Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by captaindan View Post
    I have the 700P and use Agenda and when you go to contacts up top they have a drop down arrow and there are a lot of choices to chose from to sort and one of them is by company. Hope that helps you.
    Yup Agendus rocks!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Yup Agendus rocks!
    Is agendus compatible with act 6.0?
    Originally Posted by captaindan
    I have the 700P and use Agenda and when you go to contacts up top they have a drop down arrow and there are a lot of choices to chose from to sort and one of them is by company. Hope that helps you.

Well the guy wants to do it when he is driving so even if Palm make that standard it's not going to make him happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    Is agendus compatible with act 6.0?
    Not entirely sure but under the Contact settings, the Storage Format option includes Act
    Oh btw, found this thread:
    http://support.iambic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21483
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I agree that not being able to look up a company name is a major hardship. In fact, I may take my 680 back as a result. One possible work around comes to mind. If we could map our hot sync to different fields, the "last name" could become the company name and the "first name" could be the entire contact name. Then you could look up by company name OR contact first name. You can set the 680 to display: Last Name (now the company), First Name (now the entire contact name). Problem solved but how to do it?
    I agree that not being able to look up a company name is a major hardship. In fact, I may take my 680 back as a result. One possible work around comes to mind. If we could map our hot sync to different fields, the "last name" could become the company name and the "first name" could be the entire contact name. Then you could look up by company name OR contact first name. You can set the 680 to display: Last Name (now the company), First Name (now the entire contact name). Problem solved but how to do it?
  7.    #27  
    I sync with act so thats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by dvkim View Post
    I sync with act so thats out.
    I have exactly this problem, I use Act and have just bought the Treo 680 thinking it will work the same way as my old palm pilot but have run into this snag. I have over 1200 contacts and don't remember the names of all the people so I need the ability to look up by company name. Have they still not been able to fix this?
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    This was already mentioned, but I would like to recommend Takephone (www.shsh.com) again. It addresses the searching by company issue and also improves the searching interface making it easier to find and dial contact while driving.

For anyone having problems with searching, give Takephone a test trial. i believe you can try it free for 15 days.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by rharverson View Post
    I have exactly this problem, I use Act and have just bought the Treo 680 thinking it will work the same way as my old palm pilot but have run into this snag. I have over 1200 contacts and don't remember the names of all the people so I need the ability to look up by company name. Have they still not been able to fix this?
    Having to use the universal search function to find company names is a massive headache.

Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL View Post
    This was already mentioned, but I would like to recommend Takephone (www.shsh.com) again. It addresses the searching by company issue and also improves the searching interface making it easier to find and dial contact while driving.

For anyone having problems with searching, give Takephone a test trial. i believe you can try it free for 15 days.
    Hi,

TAKEphONE trial is 30 days.

You can download the latest release at www.shsh.com/takephone, but I would recommend to get the newer pre-release at www.shsh.com/beta

Thanks !
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
    Seems to me, making a category for each the company's you have more than one contact for solves this issue. One handed search/scroll is easily done this way. More of an alphabetical scroll really, but it does I think, what your trying to do.

I didn't read all of the first post tho....
    You can type in the start of the company name and it filters contacts that meet that filter, but the only complication is you also get contacts whose last and first names also meet the filter.

If you type in "PAL", you will get contacts where the company name starts with PAL, where the last name starts with PAL, and where the first name is P and the last name starts with AL. You might also get contacts where the first name starts with PAL as well, but I haven't tested that.

The more of the name you type, the fewer contacts will meet the filter, but there usually doesn't seem much point in typing more than 3 or 4 characters.

The latest 680 Update seems to be a lot quicker on filtering a large contact database. Are other people seeing that too?
    I just bought a 680 and synced with my data from my old E2. I was shocked to find that it won't search through my contacts. It will if I perform a search, but that's a pain. If I just scroll down through my contacts, I have 62 companies that start with A. If I type in A, I only have about 21 listed. I thought I had a software problem with my unit, but after reading this forum, it seems that there are others out there with the same problem. I downloaded TAKEphONE and the search function works fine. It's unfortunate that PALM would release a product with such an obvious problem and not even address it. Anyway, I'm happy for now.
  15.    #35  
    I've been looking for this option since the Treo 90. I'm now jaded with the universal search function for the 50% of the time I can't remember the contact name. What a headache. I've been using Palm OS PDA's for ten years now and took this functionality for granted on the older Palm Pilots. I guess that's progress???
  16.    #36  
    Any one else sync with Act. I've been using this program for years, and have grown to like it.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    DVKIM,

Absolutely! I posted several months ago about this somewhere. Why Palm does not fix this obvious headache is bewildering. We're not talking major software rewrite here, but just a little patch in the app. Being able to use quick keystrokes to find Company Name in the same way names are found is waaaaaay past due on the 680, and apparently other Treos too. Scrolling on NVFS devices and especially the new Contacts/Phone app is horribly slow too.

"Just sort by Company name"
    No, he's already doing that. He just can't remember the 427 sales rep names across all the companies in his DB. Therefore he already sorts by Company and just wants the Contacts app to do the obvious and go directly to the Company when touching the first letter of said company on the keypad. Just like last name the app would go directly to the list of companies matching the keyboard input. All in like 2 seconds max. No stylus, no scrolling, no universal searching, and no :45 headscratching trying to remember that dudes last name over at ABC Inc.

"Just use the universal search"
    The T5 & Treo650 models were first to be blessed (cursed!) with the new Palm Inc. NVFS memory architecture. NVFS took the lightening quick response times of the OS 5.2.1 and older devices and brought them to a Windows like crawl. NVFS saves the day in case of a full battery drain / memory loss, but the stability, incompatibility, and most of all the sluggish issues have drastically changed the "Palm Experience". Universal searching along with soft-resetting are probably the most glaring issue of NVFS Palms. US takes in the minute(s) category now, when my four year old Tungsten T3 searched a full 53mb in a scant few seconds. Even OS4 Dragonball devices searched much faster. US is nearly a joke now and certainly no substitute for an instant selection as already available by last name.

Oh yeah. Has anyone noticed the even US no longer begins searching in the "current app" as it used to? Therefore expect to wait for all the stuff you know you don't need until it begins searching the Contacts DB. Near worthless.

"Takes two hands"
    Not actually. I thot this for some time also. But Palm designed the "function" key (solid blue on the grey 680) function beautifully on the Treo. It actually allows one handed operation, even when doing a US or other entry such as a number. Just tap the "function" key and then the "hourglass" (for example) with the same finger within one second. The search box appears with use of one hand. Wait much longer than a second and the function returns to it's normal state. Ingenious.

"Old & new Contacts apps?"
    If you remember Handspring was absorbed by Palm Inc at about the time the Treo 600 was released. Saved Palm's hiney too. Too bad they didn't kick out the bufoons who clamoured for a seperate independent software company. Both companies actually created the one handed contacts search in question here. The Handspring version won the day on the Treo devices, while the Palm Inc version lived on in the Tungsten and Zires. I loved the one-handed contact find on my T3. It allowed me to quickly get a name with only the 5-way navi and no stylus or keyboard. I could select the number and BT dial my SE T637 which passed the convo instantly to my BT headset. Awesome. The HS app used in Treos has never been as good IMO. But fixing the Company find would go a long way.

"The latest 680 Update seems to be a lot quicker on filtering a large contact database."
    Just loaded last night, but I'll definitely find out soon.

TazUK, without 3rd party help your "Title" swap idea may be a solution. Now if I can just find the time to go thru the 500 or so contacts out of 3,000 with company name and fix it.
    Patrick Horne
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12