Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been a long time Palm OS user from the Palm Personal on up with 3 different Treos. One thing that has really bugged me about the Treo line is not being able to look up contacts by company name. Does any one know if Palm has finally addressed this with the 680? This was an option with all Palms. I have over 1500 Contacts, and many times can't remember the name of the contact so I need to look up by Company Name ie simply entering the first few letter of the company name. The 600 was a big head ache for me since you cold not even view contacts by company name. At least with the 650 you could view by company name, but still lookup is only by first-last name. Its a hassle to have to perform a universal search every time. I don't think you should have to use 3rd party software to add this feature either. Since it was included with all Palms. I'm already syncing with Act through the Act for Palm link.
    When you are in your contacts press the button under your A key (the alt button) and then the key with the magnifying glass. This brings up the Find menu. Type in the company name and it will list all your contacts that have that company name.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    When you are in your contacts press the button under your A key (the alt button) and then the key with the magnifying glass. This brings up the Find menu. Type in the company name and it will list all your contacts that have that company name.
    Thanks for trying to help but

If you read my post......

Thats what I meant by "hassle to perform a univeral search everytime".

Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    This was a BIG gripe of mine as well when I got my T600, and my guess is they haven't corrected this search limitation in the 680 phone app either.

I know you mentioned you weren't interested in third-party applications, but you might want to give TakePhone (www.shshs.com) out for a spin. It has a VERY customizable search mechanism, plus it's search feature is 10x faster than the native Palm contacts app.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    no, your address is wrong. there is no s at the end
    http://www.shsh.com/
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The way I got around it was to put the contacts name under Title and leave the Last name and First name fields blank
    I switched to Keycontacts by Chapura and I can enter first name, last name of company and the results come up instantly. Plus is syncs with MS Outlook Business Contact Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    I have been a long time Palm OS user from the Palm Personal on up with 3 different Treos. One thing that has really bugged me about the Treo line is not being able to look up contacts by company name.
    ......I guess I don't understand your complaint. Using the contacts screen on my T650 I can both sort by company name and also search (use the shift+magnifying glass key). I put in the company name and the appropriate contact comes up.

What am I missing?
    Dennis G. Esler
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor View Post
    Oh I didn't know it, thanks.
    Scouter

Reread post 3
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  11.    #11  
    I think it may have had somthing to do with handspring licensing. I remember when I first got my Treo 180 I was appauld that it didn't have this feature coming off palm pilot 3e, I took this feature for granted.
    Understood, Scotty. Thanks.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Thanks for trying to help but

If you read my post......

Thats what I meant by "hassle to perform a univeral search everytime".

What's wrong with universal search ???
  14.    #14  
    Because while driving its much easier to just enter the first few letter of the company name. Going to the univeral search requires two hands
    Because while driving its much easier to just enter the first few letter of the company name. Going to the univeral search requires two hands
    If you select "sort by company name" under preferences, then you can 1 hand hit letters that will bring up the contacts by company name or last name.

does that work for you to leave your treo with that preference? then you get the one handed operation.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by redgeek View Post
    If you select "sort by company name" under preferences, then you can 1 hand hit letters that will bring up the contacts by company name or last name.

does that work for you to leave your treo with that preference? then you get the one handed operation.
    Actually you can sort by company name but it will only look up by first or last unless there is only a company name in the record with out a first or last name field.
    I have the 700P and use Agenda and when you go to contacts up top they have a drop down arrow and there are a lot of choices to chose from to sort and one of them is by company. Hope that helps you.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    If you are a Microsoft Outlook user, you should definitely check out beyond contacts by dataviz.http://www.dataviz.com I have mine configured, to search last name, first name, and company. So you just start typing, and all contacts that meet the criteria are displayed. It is an excellent product. Ironically, I say this, as I anxiously await a cingular 750 running windows mobile.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcalloway View Post
    If you are a Microsoft Outlook user, you should definitely check out beyond contacts by dataviz.http://www.dataviz.com I have mine configured, to search last name, first name, and company. So you just start typing, and all contacts that meet the criteria are displayed. It is an excellent product. Ironically, I say this, as I anxiously await a cingular 750 running windows mobile.
    If you read the first post I sync with Act 6.0 via the act for palm link so third party software is not an option
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Please forgive me for the oversight. However, it is a shame you don't use outlook. The beyond contacts and outlook combo is hard to beat.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast