1.    #1  
    I recently added and deleted some large files. Remembering running into a defrag utility before, I did some searching and came up with Recycle and Palm Info.

Loaded Palm Info first (freeware, right?). It showed 30% fragmentation. After defragging, I gained about 4% on my free space.

Loaded Recycle next and it agreed that the fragmentation was now 0% (shareware).

Anybody else with experience to share?
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    where did you find "palm info" ?

have you found any with a "type of monitor"

Thanks
    Chris
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by ergosmrt
    where did you find "palm info" ?

have you found any with a "type of monitor"

Thanks
    Chris
    Palm Info from Uwe Klimmek (author of Runtime) on author's website:
    http://home.germany.net/101-216666/

I don't understand what you mean by "type of monitor".
    Steve
    Thanks Steve,
    have you come across any defraggers with a "type of monitor" similar to symantec's speeddisk ? Even one that could be programmed to defragg after each deletion ?
    Maybe now that symantec has produced a anti-virus for
    palm os, a defragger may be in the works.
    Chris
  5.    #5  
    No I haven't.

FYI, I have only noticed any appreciable fragmenting after large file deletion (dictionary, maps, etc). With Palm Info it took maybe about 30-45 secs to defrag from 30% fragmented. VDX with about 40% free memory (of 8mb). This was with Afterburner 3.x set at 28mhz. Not too long in any case.

Regular use of DB+, ToDo, memo, Quicksheet, etc only results in 1-4% frag over a couple of days. So, I don't know that an automatic feature is strictly necessary, though if you want, Deskfree Recycle (runs on PDA) does have some automation. Here's the description of it from PalmGear:

Make more usable memory on your PalmPilot. This automated memory defragger can tidy up your memory to allow more and bigger applications and data to be loaded on your PalmPilot. Works with all PalmPilots and all memory sizes/brands. Can be set to run automatically every night for a fresh, clean PalmPilot in the morning, or every time the HotSync button is pressed for Just In Time defragging when you are about to install applications. No confusing options. No massive list of numbers to wade through. It works without intervention and then displays a simple summary of the results.

It's $12 shareware, while Palm Info is freeware.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Steve