Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

This is my first post here, and I also posted the following on Treonauts. A little background: I've got an old Samsung i500 that has been absolutely rock-solid for me and I loathe the idea of going back to a bigger phone/PDA, but the time has come. I can't live without Palm OS (my last 3 phones were Palms), so that leaves me with the Treo line. Samsung was really onto something with that i500 form factor - the thing is indestructible - but I'm getting OT...

So I've been researching 650's and 700p's for weeks now and honestly, I've almost talked myself out of either because of all the issues I've read about (freezes, reboots, white screen lag, etc.). I know the nature of forums is that you'll generally only find problems, but good grief, is the 700p reliable for anyone? Is a firmware update even likely now that the 680 and 750 have been announced?

It really bugs me that all the glowing reviews I've read mention none of these issues.

The Treo feature list is hard to ignore, but I don't have the time or patience to deal with a buggy device. On that note, would a 650 be a better choice? Have they gotten stable in their 'old' age? I just want a stable, reliable Treo that I don't have to reset every day or deal with other compromises.

Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Jim
    I absolutely love my 700p. Been using it for about 2 months now after having left the palm crowd for ppc a few times. I was never really happy with anything else as a result of the better software library out there for palm.

I get no resets, and while a lot of people complain the phone is laggy, I find it's not really bad at all. Maybe I'm just patient though...

the only problem I've EVER had with my 700p is some resets when a sms came in, and that was a result of the butler software. It's a excellent device, one of the best CDMA phones out at the moment.
    I love my Treo 700p. If you do not install too many 3rd party software, you should be fine. There are minor issues here are there, but nothing that would make me wish I had something else. In my humble opinion, it is the best phone in the market today.
    even with no 3rd party software using the verizon software, my 700p locks up with heavy MMS use
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    other than bluetooth connectivity issues its a great device
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I love my 700P. I've had it for about 4 months and it's a huge upgrade from the 600 for me (which I also loved). No regrets at all. I removed Versamail and have chattermail installed and I really do feel that's the main culprit in the slowdown issues. My treo is quick, responsive and gets very few resets.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I upgraded to this 700P from an extremely stable GSM 600. I owned that 600 for three and a half years with no replacements and probably less than ten resets. So I do understand your concerns about stability. I bought my 700P back in May and absolutely love the device. The only instability I ever encounter seems to be bluetooth related. Usually this manifests itself in a soft reset. I don't use a bluetooth headset, but leverage a bluetooth GPS receiver (GlobalSat 339) for my TomTom navigation software and my Golf software (StarCaddy). The stability of TomTom seems to have improved with version 6, so it's better. I've been able to eliminate the white screen lags on my Treo by avoiding Versamail (I use ChatterEmail instead). Opening Versamail just once will give you irritating phone screen lags (I also disabled its HotSync conduit for good measure).

I have a ton of software on the device and I can't imagine my life without it. I think there's a lot of useful information on this web site about what can make your phone more or less stable . One thing I can say is that I did not upgrade to a 650 when it came out because it had the same amount of memory as my 600. But, since the memory format had shifted to non-volatile (to allow for the device to not lose data when all power is lost), data on my 600 would take up more space on the 650. This is true of the 700P as well, but the 700P has nearly three times the user accessible memory as the 650. I have a lot of great apps installed and still have 46.3 MB of free space available. The 650 also doesn't support 4GB SD Cards (without a custom ROM) or offer EVDO data speeds.

One last thought. No matter which you choose, there are so many little utilities that greatly improve the useability of this device and allow you to better customize it to fit your needs. Good Luck!
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    I Love My Treo 700P, works like a charm.
    I've had my Treo 700p since it came out and it's never failed me. It's been spilled on and still works as good as the day I got it.
    I love my 700p and I have tons of 3rd party sw including agendus pre and your call which everyone compains about. I don't have chatter i use snapper mail instead. I have NEVER had a reset that i didn't cause.
    Treoing & Loving it
    I love my 700p, have had it since May, but it DEFINITELY needs a firmware upgrade to fix the bugs.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I love the 700p, bugs and all.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    I really like my Treo 700p. Sure the lag can be a factor every once in a while, but you deal with it and I certainly am not losing sleep over it. I hardly ever have any resets (maybe two or three times every couple of months) and Blazer and Versamail are 1,000 times better than they were on the 650. I can't imagine using any other phone right now. If a firmware update fixes any of the problems you have read about, the 700p will be simply awesome. Without such an update, it's a great device anyway.

If you do decide to grab one, and you have serious issues, return it before it is too late for another one. My first 700p had SERIOUS lags despite hard resets. My second one is ten times better.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Even though a firmware upgrade is needed, 700p is still my favorite device. It's certainly not a device for those who just want a simple phone as effort is needed to deal with issues. Good luck in your decision!
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Ditto for me too. My 700P has been extremely stable, especially since I did away with Voice Dial and VersaMail and went to SnapperMail. I backup each night with RBackup and soft reset afterwards. I have no random reset problems and really no issues of any type. It has been great and especially now since we now have EVDO in NM. The only thing I would change is to add WiFi - even support of SD based WiFi - since I do travel where there is no VZ phone service but WiFi in most motels.

Frank
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    I have a love hate relationship with my 700p. I have had mine since July and am on my third phone due to a card eject problem and the blasted bluetooth connectivity issue. All in all, I am happy with it and was amazed at the difference from the 650 to the 700p. I have been a long time user of POS(palm operating system, not the other acronym) dating back to a Deluxe visor. I always say to new users, try it and if you don't like it, take it back during the trial period. This way it cost you nothing.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Love my 700P except for the bluetooth connection. Upgraded from a 650. Had the 700 for about a week. No lockups or resets. Didn't hot sync my old 650 stuff into the 700. Did a clean install and it's working great.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I was embarrassed with the 650 and reset issues... considering the price..

Now with the 700p, I don't get hardly any lockups.. There is a def. lag after using for some time... They should def. come out with a upgrade fix for it.
    I install everything I get my hands on... (Of course using REscobackup, the most important App around..doesn't backup Bluetooth device db though)

Still have Bluetooth db corruption.

I still am dealing with an app conflict... Of the SD insert not detecting... Eject is detected fine.. The only way to resolve is do a long soft reset( 10sec.)
    Besides this main pain in the A$$, it's great. Still having problems finding the culprit.. If anyone has any suggestions... I have Palm Internals installed.., what do I look at/for using it?

theecigarman,

What SD Eject issue are you ref. to? Anything like the above?

Temp. band aide- Paid and using CradleCare to help solve the SD issue.
    Last edited by Wilsonb; 10/31/2006 at 06:15 PM.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Also, am using PXA clocker and am overclocking... With the Lag problem., it's hard to tell if it helps speed thing up at all..

Anyone use this app? If so, do you turn on/off any internal I/O ?
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I've had my 700p for almost 5 months now and its been everything I expected it to be. A sexy *** buggy phone which kills my nokia 6810 as a pda.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast