Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1.    #1  
    Everyone-
    I've gone through as many online tutorials I can find to try and get my 700p to sync over bluetooth to my linux machine and with each iteration and tutorial I always end up at the same place. When I click the hotsync button, my phone reports "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application". What other application? It doesn't matter if I have kpilot running or nothing listening on the devices at all, I always get the same error. Any idea on how to get around this?

    Also, in all the tutorials I've seen they all talk about setting up a ppp connection to the linux machine, yet when you go through the wizard on the phone itself it just talks about setting up a virtual serial port. Has anyone got a hotsync to work without using a ppp connection and just using /dev/rfcomm0 as the serial device?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksauke View Post
    When I click the hotsync button, my phone reports "Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application". What other application? It doesn't matter if I have kpilot running or nothing listening on the devices at all, I always get the same error. Any idea on how to get around this?

    Also, in all the tutorials I've seen they all talk about setting up a ppp connection to the linux machine, yet when you go through the wizard on the phone itself it just talks about setting up a virtual serial port. Has anyone got a hotsync to work without using a ppp connection and just using /dev/rfcomm0 as the serial device?
    The error message indicates a problem on the Palm, not the PC. Do you have any other bluetooth devices connected, such as a headset? If not, it may be the way you have it set up to sync to a virtual serial port rather than over the network via ppp.

    My setup is the way the tutorials suggest, i.e., via a ppp connection, which means I have hotsync set up for a network hotsync (not a virtual port). You might want to skip the wizard on the phone (I don't think I've ever used it and my device/sync is working properly) and set things up manually.

    Marc
  3. ojai's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mfield View Post
    The error message indicates a problem on the Palm, not the PC. Do you have any other bluetooth devices connected, such as a headset? If not, it may be the way you have it set up to sync to a virtual serial port rather than over the network via ppp.

    My setup is the way the tutorials suggest, i.e., via a ppp connection, which means I have hotsync set up for a network hotsync (not a virtual port). You might want to skip the wizard on the phone (I don't think I've ever used it and my device/sync is working properly) and set things up manually.

    Marc
    Hi Marc,

    Do you remember what the URL was that you used to successfully set up your Treo's bluetooth connection to your linux box? I've got a 680 that I'm trying to do the same on.

    Thanks!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ojai View Post
    Do you remember what the URL was that you used to successfully set up your Treo's bluetooth connection to your linux box? I've got a 680 that I'm trying to do the same on.
    Hi,

    I'm pretty sure I used this one as the basic outline, and if I remember correctly, I used others or extrapolated where the information was out of date (such as for older versions of Palm OS):

    http://howto.pilot-link.org/bluesync/

    Marc
  5. #5  
    sometimes when I try to BT sync I get the same error. I usually do a soft reset and it goes without a hitch. Other times for whatever reason the Palm Desktop likes to switch which port it syncs on. I have to switch it back to port 6.

    Not sure if that will help or not.

    This is all assuming youve set up your virtual port and can "see" the device via your BT manager?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.

Posting Permissions