Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Arg, I am really upset. It has been almost a year since the Treo 650 GSM firmware update 1.20 Ena. Since then, Palm has been coming out with new phones left and right and doing nothing to stabilize the 650. Then they release Versamail 3.5.1, a 'new' version that should sync contacts as well as calendar and email. So I try this new version and guess what? It only works with the newer versions of calendar and contacts!!!! Which of course don't exist as separate files, only as part of the rom of a Palm 680. Why did Palm choose to sell the Versamail upgrade and then give it to us as files vs. a rom upgrade with the required additional files? What bs! I have an answer of course... find someone with a 680, extract the rom to get the new calendar and contact apps and libraries and lpad everything into a custom T650 rom. It's not that bad, but why didn't Palm do this six months ago? I figure anyone with a 680, 750V or 700p who has exchange active sync working for calendar, contacts and email, has the rom we need. Will one of you get in touch with me please? It's either that or I go to a Sprint store and suck the apps right off one of their treos...
    grrrrrrrrrr.....
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
  2. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    If you get all of the files provided when you buy the new Versamail on the Palm web site, it will give you new contacts and calandar apps.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Hmm,
    That sounds wonderful. Sadly if you do a search on Calendarlib-P1CL you find that some folks have installed the new Versamail 3.5.1 on their Treo 650s only to find that it won't sync or that it reboots. And it gives them an error about that library being too old.

Do you have the new Versamail working? On what device? Do you know the names of the files that get installed, as from what I could tell the install app only loads the Versamail applications.
    Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    If you get all of the files provided when you buy the new Versamail on the Palm web site, it will give you new contacts and calandar apps.
    It just might be that it is looking for an updated app from a higher ROM version (very possible). To that end that is where you are getting that message. Per my other post, its not necessarly a Palm issue, but a carrier one if the ROM version isnt where the VersaMail app can be run on it.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I have an unlocked GSM treo 650. I actually went to the Cingular download page and it let me download the new Versamail with my serial number and without having to pay the $10 (I'm not sure that this page still exists). After making sure that everything worked, I made a custom rom based on instructions from this thread http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ry+connect+rom
    making sure to add in this update http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...remupdate.html
    and installed it.

Everything works very well for me - I have Calandar, Email, and Contacts all updating wirelessly (it's scheduled to do so every 30 minutes).
    Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    I have an unlocked GSM treo 650. I actually went to the Cingular download page and it let me download the new Versamail with my serial number and without having to pay the $10 (I'm not sure that this page still exists).
    What? Where? How? When?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    is the best answer to just use a better mail tool than VersaMail, like SnapperMail?
  8. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    What? Where? How? When?
    The free download for the Cingular 650 is here http://web.palm.com/software/bbc.jhtml

The blackberry connect version includes the updated Versamail that can do contacts sync.
    Will I be able to install just Versamail 3.5.1 and not the BB client?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  10. gw1
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I followed some manual install instructions (from one of the threads on this board) and was able to install just Versamail and the other updates.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    OK! A positive update. After many hours of ROM tweaking, I have a stable ROM that actually works! Using the thoughts here about the Blackberry Connect helped, and yes, you all were right, the needed helper apps were tucked into the install. The Blackberry Connect files are for Version 3.5 of Versamail, btw. I created a new 650 rom using these apps, and a few from the Palm 700p, and elsewhere. I now have built-in Versamail that syncs calendar, contacts and email with Exchange, built-in VPN, eWallet, upDupe, Filez, Beampro, Ringo and Voice Memo! (Commerical apps were installed without their codes so the ROM works for anyone, if you want to use the apps, just register them) Fun, fun, fun. Everything works well, and its been several hours and the Treo hasn't reset and is quietly syncing stuff in the background! It's like having a completely new gadget to play with. I am using Fastmode Blazer browser, Version 4.3 and it is quite quick and doesn't crash (yet). I used the Romtool from www.grack.com/romtool and the 700p files from a downloaded image and a Sprint phone I "borrowed" for a few minutes.

What I really want to know is why I am doing Palm's work for them? The ROM I just built should have come out six months ago, updating the 650 nicely. Instead, folks who aren't willing to work on this would have to settle for old Treo features or go buy a whole new phone. Next question... who wants one of these nice custom roms and how can I get it to you?
    Mike
    "and the 700p files from a downloaded image and a Sprint phone I "borrowed" for a few minutes"

Once someone posted the link, I did the same last night. What does the above sentence mean? What did you get from the 700P? All the files I put in were the updated ones for the 650, if there are better 700P files I'd love to know which ones work and where to get them.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    From the 700p I am wanted Blazer. No dice, it reset loops the Treo. But clock works, along with the new launcher, vpn panel I'd have to check what else. Once the 680 comes out, I think I'll be able to use a lot of it's files. The bluetooth drivers would be especially interesting.

So far, the Treo hasn't crashed at all today! And it is running the intermediate version of Blazer, not v5 but the fastmode one.
    Mike
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by z3bum View Post
    Next question... who wants one of these nice custom roms and how can I get it to you?
    Mike
    Can you email me a copy of that ROM? First--is it still working stable?

Thanks,
    John
    Interested in the Wonderful ROM update you created as well. Please let me know how to get it.

Also, How has it been working?

Thanks!
    I'd be interested in one too.
    I want to try your rom too. Please send me at montais@yahoo.com. Thanks.