clear DBcach.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You must be Palms worst nightmare, Just kidding

But seriously, I see a trend. If I were you I would take a long hard look at the third party software and hacks that you are running. My 600 is 3 years old and my son still uses it. I never had any "bad" ones. My 700p is flawless.
    rc46, I can honestly say they groan when I call Palm or VZW.
    However, I use no hacks, hence the first 600 replaced. I have done clean installs on each of the individual handsets and have about 15 renamed backup folders. I do use reputable 3 party software from Gotreo, Docstogo, Chatter, RESCO, TCPMP, TOM TOM, ptunes and File Z. I also use Palm's Java app, Google Maps (redundant, I know) and most of the ROM apps. These are the only apps on the 700p. I am a heavy user of the Treo and have tried to stay true to the built in apps to keep the device stable. With that said, I am so frustrated by Palm's lack of support, IE: Bluetooth not working on the 700p's not being recognized as an "official" problem. Or a card not being recognized by the handheld and dismounting at random as an issue with the card being "incompatible" and I should try a different one. (I use six of various sizes with different docs on each one all formatted by the handheld.)

Sorry for the long rant, I am sure you know that it is not directed at you, just providing the OP a view into the life of a very disgruntled longterm user.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I can't seem to take pictures in low light. The Treo 650 was way better at taking pictures in low light or how about p-tunes skipping sometimes or how about the lag time to open up 3 party applications or running application from the SD card? I guess those are not problems to some of you. I expected more from the Treo 700 than from the Treo 650. If it weren't for the extra memory & the 1.3 Megpixal camera. The 650 would be an upgrade for sure!!!
    treoKing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely no problems! I love it!

The problems is that some people are so ing clueless. Palm could have done a better job with the Treo 700p. They should have had an update by now to fix the long list of defects this phone has. The bluetooth on this phone is so crappy and unstable. Palm you suck the big one. I wish you can stop counting all the money your are making on poor suckers like myself and give back to your loyal customers. Please come up with an update for the Treo 700p. When the 650 first came out I was totally dissatified but later I appriecated the updates & the Treo 650 became a great phone. I wish more poster will have the guts to speak their mind and not be Palm kiss es.
    Only 2 fairly minor issues here: 1. occasionally (1-2x a week) BT requires a warm reset (and on rare occasions it has been kind enough to do the ressetting for me; and 2. Phone locks up briefly when it loses signal (and on occasion it has reset b/c of this).

The only other bad thing I can say about it is that EVDO seems slower than expected (only about 2x as fast as 1xRTT). Not sure if this is a firmware issue or a Sprint issue.

Still, I LIKE IT & am HAPPY with it. Assuming an update to fix aforementioned problems is released.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamice4u View Post
    I can't seem to take pictures in low light. The Treo 650 was way better at taking pictures in low light or how about p-tunes skipping sometimes or how about the lag time to open up 3 party applications or running application from the SD card? I guess those are not problems to some of you. I expected more from the Treo 700 than from the Treo 650. If it weren't for the extra memory & the 1.3 Megpixal camera. The 650 would be an upgrade for sure!!!

Okay, one at a time: It's a phone, not a camera. Nonetheless, you're right about the camera vs. the 650. But in this case it is, honestly, a feature. Treo users kept screaming for a higher resolution camera. More pixels in the same space means smaller pixels, which means poorer low light capability. It's physics, and even affects digital cameras. Palm gave us what we asked for, unfortunately.

The only significant lag I have is reading the first message in SnapperMail. After the first message, Snapper is fine, and so are my other apps. Note, however, I once started up VersaMail by mistake. I had serious problems with lags until I deleted the files VM created. VM sucks the big one, and I'll admit that's a problem. If you're using it, bite the bullet and switch to Snapper (or Chatter).

What's wrong running apps from the SD card? I had no problems doing it, but with all the memory the 700P has I don't even bother any more.

Is it perfect? No. Does it have serious problems? Not for me. Is it a major upgrade to the 650? You betcha'.
    Bob Meyer
    jamice, just because you can't figure out how to make it work doesn't mean the rest of us are clueless. Let's see. I've managed to put more than 30 apps on mine and have a device which works great. You have lots of problems. Which one of us seems more clueless? I can express myself without having to use words, you apparently can't? Who's more clueless?

Sorry, but you're a long way from convincing me of anything other than you're a

Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    No problems here.

Happy camper with a 700p.
    I think the true answer is that there is no perfect smartphone yet. The Treo (palm version) is the best we've got, but is a work in progress.

Had a Kyocera 7135. Worked okay, and was the only smartphone that ever made to have both digital and analog (good for weak cell areas) but no bluetooth, text messaging was a pain (had to use Palm Graffiti since the dial pad was frustrating) and the phone had reboot issues.

Was upgraded to a Treo 650p. Great QWERTY keyboard that I love, bluetooth support, does most of what I want. But it doesn't have voice-dialing over bluetooth (a feature I'd dearly love to have to make the phone truly handsfree), Bluetooth isn't perfect (doesn't always engage on time for picking up calls, doesn't always acknowledge the "answer" button on my BT250v headset or has lag recognizing it), and once again, the phone has reboot issues --and when the phone reboots, the Palm portion comes back on, but the phone stays turned off, meaning I could miss an important call and not know it. This is the worst issue. Other than that, I really like how the phone works.

Have a Treo 700p here I'll be upgrading to shortly. I expect it will improve on some things that I like about the 650p. I also assume that it will have some of the same problems. The biggest issue is that the PalmOS has the greatest smartphone UI in the world, hiding some really dated code that doesn't have great memory management leading to instability issues. It truly needs a ground-up rewrite, and seeing the state of Palm's software department, I'm not betting on it.

That said, Windows Mobile isn't "all that" either. The interface is cluttered and confusing, and current versions don't support as hi-res of a display as Palm does. I want a simple UI on my phone, Palm does do that right.

Too bad Symbian doesn't have any US presence --I'd like to see Nokia and Sony/Ericsson's latest smartphones using it to compare. Don't see that happening soon either. But even then, I don't think anybody's done a perfect smartphone yet, so until then, I'll settle for the 80% solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    jamice, just because you can't figure out how to make it work doesn't mean the rest of us are clueless. Let's see. I've managed to put more than 30 apps on mine and have a device which works great. You have lots of problems. Which one of us seems more clueless? I can express myself without having to use words, you apparently can't? Who's more clueless?

Sorry, but you're a long way from convincing me of anything other than you're a

I will not be so I will give Palm and all you door mat consumers my opinion.

Meyerweb if you have a device that works great why don't you use versa mail. I don't think people who own blackberries phone come with this problem!!! Why didn’t palm identify and fix the versa mail problem with the Treo before they shipped the phone out? All I am saying is things will get worst if we don't let palm know how dissatisfied we are with their products. You are the type of person who has a heart condition and tells the doctor I am just fine. We are the patients and Palm is the doctor if we don't help the doctor with the problems with the Treo, the Treo line will eventual die off. It is up to all of us consumer to tell Palm how they can improve the Treo!!!

I am pretty sure they knew the lens on the Treo wouldn't work great, but yet they shipped the Treo out with the crappy lens anyways because, they know people like yourself won't complain. Why don't you want to be heard? Don't you want Palm to improve there products? Why didn't palm use a better lens instead of sell the Treo with the crappy lens? I took pictures with some of the pocket pc phone and the quality is way better. Why can't they test their product before shipping it out? Or at least come out with an update to their phones, before coming out with new phones with new problems. For a $600 phone I expect more. Look I think as consumers we deserve better!!! We don’t need to be Palm’s floor mat to riches and glory!!! All I am saying is just speak your mind instead of pretending that everything is all honky doorie!!!

The game is that Palm comes out with a less than perfect phone, so that the next model they will address the problems on the old phone. Then you spend your $600.00 and find out that the new phone has a different set of problems. Palm comes out with messed up phones to keep suckers like us upgrading. Maybe if we want the perfect phone we should look elsewhere.
    Last edited by jamice4u; 11/01/2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Having the right attitude is key. I have learned to live with the shortcomings of the phone and at worst they're a nuisance. But the gains outweigh the losses. If you can't make it work for you, then get a different phone.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
  19. pmb
    I think it's more likely a MORON problem! Mine's had a quirk or two, but nothing outrageous.
    Quote Originally Posted by pmb View Post
    I think it's more likely a MORON problem! Mine's had a quirk or two, but nothing outrageous.
    Ok first of I know how to use my smartphone, I use it as a bluetooth modem for broadband internet on my laptop, a GPS navagation unit for my car, I check my bank account statements, check my e-mail via snappermail, received fax files through my smartphone, watch movies thru my smartphone, listen to music, & use my smartphone as my day planner, play games with my smartphone and even make purchases online with my smartphone.

The problem I have is when I listen to music with my smartphone and when somebody calls me the phone freezes up for about 10 seconds if the person is patient then I can answer their phone call if not then they hang up on me. My Treo 650 paused for about 2 seconds at the most. I don't know why the Treo 700p freezes when I am listening to music & receiving phone calls. I mean I will admitt the Treo is a good phone. But the phone does has some problems in which Palm needs to come up with an update to fixed these short comings and make the Treo 700P an excellent phone. I admire all the people who posted the short comings of their phones. I hope Palm has someone in their company who is reading one of these Post and maybe one day they will come up with update to fix the Treo 700P short comings. I am not the type of person who just shows up for work, I want to improve every single day & that's what I expect from my smartphone too.
    Last edited by jamice4u; 11/04/2006 at 01:22 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast