1.    #1  
    I was just reading the article on the new Revision A version of EVDO turned on by Sprint in San Diego. I wonder what it means to anyone using a 700P?

Here is the link to an article:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2036453,00.asp

I am hoping it will mean an even greater increase in the speed of connections.

Any one have ideas?

Anyone in San Diego able to test out their speed and post results?

jamesalexander (at) compuserve.com
    I think it means nothing to 700p owners as the radio in the 700p is not upgradable, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $As$ $far$ $as$ $future$ $Treo$'$s$, $the$ $increased$ $capacity$ $should$ $be$ $really$ $nice$.
  3.    #3  
    Guess I should have read the entire article ... this was in the bottom ... hmm.

There's been relatively little talk about phones that will support Rev A, though they're sure to come. Rumor sites have earmarked the HTC Libra, also known as the UT Starcom SMT-5800, as a Rev A Windows Mobile smartphone. It's the next generation of the successful PPC-6700 model; according to Phone Scoop, it will have both a phone keypad and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and will be available early next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnbene View Post
    I was just reading the article on the new Revision A version of EVDO turned on by Sprint in San Diego. I wonder what it means to anyone using a 700P?
    Means that were SOL...the 700p's hardware is NOT upgradable to Rev.A. However, as more Rev.A towers come on-line, Rev.0 devices *may* see an increase in performance as this would free-up some Rev.0 bandwidth.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Means that were SOL...the 700p's hardware is NOT upgradable to Rev.A. However, as more Rev.A towers come on-line, Rev.0 devices *may* see an increase in performance as this would free-up some Rev.0 bandwidth.
    It doesn't really mean we are SOL, because it will still work ... it just means we would not see any signifcant advantage.

The freeing up of bandwidth would be minimal as those other devices still using Rev.0 will likely continue to remain in operation for some time.

But of course, this is something I realized after reading the entire article that I posted.
    It doesn't really mean we are SOL, because it will still work ... :
    huh??? The Qualcomm chipset in the 700p DOES NOT SUPPORT REV.A. ..Unless you are implying that REV.A towers can provide backward-compatability Rev.0 data. That, I'm not sure of and you could be entierly correct.

The freeing up of bandwidth would be minimal as those other devices still using Rev.0 will likely continue to remain in operation for some time.
    The assumtion being that current Rev.0 device owners would ditch their untis and upgrade to Rev.A...thus less Rev.0 through attrition; more bandwidth. BTW...i can attest that this is accurate. I have a Sprint EVDO card for my work-provided laptop that I use on a construction jobsite. Come 3:30pm, the bandwidth comes to a crawl...I can always tell when it's close to "go-home" time.
    wx owners won't enjoy the revision A speeds either as the chipset is not upgradeable either.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  8.    #8  
    huh??? The Qualcomm chipset in the 700p DOES NOT SUPPORT REV.A. ..Unless you are implying that REV.A towers can provide backward-compatability Rev.0 data. That, I'm not sure of and you could be entierly correct.
    No I am not the one suggesting that ... Motorola did though in a document about EVDO Rev B in May of 2006 http://www.motorola.com/networkopera...dorb-paper.pdf :

Backward Compatibility with EV-DO 0/A/B Mobiles
    Historically, CDMA 2000 has had an orderly technology evolution with continuous support for current subscribers. CDMA 2000 has avoided the need for a broad ecosystem turnover and the obsolescence of legacy mobiles. Accommodation of EV-DOr0/A/B devices will likely be addressed by the standard. The 3GPP2 standards body is addressing how legacy EV-DO devices operate in a DOrC network without new spectrum.

The assumtion being that current Rev.0 device owners would ditch their untis and upgrade to Rev.A...thus less Rev.0 through attrition; more bandwidth. BTW...i can attest that this is accurate. I have a Sprint EVDO card for my work-provided laptop that I use on a construction jobsite. Come 3:30pm, the bandwidth comes to a crawl...I can always tell when it's close to "go-home" time.
    The interesting way to read the Motorola document is that this could get worse ... if the current towers serving the EVDO market are upgraded to the Rev,A and then Rev.B but are not increased in capacity, they could be more crowded and service would degrade further. In addition, the people with Rev.A or Rev.B will likely be running even more bandwidth hungry applications which will have negative impacts on all. Hmm ... that is bothesome.
    Don't forget the HTC/Audiovox 6600 had EVDO hardware in it and it was never activated via firmware, they didn't even get the wm5 upgrade.

So having capable-hardware chipset means nothing, unless it comes out enabled, it's never going to be enabled via firmware.
    the HTC Libra, also known as the UT Starcom SMT-5800, as a Rev A Windows Mobile smartphone. It's the next generation of the successful PPC-6700 model; according to Phone Scoop, it will have both a phone keypad and a slide-out QWERTY keyboard, and will be available early next year.
    This phone sounds cool.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve