1.    #1  
    Having recently discovered the true BEAUTY of having movies on my treo and (soon) having a new movie player to boot http://coreplayer.com/content/category/4/15/29/ I was curious how the video performance of the treo 700p stacks up in comparison to that of the 650 (which I currently own). For me, I use TCPMP and have no issues with skipping/framerates at all. I am actually enthralled with the speed and quality which our 320x320 treos produce (go PalmOS! ).
    After sifting through many posts about the lag issues with the 700p, I have come to believe that these issues deal mainly with switching from application to application and not necessarily with the performance of the app itself. Is this true?

Are those of you who watch movies just as content as you were with your 650's?

I'm not looking for benchmark scores, just personal observations.
    I'm not typically one of these people who love to whine about the 700p. I think it's fantastic and generally a huge improvement over the 650. However, this it the ONE area where it's not as good.

The 650 was easy to overclock with PXAclocker. This allowed me to watch larger movies (700x400 or whatever the standard size is for downloaded TV shows). The 700p can't be overclocked, so you need to watch movies that are 320x320

Tynan

www.betterthanyourboyfriend.com
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I use TCPMP with my 700p, and it works perfectly for me. No lagging or skipping. I convert DVDs to 320x240 MPEG4 movies around 24 fps using Handbrake. Audio sync can be a little off, but is easily corrected from within TCPMP.

I have learned, though, that the novelty of watching any video for more than a few minutes on that small screen has worn off for me...
    Last edited by dcpmark; 10/24/2006 at 05:38 PM.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    700P user here, no problems at all with TCPMP and watching movies. I use a Mac so I convert using Handbrake. Movies come out perfect. I prefer to do TV shows as they fit the screen better, most movies are letter box (wide screen) making them a tad too small for me. Shows that look great on my Treo:

Sopranos
    Lost
    Smallville

Well that's all so far, but I love it.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    It pretty much takes whatever I throw at it. If it plays I little slow if I check the DITHER COLORS option in the prefs and it seems fine. Actually I leave that on all the time. 640x480 podcasts slow a bit, but are generally fine. I tried a bunch of .avi TV and movie files that a friend got via BitTorrent and they all seemed to play fine.

640x480 very high quality can start to drag it down.

Documentary stuff is pretty good to keep on there if you don't need to watch the visuals all the time (the screen is too small).

I never got it to be very happy playing podcasted H.264 files (that's using an older codec with version .72 and trying an older version with the proper codec).

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for your input!
    Handbrake for Mac....what about Windows????

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A FREE CONVERTER SUITABLE FOR WINDOWS?
    To clarify on my above post on avi and other tv/movie files. When tested I didn't bother to convert them from their current size to 320x320. I just let TCMP (72) scale them for me and they were great. No conversion necessary.

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    To clarify on my above post on avi and other tv/movie files. When tested I didn't bother to convert them from their current size to 320x320. I just let TCMP (72) scale them for me and they were great. No conversion necessary.
    Converting to 320x240 saves a ton of space, though, especially if you are converting full-length DVDs and still want them to look and sound good.
    I've been using TCPMP and its great. Picture quality is really good. I've watched tv shows and movies with no problem. I used to think that it would be silly to watch a movie on such a small screen, but its not, and looks great. I forget the size of the screen while I'm watching the movie.
    Remember, this is my opinion ! We all have a right to our own.....

Treo's 650-800..NOW,
    Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by nchargreed View Post
    Handbrake for Mac....what about Windows????

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A FREE CONVERTER SUITABLE FOR WINDOWS?
    Nero Recode 2. Use the AVC codec and use the AVC and AAC decoders with TCPMP.
    i have super troopers on my card and i simply watch it through "pics and videos" and it works great...no frameskipping or lagging....great sound...i have TCMP but it for some reason doesnt play these movies
    I still use Kinoma for making mp4s from home movies, etc., but for direct conversion of DVDs to a format compatible with TCPMP, I really like HandBrake. For whatever reason, the mp4s ripped from DVDs look better at 400 kbps with Handbrake than 800 kbps made with Kinoma. (Though Kinoma has a much more user friendly interface.) Here are my preferred settings:

Framerate: same as source
    Encoder: FFmpeg
    Average bitrate: 400 kbps (with this bitrate a 2 hour DVD requires about 375 MB of SD card space)
    2-pass encoding
    File format: MP4 file
    Codecs: MPEG-4 Video / AAC audio
    Sample rate: 22000 Hz
    Bitrate: 48 kbps
    Picture settings: adjust scaling and cropping to get 320 x 320 video; I prefer this to letterboxing.

The videos look and sound great on the 650 using the TCPMP player, though the sound level somewhat weak for playing through the Treo's external speaker. Also it takes a long time to do the 2-pass encoding (roughly as long as the actual playing time of the DVD), but the file size to quality ratio is worth it.
    I'm testing a bunch of DVD encoders for Windows today. I'll report back later.
    Quote Originally Posted by cornrow View Post
    I'm not typically one of these people who love to whine about the 700p. I think it's fantastic and generally a huge improvement over the 650. However, this it the ONE area where it's not as good.

The 650 was easy to overclock with PXAclocker. This allowed me to watch larger movies (700x400 or whatever the standard size is for downloaded TV shows). The 700p can't be overclocked, so you need to watch movies that are 320x320

Tynan

www.betterthanyourboyfriend.com

Who says it can't be overclocked? I've overclocked my Treo to 390mhz and it ran pretty well. I don't overclock anymore because I don't feel I need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPlank View Post
    Who says it can't be overclocked? I've overclocked my Treo to 390mhz and it ran pretty well. I don't overclock anymore because I don't feel I need to.
    Try it and see. The 700p can't be overclocked like the 650 can.