Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use the $20/month plan (grandfathered) as well (using it now actually). And yes, it is steep, but that is the break if you will for this one. On Palm's end, I wouldn't be surprised if they offered some sort of trade in deal that knocks a bit more off of it - though given Palm's recent track record after introing a new device, it would be a good thing to hold onlto my 650 for a while.

Don't worry though. There will be enough of a push from the marketing end though to get enough people to consider the Treo. If enough people decline based on the data price, Cingular would change their designation of the Treo 680 from PDA to smartphone, thereby making it easier for them to get the 680 off the floor.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganT View Post
    425 dollars for a Treo without a contract is a great price. Let's look at phones that do less and are more expensive without a contract:

MOTORAZR V3i with iTunes= $449.99
    V3i is not $449 without contract, it is $349 at any CompUSA without contract, or $49 with a 2 yr contract going by their last in-store sale.
    Last edited by Merovingian; 10/28/2006 at 09:36 PM.
    I'm grandfathered into an awesome voice plan right now, and can't afford to change it. I also live in rural maine, where I go through Unicel, one of the smaller carriers. I don't think they brand there phones, and because of this prices are often steeper than through the bigger carriers. However, I get a better service.

What makes this hard is that I HAVE to get an unlocked phone because I'm trying to work my way through college and can't afford to pay a higher bill just to knock the price of the phone down a little. Not worth it for me in the long run, also because I won't be using a data plan. I'll basically be using it for a PDA and a phone, with maybe a little e-mail once in a great while.

I just hope I can get the phone unlocked from Palm for something I can afford, because Unicel just got the Treo 650 about a year ago at the most... and probably won't get the 680 for a while.
    If it was released on Sprint with contract I would be looking at $275 and with some effort nagotiating with retentions, maybe a little less...I think this is a good price.
    at&t iPhone3G
    If the hype about this being a "budget Treo" was true then they missed the
    price point for a budget phone by a good $150. Although Cingular's price with rebates of $180 with a 2-year contract is certainly more palatable. If they were looking to attract first time buyers with a cheaper model, however, this is certainly not going to fly. Palm, prepare for dissapointment.
    I don't like to jump around on my cell phone...have been happy for years with my current service.

Why do people who jump ship get a better price than loyal customers..what a load of you know what!

I had thought to "upgrade" from my 650...gotta admit I like the colors and no antenna...but looks like I will be buying some decals and the antenna zoti will be selling!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    "V3i is not $449 without contract, it is $349 at any CompUSA without contract, or $49 with a 2 yr contract going by their last in-store sale."

$75 more for a 680 still sounds reasonable to me.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    For those who think the 680 is overpriced: Show me one other smartphone with the capabilities of the 680 that was introduced at a lower price? I can't think of any. The Q was the same price, with contract, and everyone raved about how cheap IT was.

And you know the price will come down over time, just as it does with every other phone. If the 680 is $200 now, it'll probably be between $100 and $150 in 6 months, and well under a $100 by this time next year.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    For those who think the 680 is overpriced: Show me one other smartphone with the capabilities of the 680 that was introduced at a lower price? I can't think of any. The Q was the same price, with contract, and everyone raved about how cheap IT was.

And you know the price will come down over time, just as it does with every other phone. If the 680 is $200 now, it'll probably be between $100 and $150 in 6 months, and well under a $100 by this time next year.
    I don't have a problem with the $200 (or $174) price of the 2-year contract version. It's the $425 no commitment from Cingular, which leads us to believe that unlocked will be $500+, that's bothersome. Especially since that will be the entry cost for anyone who wants to get one of the colors.

Now if Palm shocks me and releases the Unlocked for $425, that wouldn't be so bad.

I also wouldn't be too sure about that price coming down soon. The 650 is still $549 unlocked, two years after it was released, and now it's EOL (according to the Cingular PPT).
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    My *guess* would be that the price of the unlocked 680 will be close to what the unlocked 650 now costs... $549.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    My *guess* would be that the price of the unlocked 680 will be close to what the unlocked 650 now costs... $549.
    I suspect lower, about $450 or less. There are now about half a dozen UK web sites with the 680 for sale at about that price... and at least some don't appear to have a get out clause if you order it, and it turns out to be more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    If the hype about this being a "budget Treo" was true then they missed the
    price point for a budget phone by a good $150. Although Cingular's price with rebates of $180 with a 2-year contract is certainly more palatable. If they were looking to attract first time buyers with a cheaper model, however, this is certainly not going to fly. Palm, prepare for dissapointment.
    I highly doubt Palm, will be disappointed by the sales of the 680. For those of us that own a 650 now, sure there is debate on whether or not it is an upgrade. For those that have not owned a Treo (and I would imagine a large group of 600 owners) it is an excellent device. To new owners it is not an old OS, it is fresh to them, small, and I would imagine stable (compared to our 650's). I know of 6 people who are eagerly awaiting the 680 who have not owned a Treo before. And yes I'll buy one also, it may not be all the bells and whistles some of us want, but it's new. That right there is enough for me to slap down the cash. I would bet on Palm being impressed with the sales, and definitely not disappointed!!!!!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    I hope you're right, but I have my doubts. To truely appeal to the masses they need a cheaper price. It's not different enough pricewise to look like much of a bargain compared to a 700.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12