1.    #1  
    I have read ad nauseum here and other treo forums, and I'm not savvy enough to decipher any consensus answers. I have also searched, read the manual, and prayed to the Gods.

Forgive the newby questions, but in return for any usable advice I'll gladly answer any medical questions I can (I'm an ER Doc).

I want to start simple and slowly build a reliable setup. I want to surf the web (dont need TV), do email, have a good intuitive calander based task app.

The ones I think I should have are:

- Backup Man (everyone recomends it but I'm not sure what the difference is from just backing up with a daily hotsync).

- Most of you seem to say to uninstall Versamail and go to chattermail or snapper mail (both seem to have big followings)

- ditto with ditching Blazer (do I uninstall it also?)...and using Pda net, Opera mini (but some dont like the java), or there was a chinese one recommended but I forgot). All I want here is speed, good text, and simple pics.

- butler seems popular

OK, my wife is bugging me to get off my *** and play with the kids.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    I want to start simple and slowly build a reliable setup. I want to surf the web (dont need TV), do email, have a good intuitive calander based task app.

The email thing: ChatterEmail is the big guy on the block - support is fantastic. Calendar - Agendus and Datebook 5/6 - I use Datebook 6. Agendus is more "contacts" based and Datebook is more calender based. Both good, both have large followings and support with Datebook 5/6 is awesome.

The ones I think I should have are:

- Backup Man (everyone recomends it but I'm not sure what the difference is from just backing up with a daily hotsync).

BackupManager and Resco Backup are the big guys. I have licenses for both and use Resco Backup exclusively. Resco Backup has been more recently updated that BackupManager and works very well with the 700p.

- Most of you seem to say to uninstall Versamail and go to chattermail or snapper mail (both seem to have big followings)

ChatterEmail is the better of the two. There is a comparison chart on the web site that may be of interest -
    http://www.chatteremail.com/index.ph...d=43&Itemid=89

If that link is too long, go to www.chatteremail.com and look on the left side for the link.

As a note I also have licenses for SnapperMail and ChatterEmail and use ChatterEmail exclusively - it really is the better product.

- ditto with ditching Blazer (do I uninstall it also?)...and using Pda net, Opera mini (but some dont like the java), or there was a chinese one recommended but I forgot). All I want here is speed, good text, and simple pics.

Are you speaking of Xiino? I also have Opera Mini with Java and frankly, I just use Blazer 99.999% of the time.

- butler seems popular

OK, my wife is bugging me to get off my *** and play with the kids.

Butler is exceedingly good - it really is naggy, probably more than your boss.

I also suggest you look at On Guard Backup from North Glide, www.northglide.com - if you are entering data that must be current, it is an excellent application.

In addition, Preference Doctor by www.hobbyistsoftware.com is good at restoring lost saved preferences and cache management.

Ben

Thanks in advance.

Jeff[/QUOTE]
    Hi. Welcome to the Treo world. I'm not really a hardcore user but been with Treo since Treo 300 and been with Palm device since Visor Dx.

Versamail:
    A lot of people saying that Versamail is causing slow app switchings and all other problems. I experienced the slowdown myself, and especially the white screen delay when switching to phone app
    was killing me.

Since the Versamail is on the Flash ROM, you can really uninstall it unless you do some kind of hack. (like mod ROM files that existed for Treo 650. I'm not sure if there are any for 700p)

I wiped all Versamail related files (Versamail itself staying on ROM) and used a freeware called "Obfuscate" and hided Versamail from the launcher. It actually worked really well and I'm not experiencing the delay switching to phone app since.

Opera mini:
    I use Opera mini everyday basis and having pretty much no problem. But I still use Blazer as well since Opera mini can't handle downloading prc and other files to Treo. Many people complaining about the stability of the Opera mini, and seems like it's depending on the IBM Java software setting and how much free space you have on your RAM.

I also use "LudusP." With this nice little software, you can free up the phone button (along with other button re-mappings) and use it for launching other software of your choice.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, really.

Do I uninstall versamail then install chattermail? I want to avoid conflicts and keep it simple. I read lots about "bloatware", and want to get rid of anything I dont need (ie "get BC" and "get Good"). Also, will this still allow me to use the web to setup a Cox, etc. account too?

I'll stick with blazer for now, unless more votes from others change my mind. I tried Xiino on my 600, and it downloaded in chinese or something so I uninstalled it.

I think the backup apps backup to a memory card, not the PC, right?
    I'll probably take your suggestion there too. I looked at the Neat Freak pack from northglide (includes on guard backup) as you said. Does this do the same as Resco, or are both needed?

As to cards, I've read here that the 4GB cards are slower than the 2GB. Is it that big a deal? I want to just buy the right card from the start. I'll occasionally shoot pics and vids, probably google maps...but I wouldn't keep them. If all i need is 2GB and its much faster, I'll probably just do that.

I think these are enough changes for now till I learn the unit better.

Thanks
  5.    #5  
    Sorry about the versamail question...I was typing when the second answer came in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffandpamsmith View Post
    Thanks, really.

Do I uninstall versamail then install chattermail? I want to avoid conflicts and keep it simple. I read lots about "bloatware", and want to get rid of anything I dont need (ie "get BC" and "get Good"). Also, will this still allow me to use the web to setup a Cox, etc. account too?

I'll stick with blazer for now, unless more votes from others change my mind. I tried Xiino on my 600, and it downloaded in chinese or something so I uninstalled it.

I think the backup apps backup to a memory card, not the PC, right?
    I'll probably take your suggestion there too. I looked at the Neat Freak pack from northglide (includes on guard backup) as you said. Does this do the same as Resco, or are both needed?

As to cards, I've read here that the 4GB cards are slower than the 2GB. Is it that big a deal? I want to just buy the right card from the start. I'll occasionally shoot pics and vids, probably google maps...but I wouldn't keep them. If all i need is 2GB and its much faster, I'll probably just do that.

I think these are enough changes for now till I learn the unit better.

Thanks

Some people have had luck with the 4gig cards but really they are not supported at this time.
    I love snapper mail, I do not need the "push" option so I went with snapper mail.

With Verizon Versamail is not i nstalled so that is kind of nice, you have to install it when you get the phone when they give you your setup disc.

I use backup buddy and it works great.
    First thing I got was volumecare and that is GREAT.
  7.    #7  
    What exactly is the "push" feature? I keep hearing the term.

Is there an accepted best/fastest/most stable 2 or 3 GB card (does it even come in a 3)? I haven't used the treo long enough to even know how much memory I'll need, but I can't think of other things than I mentioned. I have to figure out how many full resolution pictures fit in a MB or GB...anyone already got that figured out?

I guess if the only thing I ever needed more memory for was more pics, I could take more 2GB cards (but would that mess up other apps that may not be on the system memory...like Backup Man?) I guess the second card wouldn't need the Backup Man stuff on it anyway since I'd still have the card, just not in the phone at the time. I'm just trying to start out with a smart plan, and most of you guys have already got this stuff wired.

I've read about volume care...is it just for listening to MP3s or is it good for everything phone-ish too? Doesn't it seem silly to have to pay to just "turn the volume knob a little to the right"? I'll spend the money if advised.
    "Push" is a feature of chatteremail (and other things like blackberry) that basically treats your 700p as if it was receiving the email from whatever source in "real time" but yet retains the data on your regular email server. To use "push" with Chatter you have to use certain email clients that support a certain characteristic.

If you use AOL, you would have the capability automatically, and/or you can get a free account there now. I would go to www.chatteremail.com and read some of the stuff there (such as the many and various compatable "push" email clients), and also download the free 30 day trial (don't use the betas quite yet, use the stable version) and make sure you set up for energy savings (marked with *) under preferences. Can't lose, and once you use it (and play with it!) you will be probably a registered user in a week! I was like you, very nervous about using chatter at first, but now I wouldn't do without it. Excellent (but make sure you use the power saving features!) product.

I use blazer myself with no trouble, and bought a 1 Gig card since they were much cheaper and have had no problems (other than one I brought on myself and was easily fixed).

Finally, I haven't had any experience in the other areas, but have toyed with getting volume care. Good luck and welcome to the fun world of the 700p!
  9.    #9  
    This is a great forum. I never expected so many fast answers.

1 - I'm sold on chattermail.

2 - I'm still thinking the Northglide On Guard Backup does the same as Resco...am I wrong? Do I need both?

3 - Why do I need a "launcher"? (ie ZLauncher). Deosn't the treo just launch the apps...or Butler?

4 - finally, I like the LudusP app to assign buttons.

...this is fun, I never knew a phone could do so much!
    hi and welcome to the treo world. I am an OB. you will become addicted to this gadget very quickly! I use it constantly in practice. Be sure to download epocrates for medical information. there are free and paid subscriptions. I highly recommend chatter, butler, phone technician (for cool mp3 ring tones), backup buddy, and launcher X. date bk 5 is outstanding. Enjoy!
    I actually recommand use as much build in app as possible. Opera is a horrible java program, don't listen to everything people say on the net (including mine )
    there's a thread somewhere here called something like "My stable 700p setup"...it may help too
  13.    #13  
    OK, down to a few specifics...
    -If I get Northglide with On Guard Backup, do I need Resco or Backup Man too? I like the Northglide Neatfreak pack which also includes an uninstall and cleanup app.

-Do I need to get an SD card 1st (before buying a backup program), and which one. The Palm storer 2GB say miniSD with adapter. I want to buy the biggest "proven stable" card...and from reading, I assume thats 2GB max.

-Does Butler give me a simple alarm clock? I couldn't find one in the treo manual...ie something just to wake me up.

-Does Butler allow me to reassign buttons, or is the LudusP app needed too?

-Butler seems to "turn off LED". I want to be able to turn off all light from the phone including screen when talking at night.

-I want KeyCaps, but I only see it for the 650 (did I miss it?)

thanks again

PS-I couldn't find that "my stable 700p" link with a search.
    [jeffandpamsmith;1114756]OK, down to a few specifics...
    >>>>>-If I get Northglide with On Guard Backup, do I need Resco or Backup Man too? I like the Northglide Neatfreak pack which also includes an uninstall and cleanup app.

Personally, I just hotsync and make a backup of the Treo folder whenever I install a couple more app. It makes "roll back" very easy.

>>>>-Do I need to get an SD card 1st (before buying a backup program), and which one. The Palm storer 2GB say miniSD with adapter. I want to buy the biggest "proven stable" card...and from reading, I assume thats 2GB max.

Just buy a cheap 2gb card from whereever.

>>>>-Does Butler give me a simple alarm clock? I couldn't find one in the treo manual...ie something just to wake me up.

You can do simple alarm clock on default calander. I set "alarm on" on on all calendar events. So basically I turn the calendar into a simple alarm app.

>>>>-Does Butler allow me to reassign buttons, or is the LudusP app needed too?

-Butler seems to "turn off LED". I want to be able to turn off all light from the phone including screen when talking at night.

There is no need for 700p becuase the LED doesn't blink.

>>>>-I want KeyCaps, but I only see it for the 650 (did I miss it?)

Newest keycap will work. Look for it in mytreo.net

>>>>PS-I couldn't find that "my stable 700p" link with a search.

Well every one's method of making a stable Treo is so WILDLY DIFFERENT you might as well experiment yourself.

Good luck.
  15.    #15  
    Bad wording on my question.

I heard there's a way to turn off the screen light while talking in a dark place (to be polite). I think the key lights go out automatically, and you're right about the green light.
    Just went through this...

Here are my recommendations

First, I would get an uninstall manager like northglide's uninstall manager. That way, if you try something and don't like it, you can easily delete it and its associated files.

I would also vouch for resco backup.

The new keycaps works and is great.

You can also check out buttonex. Its a free program that lets you set some keys (like holding right navigation pad opens my versamail) to open programs.

As an accessory, I would order the skin from bestskinsever.com. its only about 7$ and if you use it for the screen alone its worth it (it comes in pieces so you cover the parts of the phone you want). it feels like a plastic material but its very resistant to scratching and is unnoticeable on the screen. It adds a noticeable shine to the body but I think it looks good.

The world clock on the treo has an alarm function but I wasn't too fond of it. I use butler.

I may think of some more stuff later.
    Last edited by oldindiansfan; 11/03/2006 at 11:01 AM.
    On Guard Backup enhances the backup process by copying applications and/or data files upon the termination of an application - this means you always have the latest data when the application is terminated stored on the SD card. Picture this - you did a device based backup last night. Used the device a lot today and then sustained a reset that resulted in you loosing data or the device needing to have a hard reset. You restore from last night's data and now you need to get the data back in that you worked so hard getting done today. That is where On Guard Backup comes in. Do not start the application you need the data restored from - 'cause when that application closes, what it does will be copied by On Guard Backup and over write the data that you need (On Guard Backup does support multiple backups but it can be cumbersome). So after the restore, you start On Guard Backup, select the application to be restored and go from there. The result - back to where you were when you last exited the application properly.

VolumeCare - the basic app handles the phone really well. If you want applications to be helped, you gotta go with the deluxe version.

A good third party launcher means more free memory on the device. The big guy on the block is ZLauncher - it has a higher learning curve; however, you can customize as much or as little as you want and the results exceed that of the competition. In addition, it also handles multiple creator IDs. The latest beta release is what you need to play with. Download the latest release and install it, then install the beta file itself. Also, ZLauncher has a "quick launch" feature that works really well.

LudusP - there really is not that much of a need for it. It makes for one additional application sitting and doing nothing most of the time.

Also, when you start installing applications that do multiple things and other applications that do multiple things, conflicts just might start. Choose, install, play and pick carefully those that you need. Sometimes we forget what application we installed does one thing over another over another. My suggestion is to look for an application that accomplishes multiple things and then stick with it - conflicts do happen. Butler is an excellent application that is well supported by its developer.

A stable device is one that memory management is kept in good shape. Take a look at Preference Doctor, Resco Lock, Resco Backup and Butler. Butler and Preference Doctor overlap and the only reason I have Butler on is for its nagging capabilities - Preference Doctor does the stability stuff, keeping the exchange manager clean, automagically backing up the saved preferences, locking the preference database, and managing the db cache. Resco Lock works with those applications that just are not happy with the file system. Resco Backup keeps the device healthy during and after a device based backup.

A third party launcher is also handy when it comes to saving memory.

Slick apps are nice, but they can cause you problems down the road.