1.    #1  
    There are many security software on Palm OS for Plam devices, inlcuding Treo.

But I am not sure which one can protect me in the following situation:

I lose my Palm unit, and someone who picks it up managed to do a hotsync of my unit on his PC (maybe he happens to know my hotsync name). Although my confidential data are all marked and stored in as "private" data in the device protected with a password, he can still view those data using simple desktop document software such as Notepad to open the data file once the hotsync is performed, without having to enter any password (of course if he uses Palm desktop software to view, he would need a password to view all "private" data).

That is what I found out, by opening the data files using NotePad, and I was totally surprised that most "private" data can be seen, bypassing the password totally!

If anyone knows of any software that could prevent that from happening. Iwould appreciate it if he could share that with me, and with everyone else.

Thanks.

Daniel
    I have Butler which allows you to send a SMS to your phone to wipe the RAM and/or SD card if and when your phone is lost. Of course, you have to realize it is lost, but believe you me, me and my treo don't get far apart often!

I find the encryption software and the necessary password too cumbersome and would rather leave things wide open and have the ability to remotely wipe the phone if needed.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Remote wipe only works if they don't get to the data first.

What I do is keep sensitive info in a zip-encrypted text file on the SD card. Then I choose a 20+ -digit password to add an extra feeling of security. Resco Explorer makes this easy, since you can edit text files within a zip archive (after entering the pwd, of course), and save the changes without having to re-zip and re-encrypt. (Thanks Resco.)
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    If you're just worried about things like passwords, account numbers, and so on, there are many "password locker" programs that encrypt your data, both in the Treo and on the PC/Mac. SplashID is a commercial program that does this.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    I have Butler which allows you to send a SMS to your phone to wipe the RAM and/or SD card if and when your phone is lost. Of course, you have to realize it is lost, but believe you me, me and my treo don't get far apart often!

I find the encryption software and the necessary password too cumbersome and would rather leave things wide open and have the ability to remotely wipe the phone if needed.
    Ditto, ditto, ditto! I just played with the TealLock 6 beta the other day, and while they are implementing some neat things, I still found it too clumsy with the phone.

As for what if someone gets to the data first, well . . . that's a good reason not to lose it at a party and suffer through a 3-day hangover!
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst View Post
    If you're just worried about things like passwords, account numbers, and so on, there are many "password locker" programs that encrypt your data, both in the Treo and on the PC/Mac. SplashID is a commercial program that does this.

-Warr
    I used SplashID for years. The problem was that I wouldn't have access to the info on my work PC. I really do prefer the zip-encrypted text files now, but SplashID is definitely easier.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Keyring is free and secure..
    Quote Originally Posted by dspong View Post
    There are many security software on Palm OS for Plam devices, inlcuding Treo.

But I am not sure which one can protect me in the following situation:

I lose my Palm unit, and someone who picks it up managed to do a hotsync of my unit on his PC (maybe he happens to know my hotsync name). Although my confidential data are all marked and stored in as "private" data in the device protected with a password, he can still view those data using simple desktop document software such as Notepad to open the data file once the hotsync is performed, without having to enter any password (of course if he uses Palm desktop software to view, he would need a password to view all "private" data).

That is what I found out, by opening the data files using NotePad, and I was totally surprised that most "private" data can be seen, bypassing the password totally!

If anyone knows of any software that could prevent that from happening. Iwould appreciate it if he could share that with me, and with everyone else.

Thanks.

Daniel
    Have you tried Warden Security? Corsoft Warden helps you secure your Treo and by protecting your data, it provides you the peace of mind in case you lose your device. Warden works in an unobtrusive way to help you avoid passwords everyday when the device is in your control and enables you to lock the device remotely when it is misplaced or lost.

Few useful links:
    Msafe, Warden, TealLock review:
    http://mytreo.net/archives/2006/04/t...on-review.html

For more information on Warden, visit:
    http://corsoft.com/warden.asp
    Tim K
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I used SplashID for years. The problem was that I wouldn't have access to the info on my work PC. I really do prefer the zip-encrypted text files now, but SplashID is definitely easier.
    Huh? I don't get it. SplashID has a desktop application that syncs with the Palm application. Why don't you have access to the info on your PC?
    Have you tried handbase 3.5pro? It has password protection feature can lock basically all your data in handbase.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for all the different advice.

Maybe I forgot to mention that my confidential data are now all stored in MemoPad of the Plam application (marked "private").

If I do not wish to re-key in all the confidential data into a new security application, is there anyway to "scramble" the confidential data so that the "private" data in the data file cannot be viewed by, say, NotePad from a desktop?

Thanks.
    I also use HanDBase to secure my data. Why pay for a program when I can create a database to capture the data. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Ditto, ditto, ditto! I just played with the TealLock 6 beta the other day, and while they are implementing some neat things, I still found it too clumsy with the phone.

As for what if someone gets to the data first, well . . . that's a good reason not to lose it at a party and suffer through a 3-day hangover!
    How do you do this in Butler? I do not see the option.

Thanks
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    There is no "Locking Security" in Butler, just the "Remote Lock" via SMS functionality.

Since my above aged post, I have since gone with PalmPowerups' BluePill (turned off feature in Butler) as it does the remote lock/wipe thing much more obscurely, and I paid the nominal upgrade for TealLock 6.06b and it is working great for local protection. The phone and SMS messaging applications, if set up properly in the settings, work great and unhindered with TealLock.

TealLock also has an SMS destroy/lock function, but again I feel BluePill does it better and quicker and is worth another $8.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/09/2006 at 08:23 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre