1.    #1  
    Guys,

I've benefitted much from advice I've read on this forum (many thanks) and even though I don't have much to contribute, I felt it necessary to let you folks know that a purchase I made on eBay from FabTech turn out to be a fake.

Started having problems a week into the purchae. Called Jabra and the tech asked me a couple of Qs. He finally said that it was a fake. Of the 3 things he asked me to check, I can only remember 2:

1) Asked me to remove the rubber ear seal and give him the 'numbers' that should be around the rim. Mine had none.

2) Asked to check the socket where it connects to the cradle to see if there were 2 'guides'. Mine only has one.

I called FabTech, they said no problem, send it back and they will get me a replacement. I did and the replacement was also fake. Jabra said there might be a possibility that the distributor FabTech purchases from could have lots that were fake. Irregardless, some of you might wanna take note just in case.

Thanks.

Helm A.
    I'll betcha I have a fake too. I got a black one on ebay (I currently have silver).

1)The connect and disconnect sounds are totally different.

2) Major connection dropping issues which we havent really seen with the JX-10s.
    OMG this is nuts! I had my run-ins with a fake sandisk earlier this year, but I would've never thought they'd clone something like a Jx10!!! That is just mind boggling -- if whomever had the engineering finess to create such tiny BT headset, why cant they just manufacturer something original!?
    Thanks for the heads up -- I've definitely been considering buying the headset over ebay for quite sometime... I'll be extra cautious now!
    Just to add to the definity of my earlier statement. I bought this in Black on ebay. After calling Jabra they told me immediately that they do not make it in Black.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I just spoke with Jabra's customer support line and they told me the do make them in black, however, there's no white line or silver line across it, they make them all black, and it's not available in the U.S. yet.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Umm, if the black one isn't available in the u.s. does that mean the ones at treocentral's store are fake? There is no mention of black or burgandy on the jabra site, which I imagine there would be if they actually made them. Interesting, I was just about to order a black one today from TC. Guess i'll just get a plantronics 655 from bestbuy.
    After reading the posts on this and other threads, I called Jabra to try and get some more information. Here it is:

Jabra sells black and burgundy JX10 models, but only in Europe. They look really pretty, and they all have a black stripe down the middle, just like the silver ones do. If you want to take a look, here is the European product page of Jabra:

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/EM/EN/.../JabraJX10.htm

and click on "3 Exclusive Designs". As you can see, the black and burgundy look quite different from those offered for sale on eBay, Amazon, or even TreoCentral. That means those units are probably counterfeit.

The Jabra rep told me that they've had so many fakes from eBay that they now have a new policy: if you buy it from eBay, your warranty is voided even if it is a genuine Jabra product. As for TreoCentral, he said some of the JX10 units offered there are fake and some are genuine. And even if you buy a genuine one, it is likely to be an import from Europe, which means they won't provide any support in the US.

He also told me they're doing everything they can to find and shut down the maker of the counterfeit units in China, but apparently they keep moving their operation, so it's hard to track them down.

Whatever you buy, be careful, but especially so with the JX10. I bought mine from Reliable Wireless Center (www.reliablewirelesscenter.com) in March for about $120 (when it was still new and regularly priced at $200); after going through all the checks with the Jabra guy it seems mine is a genuine Jabra product, even though it was originally destined for Asia; apparently I lucked out because I bought it before the counterfeit makers had time to tool up and flood the market with their fakes. BTW, even today Reliable only sells the silver one; no black or burgundy JX10 to be found on their site.
    A lot has been written about fake JX10s on this and other boards. After a friend and I both had bad experiences with fake black JX10s from eBay, I spent a lot of time and effort trying to figure this out. I think I have, although this appears to be a "moving target" (see below). So I decided to share what I know (offered here without any guarantees, since I cannot speak for Jabra and this is not an official Jabra posting), in the hope that it will help others avoid the pitfalls that seem to be out there.

This post is long and probably boring for some, so let me give you a quick summary of the main points:

1. Most black and burgundy JX10s for sale in the US, and certainly on eBay, are fake.

2. Jabra sells black and burgundy JX10 models, but not in the US; only in Europe and Asia. If you want to see what they look like, go to the European product page of Jabra:

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/EM/EN/.../JabraJX10.htm

and click on "3 Exclusive Designs" (on the right). As you can see, they all have a black stripe down the middle.

3. However, Jabra does, in fact, also sell burgundy JX10s with a silver stripe in the middle. I called their headquarters in Denmark and they confirmed that they had a "Limited Edition" burgundy model for sale in Europe.

4. The Jabra rep told me that they've had so many fakes from eBay that they now have a new policy: if you buy it from eBay, your warranty is voided even if it is a genuine Jabra product. As for Amazon and TreoCentral, he said some of the JX10 units offered there are fake and some are genuine. And even if you buy a genuine one, it is likely to be an import from Europe, which means they won't provide any support in the US; you'll have to call their European support hotline (this actually happened to me when they figured out that my black and burgundy units were European products).

5. The instructions listed on other eBay guides on the differences between genuine and fake JX10s are useful, but incomplete. The counterfeiters read them, and they adjust their products to be even better fakes. That's why I said above that this is a "moving target".

6. The only way to really tell whether a particular JX10 is genuine or fake, is to compare it side-by-side with a genuine one. You need to consider the quality of the materials and the workmanship, the tactile feedback of the buttons, and the quality of sound when the unit operates. Cosmetic details can be duplicated by counterfeiters; quality is much harder to fake.

7. The only place that I have found selling genuine black and burgundy JX10s is MSG Distributors, on the web at www.msgdigital.com. They also own the Reliable Wireless Center website at www.reliablewirelesscenter.com, but they're phasing that site out. I bought both a black and a burgundy JX10 from them, and they both passed every test thrown at them by me, the Jabra guys in the US, and the Jabra guys in Denmark. If these units are fake, they are the best fakes I've ever seen in my life. But I am 99.99% sure they are genuine Jabra units, sold at very competitive prices.

8. If you want to read more details about how to distinguish a genuine JX10 from a fake one, read on. But be aware that the counterfeiters are going to read this as well, so in a few weeks they will have new counterfeit products that may pass most of the tests in this list. Let's hope that Jabra will succeed in their efforts to find and shut down the maker of the counterfeit units in China; apparently they keep moving their operation, so it's hard to track them down.

So, how can you tell a genuine from a fake unit? It's all in the details. I have listed below all the things I know to look for, and I've added pictures for illustration whenever possible. These pictures show a genuine black JX10 on the left (always) and a pretty good fake black JX10 on the right (always). Here we go:

1. Look at the box:

- The genuine unit is boxed in a high-quality smooth black carton with a yellow spine box with two transparent round plastic-covered openings; the first one (near the bottom) is visible from the outside and through it you can see the headset itself; the second one (near the top) is visible only after you open the front cover, and through it you can see the charging base. Some fake units come in a poor-quality carton box without any openings; however, the good fakes use a very similar box.

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/s/000/77/36/855b_2.JPG

- In the genuine unit, the front cover of the box has a velcro attachment to the rest of the box; in the fake one, the top cover simply swings open.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/04/s/000/77/36/855f_2.JPG

- In the genuine unit, there is a sticker with multiple number sequences and barcodes on the yellow spine of the box; in the fake one, the sticker is on the bottom of the box and it has only one number sequence and only one barcode.

http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/s/000/77/36/8563_2.JPG

- In the genuine unit, the back cover of the box shows pictures of a black JX10 with a black stripe; in the fake one, those pictures are of a silver JX10 with a black stripe.

http://i12.ebayimg.com/05/s/000/77/36/8567_2.JPG

2. Look at the accessories inside the box:

- The genuine black unit comes with a black charging base with a silver stripe; the fake black unit comes with a silver charging base with a silver stripe, same as the genuine silver units. There is no burgundy charging base, so genuine burgundy JX10s come either with a silver base with a silver stripe or a black base with a silver stripe (this is according to Jabra headquarters in Denmark).

http://i22.ebayimg.com/06/s/000/77/36/8579_2.JPG

- The genuine unit comes with a soft suede black pouch that has a "snap" top (snaps closed and has to be pried open), with a black (almost indistinguishable) "Jabra" logo, and is enclosed in a plastic resealable pouch; the fake unit comes with a rough velour black pouch that has a pullstring top and white "Jabra" logo.

- The genuine unit comes a USB charging cable that has yellow warning stickers on it and is enclosed in a resealable plastic bag along with the instructions on how to use that cable; in the fake unit the USB charging cable has no yellow warning stickers and is not enclosed in a plastic bag.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/06/s/000/77/36/8574_2.JPG

3. Look at the headsets themselves:

- The genuine unit has a black stripe; the fake one has a white stripe.

- The genuine unit has a very thin, almost invisible, removable transparent plastic film covering its top surface; the fake one has an ill-fitting thick removable plastic film.

- The genuine unit has a "metallic" black color with lots of tiny reflective surfaces in the black paint; the fake one is more of a solid glossy black color.

- The genuine unit has a solid-feeling earhook with little tiny bumps in regular intervals across its surface (some of those bumps are barely visible in the picture below); the fake one has a flimsy-feeling earhook with a smooth surface, no tiny bumps.

- The genuine unit has a "milky" cover on the LED light; the fake one has a clear cover on the LED light.

- The genuine unit has multiple numbers (FCC #, IC #, manufacturer #, serial #, CE logo) under the rubber earpiece ring; older fakes don't have those numbers, but newer ones do. As I said, counterfeiters read these guides too and improve their imitation products.

- The genuine unit has a charger input with only one plastic protrusion on the top right corner; older fakes have two such protrusions on both the top right and top left corners; again, newer fakes have adapted.

- Press the buttons; the genuine unit has buttons with soft tactile feedback: you can feel when the button is being pressed because the resistance against your finger changes; the fake ones have buttons without any feedback, so you can't feel them being pressed.

http://i11.ebayimg.com/05/s/000/77/36/73cf_2.JPG

4. Turn on the headset and pair it with your phone:

- The genuine unit makes an increasing progressive soft sound when it is turned on, and a decreasing progressive soft sound when it is turned off. Older fakes make just a beep when turned on or off; newer fakes attempt to imitate the progressive "on" sound, but still only beep when being turned off.

- The genuine unit makes soft confirming sounds when being paired with the phone; the fake unit just "beeps".

- The genuine unit has excellent sound quality when used to make or receive calls; the fake unit typically will have poor sound quality and lots of hissing.

It's very hard to describe these sounds, and that's why I said above that the only way to tell for sure is to have a genuine unit and compare its operation with that of the unit you have doubts about. I know this isn't exactly foolproof, but it's the best I can do.

I hope this helps reduce the number of problems people have been experiencing with these counterfeit units. Good luck to you, and good luck to Jabra when hunting down those who manufacture, distribute, and sell these counterfeit units.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ikanell; 11/28/2006 at 11:48 PM. Reason: fix typos, add more pictures
    Seems like I just received a fake Burgundy unit from eBay (boy I wished I read this guide before!), but there a few differences about it that make it match the genuine one more.

- the box is exactly the same as the genuine one except the back picture is that of a silver JX10 with a black stripe. I'm not sure if that's the actual Burgundy box, but all the velcro and stickers are on there properly

- all the numbers are under the rubber seal on the unit itself

- I've got a silver-striped one, which is OK, but the sides of the unit are silver as well, which none of the JX10s seem to have? I've only seen black-sided ones.

- LED cover is clear

- speaker is not flush with rubber cover as it is in the genuine one

- shutdown tone is two beeps only

- charging stand is silver with a silver stripe

- oh yeah, it pairs with my 680 but that's it, doesn't work

I guess it won't be easy to get a genuine Burgundy JX10 in Canada, eh?

EDIT: Got the thing working now, and it's decent. It's pretty, but also pretty fake. Oh well, what do you expect for $30?
    Last edited by +Kardboard+; 03/02/2007 at 10:03 PM.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA