1.    #1  
    I wrote to Snappermail to inquire about the prospects of PGP support, both for mail encryption and for protection of the stored mail on an SD card. I got the following reply. I take it to mean that the company is considering the prospect but isn't convinced. If others are interested, I suggest you write in to support@snappermail.com.

-----

We have a long requested features list and PGP is on it. Recently, we have been waylaid by stability issues with the NVFS memory management on Palm OS.

However, feedback like yours is important, and we will review the priorities and difficulty in implementing PGP.

Thanks for your interest.
  2.    #2  
    By the way, I pointed out that it's very hard for me to argue for Treos as Blackberry alternatives in my company, when BB has PGP support. And RIM wrote its own -- PGP Corp assisted with technical advice, but BB's customers demanded it and RIM responded. That info comes to me from senior folks at PGP Corp., who have no plans to update the long-defunct PGP Mobile for Palm.
    This sounds like something that Palm should add support for, not third-parties. The odds of Snapper (or Chatter) adding this in the near to mid-term are exactly zero.

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    This sounds like something that Palm should add support for, not third-parties. The odds of Snapper (or Chatter) adding this in the near to mid-term are exactly zero.

Marc
    You may be right. To whom should I address the request at Palm? Is anyone else here interested? I'm frankly amazed at how little folks seem to care about data security on a mobile device.
    I think you'll find little support for PGP among Treo users, at least from my experience. Most email users of mine don't even use SSL.

As far as who to contact, that's a tough one. SSL functionality is PalmSource's department, but who knows where the relationship between Palm and PalmSource (Access) is now...

Marc