1.    #1  
    Mentioned on the Datebk website was a way to share your entire calender database with another datebk 6 user, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I wrote an email to tech support, and 2 hours later got a personal reply with intructions. It is in the new Datebk 6 manual, I had just missed it, on the bottom of Page 75.

Anyway, why would someone want to do that? I have complicated calender that I would like to share with my wife, so she can access it, but without it "taking over" her calender. This method allows switching between the two databases or showing them at the same time. It utilizes the appointment categories. Most of us don't use appt categories so all of our appts are listed as unfiled. Here is how I did it:

1. On the phone where you want to maintain a copy of your calender, go to Options, Appt. Categories
    2. On that page, chose the edit button
    3. Click the New button, add a new category, i.e., your name
    4. Delete the built in personal and business categories
    5. Now go to Options, Preferences, Beam Recieve
    6. Choose and highlight the "override Sender" button
    7. Check the checkbox next to: "predelete all events in category"
    8. and next to "and put in:" pick the name of the new category you created (your name)
    9. Now, go to Options, Preferences, Advanced Settings
    10. Check the box next to "unfiled category can be hidden"
    11. Click ok and you are now ready.
    12. go back to your phone, choose Options, Beam Category
    13. Click the "Select Categories to Beam..." button
    14. Choose "unfiled" , then OK, then OK again.
    15. It will now beam your entire calender to the other phone, and the other phone will force that data into a category with "your name" or whatever you chose.
    16. On the other phone, to look at one or the other database, you choose Options, Appt. Categories, and on that page you can choose to look at the unfiled (the calender intrinsic to that phone), or the "your name" calender database, or both at the same time.

Anyway, hope someone else finds this as useful as I did! Datebk 6 is a fantastic program and one of the main reasons I will not any time in the near future move away from the POS!

Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Wow, that's quite an explanation.

Actually, I've been beaming my entire calendar from one Palm/Treo unit to another for the past several years.

I use the "FileZ" app and tap on View and Edit Files, and Internal to reveal hidden files.

Then check the item "CalendarDB-PDat" (I think) and press Send and Beam.

The above action will beam the entire calendar from one Palm/Treo handheld to another.

I also use FileZ to beam the entire Contacts database, plus Memos, and Tasks from one Palm/Treo to another.

FileZ is great for beaming the above files when you don't want to mess around with doing a Hotsynch that might cause problems between different handheld units.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  3.    #3  
    The difference with this arrangement is that it maintains the two databases separate from one another. My wife can keep a copy of my calender database on her treo, separate from her own. To update her version, I just beam my databases again, this set-up predeletes the data from the prior beaming and replaces it with the fresh data.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    The difference with this arrangement is that it maintains the two databases separate from one another. My wife can keep a copy of my calender database on her treo, separate from her own. To update her version, I just beam my databases again, this set-up predeletes the data from the prior beaming and replaces it with the fresh data.
    Ohhh, okay...makes sense. On another note, I'd be scared to death to beam my calendar to my wife. I wouldn't live to see tomorrow!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Ohhh, okay...makes sense. On another note, I'd be scared to death to beam my calendar to my wife. I wouldn't live to see tomorrow!

Nanotechnology Nerd
    You guys should check out www.airset.com it's free and allow you to have multiple calendars. Plus it sync's with outlook and palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer View Post
    Mentioned on the Datebk website was a way to share your entire calender database with another datebk 6 user, but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I wrote an email to tech support, and 2 hours later got a personal reply with intructions. It is in the new Datebk 6 manual, I had just missed it, on the bottom of Page 75.

Anyway, why would someone want to do that? I have complicated calender that I would like to share with my wife, so she can access it, but without it "taking over" her calender. This method allows switching between the two databases or showing them at the same time. It utilizes the appointment categories. Most of us don't use appt categories so all of our appts are listed as unfiled. Here is how I did it:

1. On the phone where you want to maintain a copy of your calender, go to Options, Appt. Categories
    2. On that page, chose the edit button
    3. Click the New button, add a new category, i.e., your name
    4. Delete the built in personal and business categories
    5. Now go to Options, Preferences, Beam Recieve
    6. Choose and highlight the "override Sender" button
    7. Check the checkbox next to: "predelete all events in category"
    8. and next to "and put in:" pick the name of the new category you created (your name)
    9. Now, go to Options, Preferences, Advanced Settings
    10. Check the box next to "unfiled category can be hidden"
    11. Click ok and you are now ready.
    12. go back to your phone, choose Options, Beam Category
    13. Click the "Select Categories to Beam..." button
    14. Choose "unfiled" , then OK, then OK again.
    15. It will now beam your entire calender to the other phone, and the other phone will force that data into a category with "your name" or whatever you chose.
    16. On the other phone, to look at one or the other database, you choose Options, Appt. Categories, and on that page you can choose to look at the unfiled (the calender intrinsic to that phone), or the "your name" calender database, or both at the same time.

Anyway, hope someone else finds this as useful as I did! Datebk 6 is a fantastic program and one of the main reasons I will not any time in the near future move away from the POS!

holy crap! too much work
    Fred
    Cingular 680