Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    All of the announcements I've read say that the Treo 680 is a GSM phone. In the past, when Palm announced phones that were CDMA capable, they mentioned that too, right? (Like with the Treo 600/650 launches).

    My main question is: Is there no CDMA Treo 680? I've been waiting on this Treo for a long time, and if it isn't going to come out for Sprint, I'm going to pick up a 650.

    I just don't want to wait longer if it's never coming. Can someone put my mind to ease?

    Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. #2  
    I think Palm will release a CDMA 680 in the future, but knowing them, it's probably going to be a while. But as for now, you'll probably be waiting a while. How much are you looking to spend on your 650? It may just be worth your while to get a 700p instead.
  3. #3  
    There has been NO GSM Treo since the 650. If you are on Sprint or Verizon, you now have the choice of 3 new Treos since the 650, that being the 700w, 700p and now the 700wx. Why would you get a 650 with the newer 700 series out now for Sprint, especially since they just announced lower prices?
    Rewards Network

    Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

    Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

    Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    There has been NO GSM Treo since the 650. If you are on Sprint or Verizon, you now have the choice of 3 new Treos since the 650, that being the 700w, 700p and now the 700wx. Why would you get a 650 with the newer 700 series out now for Sprint, especially since they just announced lower prices?


    I want a Treo 680, not a Treo 650? And I want the 680 because it's brand new, cheap, and the most modern -- I'm just upset because it appears initially that there are only GSM Treo 680's, and no CDMA versions, which would alienate Verizon and Sprint customers.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante View Post
    I think Palm will release a CDMA 680 in the future, but knowing them, it's probably going to be a while. But as for now, you'll probably be waiting a while. How much are you looking to spend on your 650? It may just be worth your while to get a 700p instead.
    Why do you say it'll be a while? Hasn't Sprint been on the ball with older Treo releases?

    I just want the 680 so badly. Argh.
  6. #6  
    Once again,

    You have to wait your turn. Us GSM users have waited 2+ years to get our hands on a new treo while we watched the CDMA users get the 700p/w/wx. Now it is our turn to get the new 750/680, it is the way the universe works.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjyBoy View Post
    Once again,

    You have to wait your turn. Us GSM users have waited 2+ years to get our hands on a new treo while we watched the CDMA users get the 700p/w/wx. Now it is our turn to get the new 750/680, it is the way the universe works.
    Whoa, I didn't know that. That's stupid.

    So PalmOne skips generations between GSM and CDMA, essentially? Is that what you're telling me? Everyone got the 650, CDMA got the 700, and now GSM gets the 680/750? And CDMA will get.. the 800/850 or whatever the future holds?

    I really hope that isn't a trend that PalmOne/Sprint/Verizon are intentionally setting, because that's really, really stupid on a number of levels. Who's going to buy a Palm 700p in two years? That's like buying a Palm 600 brand new now.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2007 View Post


    I want a Treo 680, not a Treo 650? And I want the 680 because it's brand new, cheap, and the most modern -- I'm just upset because it appears initially that there are only GSM Treo 680's, and no CDMA versions, which would alienate Verizon and Sprint customers.
    Welcome to the forum by the way!! I think what I was saying, is that Palm has released 3 CDMA Treos since the last GSM Treo, at the risk of alienating it's GSM customers. Palm is now going to release the 680 and 750 (750 already released overseas) for it's GSM faithful. Us GSM Treo users have been waiting a VERY, VERY long time, and it is difficult to hear a complaint from the cdma camp who has had 3 new models released since the 650. Believe me, we understand the frustration of having to wait for your version of the shiny new Treo model to come out, but unfortunately, it is GSM time now, so, you will have to 1) Change to Cingular and enjoy a shiny new Treo 680 (Hooray!!! )....or 2) um, wait your turn like us GSMer's have been for a very long time!!! No offense, and again, welcome to the forum!!!
    Rewards Network

    Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

    Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

    Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  9.    #9  
    Ah, well thanks for the welcome Matt.

    I don't mean to offend you or Ben -- I had no idea GSM had to wait for a Treo. I just don't understand why Palm wouldn't release their new Treos for -everybody- all at once. In terms of revenue earning, that would make more sense then letting people use Treos in one area while releasing new ones for others and having it all mish-mashed up.

    I have a Tungsten E and a craptacular Sanyo cell phone that I want to merge into one -- and I bought a Samsung i500 to do that (ugh). It's really not what I want.

    I've been waiting on the Treo 680 to be the pinnacle of what I'm looking for, that's why I'm so eager for it. For me, it's not like the Treo skipped my generation -- or I even got in the last generation -- I've never even set foot on the boat!

    I really hope I don't have to wait 2 years to get a Treo 680. My condolences to you guys with GSM who were basically put out in the cold.. that's really poor business practice by Palm.

    I'm not sure what to say about that.

    I'm just really bummed to think I'm stuck with this i500 for another year? or two maybe? Before I can get a decent, or newer, Treo. This i500 is so old and poor it makes your 600's and 650's look like 700p's. lol..
  10. #10  
    Unfortunately, because of the different technologies involved, it is not as easy as releasing one device for both CDMA and GSM. I do not see a 680 for CDMA anytime soon, if ever. If you are not going to switch to a GSM carrier and get a Cingular or Unlocked 680, I would strongly encourage you to research one of the 700 series Treos. I have heard very good things, and it would certainly give you a very high quality convergent device.

    Otherwise, I hope we get to welcome you to the GSM world, and the new 680 of your dreams (as soon as it is officially released).
    Rewards Network

    Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

    Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

    Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  11.    #11  
    It's not that I would be opposed to switching, because I'm not. The problem is that there isn't a good GSM carrier in my area, which is Central Wisconsin. (Zip Code 54455).
  12. #12  
    have you seen a antenna less cdma smartphone?
  13. #13  
    Treo 680==Treo 700p (minus EVDO). I don't get it, what are you guys talking aout.
  14. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Treo 680==Treo 700p (minus EVDO). I don't get it, what are you guys talking aout.
    Hey it comes in pretty colours too
  15. #15  
    yeah the only thing the 680 has over the 700 is the cool sleeker design besides that the 700 has more features then the 680 thats why its the 680 and palm didnt name it the 780 its not really an upgrade jus a cool looking phone, im not dissin it at all i honestly love it and would love to have it but the 700 gives u all it has to offer plus more
    Got Treo?
  16. #16  
    Oh, and one other difference... GSM vs. CDMA!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  17.    #17  
    Yeah but the kicker is the 680 is an affordable phone I could justify. The 700p is really, really expensive..
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2007 View Post
    Yeah but the kicker is the 680 is an affordable phone I could justify. The 700p is really, really expensive..
    1. It's not.

    2. It's $100 more expensive because it's faster.

    3. You still save more money with the 700p after data plan cost.
  19. Danitaz's Avatar
    Posts
    295 Posts
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Treo 680==Treo 700p (minus EVDO). I don't get it, what are you guys talking aout.
    Well, we're mostly talking about the fact that those of us really interested in the 680 can't use a 700p (and I will not buy a Windows phone <g>). So it's a silly argument about why we would want it. We want it because we need GSM, and it's the only choice we have in the Treo market!

    Danita
  20. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #20  
    Palm's far more liklely to take the 680 formfactor, insert the CDMA EVDO radio from the 700p, and call it the 750p. That way Sprint & Verizon can have a higher priced, higher-margin final Palm OS device to sell through '07.

    Such a device would be the best of the 680 (no antenna, slimmer, new phone app) with the few improved bits of the 700p (EVDO, 1.3mp camera, voice recorder app). If the lag & bugs were eliminated and the BT stack up to snuff it'd make a nice swan song for the Palm OS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions