1.    #1  
    I use KeyGuardTime to monitor my DB cache and DBCache Tool to clear it automatically when necessary. Recently, DBCache tool started clearing the cache more frequently and always shortly after a HotSync or backup. When I checked the cache after a HotSync or backup it would be down to 6 MB or less which is my DBCache Tool threshold and the minimum amount I have observed which Blazer needs to avoid resetting. Today my 700p got stuck on the Verizon signon screen and a soft reset would not get me past it so I took out the battery for about ten minutes and replaced it. It restarted successfully and as a bonus my DB cache handling is back to normal which for me means it will be cleared about once a day. I recommend trying this if you DB Cache usage seems abnormally high.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    The db cache gets trashed after a backup is done, often going down below 1mb which can be a real problem. Butler and Preference Doctor are two good utilities that will keep the db cache in good working order. Ben
    So you're implying that removing the battery for a while affects the dbcache??
    When you remove the battery and put it back in, the Treo will reset and the reset will clear the device; however, it is not a "controlled" reset and data has the tendency of getting deleted. Utilities that clear the db cache attempt to clear it before it reaches a state triggering a reset.

Ben
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The db cache gets trashed after a backup is done, often going down below 1mb which can be a real problem. Butler and Preference Doctor are two good utilities that will keep the db cache in good working order. Ben
    Which function in Butler does this?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    So you're implying that removing the battery for a while affects the dbcache??
    It was probably just a fluke, but it helped in my case (at least for now).
    The Miscellaneous Utilities option - the exchange manager option - this is also duplicated within Preference Doctor. This option may be selected in either application or both (I ran both for two weeks).

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by vflopez View Post
    Which function in Butler does this?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The Miscellaneous Utilities option - the exchange manager option - this is also duplicated within Preference Doctor. This option may be selected in either application or both (I ran both for two weeks).

Ben
    I think we may be talking about two different things. These applications are for preventing the dreaded Lost Preferences when resetting problem. I seen no indication or mention of DB cache management. Am I missing something?
    exchange manager data is not related to dbcache.
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez View Post
    I think we may be talking about two different things. These applications are for preventing the dreaded Lost Preferences when resetting problem. I seen no indication or mention of DB cache management. Am I missing something?
    As dutch and you both said, Exchange Manager (PrefDoctor Cure 1) is to help avoid lost prefs reset. Cure 2 is another approach where the prefs are saved and then restored if they get corrupted. Cure 3 is yet another approach where the prefs db is locked (but note the cautions about enabling this). See menu->Tools->Cure 3.

Cache management is a new feature added to PrefDoctor and functions automatically like dbCacheTool but more reliably like MemoryInfo. For details, see menu->Tools->Cache Management in PrefDoctor v1.29.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Preference Doctor has been expanded, I just did not detail where to look. Ben
    Resco Backup has a good feature that flushes one's DBCache following a backup (and prevents DBCache fragmentation).