1.    #1  
    What is there to be gained or lost by applying the Cingular ROM to my unlocked GSM Treo 650? I swapped carriers today moving over to Cingular. Since this wasn't a Cingular phone, I am wondering if I need to swap to "their" ROM to pick up some of their service apps.

I am at 1.71 / 1.20 if I am not mistaken.

If I can/do swap ROMs, can I get back to where I was.

I know there is a procedure for backing up and restoring my apps after I do so I will probably need that link to.

Oh yeah...Is there a Cingular Proxy to use in Blazer?
    That section is different than the Cing ROM. I don't have this defined as I have the unlock GSM ROM.

Please advise as to what I should do. Thanks,

Mickey
    No need to do this, just keep your unlocked 1.20 ROM, your better off with it. I have the same phone and all I had to do is pop in my Cingular SIM and it had all of the media net settings automatically set. One recommendation is to change the default DNS servers that Cingular gives you, default servers are complete crap. Go to your apps screen "Prefs", "Network," at the top next to service it should say MEdia Net. Go to "Modify" hit "Yes" Rename this connection so you can pick it out in the future. Now go to "Details," "Advanced," uncheck "Query DNS."
    Type in for:
    Primary DNS: 4.2.2.1
    Secondary DNS: 192.135.250.69

Now hit "ok," "ok," "Connect" and "Done"
    Make sure you always connect using this profile.

Now if you want the MEdia Net homepage on Blazer hit the "set proxy" button in Blazer option and set it to 66.209.11.32 Port: 80

Enjoy
    If your's is an unbranded GSM Treo, you won't be able to install Cingular ROM without major hacking (custom ROM's). Most people prefer the unbranded ROM, as it doesn't have things like Xpress Mail.

No proxies are needed for Cingular functions.

I'd say that leave the phone ROM alone and install the applications you need.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    No proxies are needed for Cingular functions.
    You need to add the Blazer proxy in order to access the MEdia Net homepage.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by codered54 View Post

Now if you want the MEdia Net homepage on Blazer hit the "set proxy" button in Blazer option and set it to 66.209.11.32 Port: 80

Enjoy
    Thanks for all the advice. Now how to get to the MEdia Net hompage from Blazer?

--Mick
    Quote Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. Now how to get to the MEdia Net hompage from Blazer?

--Mick
    Set your home page to http://device.home/
    Quote Originally Posted by codered54 View Post
    You need to add the Blazer proxy in order to access the MEdia Net homepage.
    Ah. Did not know that. I never bother with their MEdia Net content. I just need their connection pipeline to the rest of the 'net.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8.    #8  
    Thanks all -that worked like a charm. DNS works, Proxy works and MEdiaNet works.

Does the Proxy impede performance when normal browsing? It appears acceptable.

--Mick
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    Most people prefer the unbranded ROM, as it doesn't have things like Xpress Mail.
    The Cingular firmware doesn't have Xpress Mail. It does have a "shortcut" to download it, but that is all. (Admittedly, it is 82K of a shortcut, but it's not the whole application.)

The most significant disadvantage of the Cinguilar firmware is that it disables some of the options in the Phone application, such as details in the call log, but that is easily overridden with an alternate phone.prc.