1.    #1  
    I have the side button on my 650 configured to go to the camera application on a long press. It would be really useful if I could use a short press on this button to turn Bluetooth on and off when I get into my car, not least because I can reach the button without taking the phone out of the case.

The default OS doesn't allow me to do this. Is there some third-party application which will allow me to use this button as a Bluetooth switch?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    No idea...good luck, let us know if you find one.
    That's actually a pretty cool idea. Probably can with the BTtoggle program and something that can map that key to it. Something like that?
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    There is an application called "BTOff" and another called "BTOn" - written by the wild guy at Hobbyist Software - you might try those. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by spl23 View Post
    I have the side button on my 650 configured to go to the camera application on a long press. It would be really useful if I could use a short press on this button to turn Bluetooth on and off when I get into my car, not least because I can reach the button without taking the phone out of the case.

The default OS doesn't allow me to do this. Is there some third-party application which will allow me to use this button as a Bluetooth switch?
    I don't see any reason to do this.. Bluetooth doesn't use any significant amount of battery, and if you leave Discoverable off nobody is going to do any funny business with it, so why bother?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    I don't see any reason to do this.. Bluetooth doesn't use any significant amount of battery, and if you leave Discoverable off nobody is going to do any funny business with it, so why bother?
    Because Bluetooth *does* use a significant amount of battery! OK, not as much as leaving the screen on, but switching the BT radio off will increase your battery life.

It's more extreme if you have, for example, a BT car kit that maintains a connection to the phone, as the one in my BMW does - with that connected, the power drain is very noticeable, just as a result of being in the car with the Treo. The ability to quickly turn BT on and off would result in a noticeable saving in this situation.

For now, I have installed BT Toggle, which allows me to switch BT on and off by holding the phone key for 1 second - not perfect, but a lot better than fiddling about with the stylus.

On another point, it would have been useful if Palm could have linked the Bluetooth radio to the cellular radio, so that turning the phone off automatically turned off the BT, and vice-versa. For a lot of people (myself included) the only reason for BT is to connect headsets and car kits, and by definition, you don't need to do that if the cellular connection is switched off. It's a pity BT Toggle isn't being developed any longer - I think this would be quite a neat feature to add to it.
    I want the ability to personally control the Bluetooth operation - there are times when I use it without the radio being on. Ben
    Well, here is what I did:

I got BTon, made a shortcut on a Favorites Button, attached BTon application to it, Put Quick Key shortcut as "B"

So, just press and hold B and BT is turned on. Press and hold B again, the bluetooth, Bluetooth program opens, use 5-way to move to OFF, press center button, and the same program also turns bluetooth off.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    Well, here is what I did:

I got BTon, made a shortcut on a Favorites Button, attached BTon application to it, Put Quick Key shortcut as "B"

So, just press and hold B and BT is turned on. Press and hold B again, the bluetooth, Bluetooth program opens, use 5-way to move to OFF, press center button, and the same program also turns bluetooth off.
    That's only 1 quick press of the center button less than the delivered functionality of the Treo. I just have BT mapped to a favorite and with Butler, Keylauncher enabled, can press and hold the B button anytime to get to BT to turn on/off.
    Quote Originally Posted by spl23 View Post
    Because Bluetooth *does* use a significant amount of battery! OK, not as much as leaving the screen on, but switching the BT radio off will increase your battery life.

It's more extreme if you have, for example, a BT car kit that maintains a connection to the phone, as the one in my BMW does - with that connected, the power drain is very noticeable, just as a result of being in the car with the Treo. The ability to quickly turn BT on and off would result in a noticeable saving in this situation.
    I can see that.... If it's connected to something it does take additional battery. However if it's not paired with something, and it's not discoverable, it doesn't use any more battery. That's pretty well established, you can search if you still question that.