Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a Treo user since the 600 and a palm user for years. I just upgraded to the 700p and have been having lag problems continuosly. I have followed advice on this board with removing certain programs but still have the issue. I am seriously considering switching to a BB. Its not what I want to do but when Palm continues to release a substandard product it leaves one with no choice. This is very frustrating and it would be nice if Palm would stand up and take ownership of their shortfalls. If they did and announced an update that would resolve these issues I would probably ride it out. I will be getting a replacement unit soon so we will see if the replacement is any better.

Cheers
    ~Life is like hockey... You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!~
    If you are expecting advice you have to be more specific in terms of what programs you ported from your previous device, what carrier you have, and how you are set up for email. If you are just ranting, we hear ya.
    I think you should try different phones to compare the different philosophies each company employs.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks but it is mostly just a vent. My Carrier is VZW. As for email I only have wireless sync runnning all the time nothing else. I have snappermail but it is not autofetch. I do not run anything in the background.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    I think you should try different phones to compare the different philosophies each company employs.
    Unfortunately I am locked into VZW. Bewteen work and the family switching doesnt make sence.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbehringer View Post
    As for email I only have wireless sync runnning all the time nothing else.
    Hmmmm.....perhaps using WirelessSync results in unacceptable lags as the Treo is constantly trying to acquire the Network? I've never launched that nor installed Versamail, and my Verizon unit has no unacceptable lags.
    Im with yea bud. Picking up my 8703e next week. So sick of this horrible lag. Love how Treo releases a bunch of new phones, better stuff, then comes up with an update for a phone no longer being sold! Great...Not a company I want to do business with.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    does anybody know how the push feature works with vzw? I am looking into this resolution as well.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    The push feature? A BB is always connected to data (and gets better battery life then a Treo). When you get a BB you also get an email address for BB. If you don't have a server with BB software you can still take advantage of the push feature. You have two options. You get a link to the VZW BB site which you can mess around with your email settings. Its very simple. First option is to set up emails and passwords directly on this VZW BB page. Your emails will be sent to this site then sent to your device within a min or so. The 2nd option which is easier and faster I think is that you forward all your other email accounts to the XXX@VZW.Blackberry.net email address and you get them instant.

I am sure some other people can explain it better then me. All I know is its very easy and don't get turned off by all the talk of BB servers. You don't need one. Its very simple, clean, flawless and dependable.
    The lag problem is a "feature" (bug) of the file system and one that I have come to accept and work with. I use an application that monitors and clears the db cache at a level that I set and that reduces the problem to a degree.

There is no perfect device out there in the class the Treo series is in. If you want perfection, look to a device that does one or two things.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by samsneed12 View Post
    Im with yea bud. Picking up my 8703e next week. So sick of this horrible lag. Love how Treo releases a bunch of new phones, better stuff, then comes up with an update for a phone no longer being sold! Great...Not a company I want to do business with.

The Treo 650 was solid after the 2nd rom update! Hopefully this will be the same with the 700P when we get our update. The 700p did get a little performance boost when "On Demand" was updated a month ago. The lag is a "pain"
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The lag problem is a "feature" (bug) of the file system and one that I have come to accept and work with. I use an application that monitors and clears the db cache at a level that I set and that reduces the problem to a degree.

There is no perfect device out there in the class the Treo series is in. If you want perfection, look to a device that does one or two things.

Ben
    Why should we settle for a fix or work around at this point in the Treo life cycle? One would think that Palm would work more closely with Palmsource.. I mean Access, to make sure the OS for their phones performs better. (the same would go with M$) It is disappointing that third generation palm OS phones perform worse than the first. I would not call that progress. I can only hope the replacement that is on its way will be better but I fear that will not be as I suspect the lag issue is not hardware but a software issue.
    I'm considering dumping Palm, also. At first I was just going to dump the OS and go to the wx, but I've read there are issues with that one, as well. Now I'm back to considering the Samsung i830w. Either way I'm looking at WM5 devices. Then I can get a slingbox and have a little more fun.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post

Ben
    What program do you use to mangage the DB cache and, tangibly, how much would you say it helps? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
    I'm considering dumping Palm, also. At first I was just going to dump the OS and go to the wx, but I've read there are issues with that one, as well. Now I'm back to considering the Samsung i830w. Either way I'm looking at WM5 devices. Then I can get a slingbox and have a little more fun.
    You know slingbox for Palm is coming out right. They said it on engadget podcast. It's one of those features you lust after but lost interest after you get it.
  16.    #16  
    I have a Dell Axim and just cant get into WM5. It is not as simple or streamlined as the Palm OS. Don't get me wrong I like to hack but I just am having trouble getting into M$. It would be great if Palm would wake up and update the 700.
    I have a Dell Axim and just cant get into WM5. It is not as simple or streamlined as the Palm OS. Don't get me wrong I like to hack but I just am having trouble getting into M$. It would be great if Palm would wake up and update the 700.
    I've heard others that moved from Palm OS to WM have the same complaint. I'm attracted to it because of the ability to multitask, voice dial via BT (except the wx ), slingbox compatibility, and a few other points of interest. It's different for sure, but I'd rather learn WM than have my phone crash EVERY DAY while 'running "phone" application' I'm a Sprint customer, so my alternatives are rather slim. Especially since I have no real interest in BB. I've heard of some pretty interesting phones expected from Sprint, but nothing concrete so I'm working with what I know.
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samsneed12 View Post
    The push feature? A BB is always connected to data (and gets better battery life then a Treo). When you get a BB you also get an email address for BB. If you don't have a server with BB software you can still take advantage of the push feature. You have two options. You get a link to the VZW BB site which you can mess around with your email settings. Its very simple. First option is to set up emails and passwords directly on this VZW BB page. Your emails will be sent to this site then sent to your device within a min or so. The 2nd option which is easier and faster I think is that you forward all your other email accounts to the XXX@VZW.Blackberry.net email address and you get them instant.

I am sure some other people can explain it better then me. All I know is its very easy and don't get turned off by all the talk of BB servers. You don't need one. Its very simple, clean, flawless and dependable.
    samsneed, thanks for the info. that seems to be the option I need. I am going to research this next week. I hate to dump palm, but I need a stable handset and waiting for an update that may or may not be coming is just wasting my time. I use a Treo so I don't waste time.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    I agree it would be nice to have a "perfect" phone, one that builds on every little problem from the previous release, but that is just not possible. The quality though has continued to improve. I started from the 300 and have found each release to be better in some aspect and with the 700P, in most aspects. The 700w that I have also has issues - nothing is perfect.

When you have a device that has to contend with the number of third party applications that Palm's devices do, there are bound to be problems. I sincerely doubt that any other company has to work with the number of variables that Palm does with its line.

As an example, install one third party application to set up your hard keys, install another to setup something else and you choose in that application to assign it to a hard key within the application and now you have a conflict and you forgot which application does what....it snowballs.

Ben

Why should we settle for a fix or work around at this point in the Treo life cycle? One would think that Palm would work more closely with Palmsource.. I mean Access, to make sure the OS for their phones performs better. (the same would go with M$) It is disappointing that third generation palm OS phones perform worse than the first. I would not call that progress. I can only hope the replacement that is on its way will be better but I fear that will not be as I suspect the lag issue is not hardware but a software issue.
    I also have a 700w that I use only for work and it has issues. I am looking at going the 700wx, but who knows. I do know for sure it will also have issues.

Ben

I've heard others that moved from Palm OS to WM have the same complaint. I'm attracted to it because of the ability to multitask, voice dial via BT (except the wx ), slingbox compatibility, and a few other points of interest. It's different for sure, but I'd rather learn WM than have my phone crash EVERY DAY while 'running "phone" application' I'm a Sprint customer, so my alternatives are rather slim. Especially since I have no real interest in BB. I've heard of some pretty interesting phones expected from Sprint, but nothing concrete so I'm working with what I know.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast