1. pkx
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just got my 650 unlocked. Can I use an unbranded firmware upgrade now?

I'd like to upgrade to 1.71/1.20. If I can't use the unbranded one from Palm, any links to threads to custom roms that will guide me through doing this?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    The two items are unconnected. You can use unbranded firmware with a locked phone and branded firmware with an unlocked phone.

The key to switching firmware styles is to find an installer that doesn't check which style you have already installed. Search this forum for references to a "1.23" (I think) beta firmware that meets this criteria. You install that, then you can install the latest unbranded from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4 View Post
    The two items are unconnected. You can use unbranded firmware with a locked phone and branded firmware with an unlocked phone.
    THANK YOU! I've customized my Cingular ROM many times now (also talked a friend into letting me do theirs), yet until this post had no clear-cut answer on whether we could use the Unbranded ROM on (subsidy) Locked Treo 650s.

Somebody please incorporate this explicit statement into the Custom ROM Thread!