Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I’ve been lurking for a quite a while now and am seeing that the reactions to the 680 are some what mixed. You have your smart phone experts who are screaming as to why the latest in technology has yet to be integrated, the avalanche of 650 users debating an upgrade, and then the people who simply aren’t going to buy the damn thing anyway yet feel the need to throw in their 2 cents.

I never had a smart phone. I’ve had cellular service for quite a few years now and never departed from my brand loyalty: Nokia. Yet when I started to see all the coverage of the Treo 680 on Engadget I was left baffled as to what opinion I had of the device. I always wanted something with a QWERTY keyboard since I text and email a lot more than I talk. I always wanted a PDA since my life is held together by a wallet full of post-its, but I didn’t want to have to carry yet another device.

I’m on my last year of undergraduate studies and will most certainly be going to graduate school. I’ve reached a point in my life where I simply can’t keep organized by means of a notepad and paper. I’ve never owned a smart phone, but have always have friends who had them. Of course they let me use them, and of course I wanted one but nearly fainted when I saw the price tags of over $600.

The Treo 680 is a fantastic product, all the reviews pouring in from people who went to Digital Life are saying that, yet I can’t help but feel that this is a product that isn’t bringing anything new to the table, except price. This is not inherently a bad thing. People who have been smart phone curious for a while will wonder why the hell the 680 is cheaper than the competition, yet people who would have never even considered the device will see that there are more options out there then your typical candy bar of flip fone.

What I’m trying to say is: listen I know the 680 isn’t the latest and greatest in tech, but I’m not buying it for that, I’m buying it for price. If this thing is in the correct range then it will sell like crack, if not then it will be a footnote in Treo history while the rest of the tight community awaits the 800 series Treo.

$199 = I’m going to buy it without hesitation; Smart phone market increases.
    $299 = I’m going to wait till the phone is out and see whether or not it is actually worth my time and effort to buy this thing.
    $399 = You can keep the Treo, I’m going to buy another $5 agenda.

EDIT: I plan on ordering unlocked from Palm.com depending on price, and yes first post
    Last edited by DevilsRejection; 10/23/2006 at 10:15 PM.
    before you apply for grad schools, weather should be spelled whether.

Anyways, joking aside: WSJ is reporting 199 with a contract, and we know that the WSJ is a VERY reputable business source. They don't print gossip, unless its a horrible opinion column. Some "insiders" at cingular are saying it might even be free if you get the data package for it too. What does all this info tell me? That a price <200 is most likely. Regardless, a treo @$400 isn't a significantly lower price point unless Ed Colligan is trying to be a jerk. Anything below $250 and it'll sell. Below $150 and it'll be a hit. Free? Palm won't be able to keep up with demand.
  3.    #3  
    thanks for catching me on that, and do you think $299 unlocked is a possible price?

the waiting is nerve racking, i have google sending me a daily report of all treo 680 coverage in my email, hoping to catch something.
    680 is great as a first purchase or for someone with 600. Most complaints are from 650 users. It is not such a good option for them as an upgrade.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    If the 680 is around $100 or less with contract, I will definitely pick one up and I will be delighted with the upgrade from my T600, and I will wait to purchase a 750, and maybe end up waiting for the Treo 800 or whatever. The 750 is what I really want, but if the price difference is more than $200, I don't think I'll be able to justify that, especially with what I'm hearing now that Cingular's UMTS coverage is not really as extensive as their maps claim, so if the 680 really is that cheap, I'll wait for a 750 price drop. But my suspicion is that the 680 will be around $350 unlocked and around $200 with contract.
    I'm really thinking 399 unlocked. The Motorola Q for instance was supposed to be a 'cheap' alternative to the Treo, and that cost something like 199 with a plan but retails for 400+
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsRejection View Post
    ...EDIT: I plan on ordering unlocked from Palm.com depending on price, and yes first post
    You can be pretty sure it'll be between $399 and $499. The unlocked 650 still sells for $549 on palm.com with no plan ($199 w/new plan). Palm knows that people who insist on an unlocked phone will pay more. BTW, to get a 680 in red, orange, or white you will have to buy it from a retailer or palm.com.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    what people that talk about the price being the "big thing" are forgetting is that there are now several sub 200 smartphones out there (plus they pack in more features).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  9.    #9  
    links?

i never took the side kick 3 as a serious competitor, but now i'm thinking about it since people are telling me that the keyboard is the best on any qwerty device out now.

honestly like i said, all i want is an amazing PIM
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    before you apply for grad schools, weather should be spelled whether.

Anyways, joking aside: ...
    Before you offer spelling criticism... "Anyways" is not a word.
    Actually, it is a word in Alabama. Mississipppi. Louisiana. Georgia. Arkansas. Tennessee. Virginia. Both Carolinas. Not in Texas. They're still working on nuclear.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I had my Treo 650 for a year and a half and got tired of waiting for a new Treo to hit the market. I sold it and bought an HTC 8125 7 months ago. The brick covers my entire face, has the processor of a graphing calculator, and half the features that WM5 boasts having can't be used because the 8125 is so slow. WiFi is my only plus.

The 8125 is so terrible that I bought a Sidekick 3 to replace it, but at $400 for prepaid, it was returned within 6 hours. Roomy keyboard, cool swivel screen, AIM *and* MSN *and* Yahoo , same phone as the SKII, but with a trackball, MP3 player, and a new look.

I'd buy the Treo 680 at (almost) any cost. I think Palm is still selling Treo 650's for $550 so they can recoup the funds when they sell the 680's for free/cheap... just my guess. The pictures make it look smaller in your hand. I'd buy it for that.
    Try searching Froogle -- you'll see prices online. As more retailers put the 680 into their inventory, we'll start seeing prices. Currently, there are two prices listed: $600 at Mobilecity (US - no availability listed), and $450 at some place in the UK (and said to be available 11/12 but that could mean December since it is the UK).

Not very encouraging: hopefully these early resellers are trying to sell at a high price because they are early...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    I had my Treo 650 for a year and a half and got tired of waiting for a new Treo to hit the market. I sold it and bought an HTC 8125 7 months ago. The brick covers my entire face, has the processor of a graphing calculator, and half the features that WM5 boasts having can't be used because the 8125 is so slow. WiFi is my only plus.

The 8125 is so terrible that I bought a Sidekick 3 to replace it, but at $400 for prepaid, it was returned within 6 hours. Roomy keyboard, cool swivel screen, AIM *and* MSN *and* Yahoo , same phone as the SKII, but with a trackball, MP3 player, and a new look.

I'd buy the Treo 680 at (almost) any cost. I think Palm is still selling Treo 650's for $550 so they can recoup the funds when they sell the 680's for free/cheap... just my guess. The pictures make it look smaller in your hand. I'd buy it for that.
    so you don't like the SKIII?
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Didn't the brick of a 650 also cover your whole face? After all the 8125 and the 650 are the same size. Actually the 8125 is a little smaller.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Global Posts
    392 Global Posts
    I think we can argue about the 680 because of palm's past track record,
    people are asking for an update to the 700p and they release one for the 650. then the 700w get's upgraded to the wx but only on certain carriers, now they release the 680 but no carriers according to palm. What kind of problems will this model have? Well I guess that's a different topic.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    the SK3 was a pointless upgrade for SKII users, similar to the 650-680 situation. nothing worth $400 was added. Before I discovered the 650 I had a SKII.

For non SK3 users who don't have anything to go on, it's a great phone.

Now about this 8125.. the Treo form factor makes it look like an attractive brick, if a brick at all. Compared to the new phones HTC is rolling out, the 8125 looks like HTC was behind on a due date and didn't have time to make it look nice.

Dare to compare:
    http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/02/cing_8125-3.jpg
    http://cache.gizmodo.com/archives/im...0_official.jpg

The Treo is thinner and slightly longer. The 8125 is short and stubby. I like thinner and slightly longer.
    Last edited by stl08; 10/25/2006 at 07:07 PM. Reason: hit submit accidentally
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .

Size doesn't change based on who is measuring it.

I think people just don't how it (8125) look when it's open. Vertical slider look a lot better when it's open. Samsung you hear me work on a decent wm5 phone stat!
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    the SK3 was a pointless upgrade for SKII users, similar to the 650-680 situation. nothing worth $400 was added. Before I discovered the 650 I had a SKII.

For non SK3 users who don't have anything to go on, it's a great phone.

Now about this 8125.. the Treo form factor makes it look like an attractive brick, if a brick at all. Compared to the new phones HTC is rolling out, the 8125 looks like HTC was behind on a due date and didn't have time to make it look nice.
    Cingular supposedly requested that the 8125 have a "corporate" look. I prefer the rounded off edge versions, but the 8125 actually doesn't look that bad in person.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast