Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The db cache is where the real work is done; there are a number of threads discussing what it does and what happens to it, especially when for instance you do a backup - without a sufficient amount of free/contiguous db cache, your device will be unstable.

There are applications that let you monitor it, MemoryInfo is one for manually doing it, another is dbCacheTools or something like that and Preference Doctor from hobbyistsoftware - I use that one. It is set at 4mb on my 650 (and to clear the cache after each application) and 5mb on the 700p and it works very well. The link is www.hobbyistsoftware.com and specifically:

http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/pref-doctor-more.php

I also use Butler: http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/butler-more.php

My Treo 600, 650 and 700p are all solid devices with resets only from playing or installation of applications (I installed Mundu Radio and got a reset after the application on the 700p - after the reset no problems with it or the device itself). During the day each device is trouble free and that is because I have taken the time to ensure I use the latest updates and maintain as much free memory as possible.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by qb11g View Post
    What program do you use to mangage the DB cache and, tangibly, how much would you say it helps? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    You know slingbox for Palm is coming out right. They said it on engadget podcast.
    It is very very doubtful. If you have followed this that is a completly bogus vaporware assertion by endgadget -- not by slingbox.
    I have no 3rd part apps. Maybe versamail is 3rd party I don't know. I have lag and freezing all the time. When it comes to buisness the faster the better. If you guys are interested in watching tv and playing games on your phone you made the right choice. The treo line is great phone for expanding and doing all kinds of neat stuff.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyo1234 View Post
    I have no 3rd part apps. Maybe versamail is 3rd party I don't know. I have lag and freezing all the time. When it comes to buisness the faster the better. If you guys are interested in watching tv and playing games on your phone you made the right choice. The treo line is great phone for expanding and doing all kinds of neat stuff.
    This is my point. One would expect the 700p to work better out of the box. There are people complaining of lag and freezing issues and they have not installed third party software. There seems to be an issue with Versamail but dont you think this should have been caught in testing? Versamail is the "included" email program from Palm. At this point in the game palm should at least have this much working right.
    ~Life is like hockey... You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!~
    I love PALM....I HATE PALM..Love Hate love hate love hate....today i really Hate palm
    434 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    This year I have heard a lot of talk about moving to MS PDA/phone platform.

The way support has been from Palm, I can understand and have considered it myself.

BAD Business decision on the declining Palm business...

Sprint Says; "Hey I have an IDEA,.. lets lock customers in Contracts.. with problematic phones...."
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Also a VZW 700p owner, and I have no lag issues at all. I run ZLauncher which introduces a minimal amount of lag, but other than the 20 sec. white screen when Blazer launches and must dump dbCache, I'm quite pleased with my Palm Treo 700p.

Coming from a long line of Sonys (TH55 is a great PDA, not to be compared with a smartphone), I am just loving how much faster SD access is compared to Sony's Memory Stick (MS). I transfered a Gig of music (MP3s) the other night from my SD to my MS card because I still use the TH55 as an MP3 player. It took about 1 min. to transfer the gig of music from the SD to my hard drive. It took about 12 min. to transfer that gig of music to the MS.

But I've digressed from the point of the thread, sorry! WM5? Not even interested or considering. If you think Palm and Palm devices have issues, take a walk on "the dark side."
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Also a VZW 700p owner, and I have no lag issues at all. I run ZLauncher which introduces a minimal amount of lag, but other than the 20 sec. white screen when Blazer launches and must dump dbCache, I'm quite pleased with my Palm Treo 700p.
    WellsJs,

Im there with ya brother... (im going off topic myself)
    The way I see it (from a Geek/hacker/take it to the limit guy), the Smartphone / PDA is becoming more like a computer. I take it to the limit and make it do things that the creator never thought of or wanted... Then I complain when it's not working or crashes...

For some people the Palm is perfect without problems and does what it should..(If you don't install anything else and out of the Box.) (There are a few of you who got duds I'm aware of that).

Then there are other users who, Like myself.. take it to the limit.. Crash at least 3-4X a day and spend a lot of time repairing & backtracking...
    (I think I do this because it's who I am... I do it with technology and my car all the time.. )
    Ohhh ya, BTW..
    I do believe in profiling... for all you Politically Correct type...)
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw