1.    #1  
    Okay, so one of the reasons not to use Opera Mini on a Palm is the huge footprint of the Java stuff that needs to be installed. I seem to have found a remedy!

Good ol' MSMount5 saves the day! MSMount is a freeware program developed by one of those whacky but brilliant Japanese hobby-programmers, originally meant for PalmOS Sony Clie's but sometimes work on current Palms as well! It lets you put some specific files on the expansion card and let it be treated like they are installed in RAM, unlike Powerrun or Zlauncher where the files are copied into RAM before they are run.

It seems that it works for one of the required Java files to run Opera Mini.

- J9 MIDP Bundle.prc (~700 KB)

(seems that the Palm is running much more stable when only mounting this file. There is another large file that you can mount, but this will destabilize Opera Mini.

It saves a 700KB of RAM!

0) Install Java and Opera Mini as described in the instructions, make sure everything works
    1) Download and hotsync MSMount5 to your Palm
    2) Use Filez or another filemanager to move the two Java files from RAM to /Palm/Programs/MsMount. Check that they're not residing in RAM anymore.
    3) Enable MSMount5 in Prefs >> Other , confirm that it displays "Mounted DB's: 2"
    4) Start Opera Mini on the Palm and enjoy.

Caveats:

- Unfortunately, it seems that the .prc file of Opera Mini itself has to stay in the RAM.
    - You cannot access Prefs >> Other >> IBM Java IM anymore, so please make sure you made the correct settings in RAM before mounting the Java files with MSMount5.

Please report any suggestions or bugs of the instructions above.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 10/27/2006 at 06:30 PM.
  2.    #2  
    But ouch, I can't get it stable for loading large webpages. Maybe I need to play with the Java VM memory settings....

If the Palm crashes, you need to copy the two Java DB's back to RAM, delete it immediately, and then Opera is able to run again with the Java DB's mounted in MSMount5.

Any help in getting it stable from other Palm users is appreciated
    The same can be accomplished with a launcher that handles multiple creator IDs, which is a strong point of ZLauncher. Everything is stored in the ZLauncher applications folder, launched and upon application termination, moved back. Left in memory - nothing that was not there before. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The same can be accomplished with a launcher that handles multiple creator IDs, which is a strong point of ZLauncher. Everything is stored in the ZLauncher applications folder, launched and upon application termination, moved back. Left in memory - nothing that was not there before. Ben
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't moving large files to and from the card take a LOT of time on the 700p? (Even more than it did on the 650?)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't moving large files to and from the card take a LOT of time on the 700p? (Even more than it did on the 650?)
    Exactly. For large applications (>1 MB) this is like 3-5 seconds waiting time 'till everything is copied into RAM. Quite annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Please read more carefully

MSMount does not copy any files anywhere. The files stay on the card and are accessed on-the-go. Powerrun, ZLauncher etc. all have to copy files from the card into the main RAM before they can run it, often causing annoying delays when the files are rather big, such as in this case.

The strength of MSMount - if it works - is that applications start up as fast as they would if they were in RAM, but are actually residing on the card. No more waiting an annoying couple of seconds before the program is started.

I edited my first post to make that more clear.
    Last edited by Gazpacho; 10/27/2006 at 06:30 PM.
    Thanks for clarifying, Gazpacho.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.