Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    The irony is that you can't find one thread in the WM section of someone "switching" to PalmOS (who wasn't a previous PalmOS user).

Ultimately though I went back to WM5 (700wx) and I cringe when I look at PalmOS now: I feel like I'm using a Commodore.
    I've been using WM on an MDA, but I'm now evaluating moving to Sprint. I'm trialing the 700P because the sales guy told me it was the only Sprint device that could do Bluetooth DUN. I've since learned from a Sprint CS person who uses an 8703 that the BB can also do it. Can the 700 WM do it? Thanks. (BTW, has anyone tried and compared the Bluetooth DUN on the 700P vs. the 8703? Thanks again.)
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    I've been using WM on an MDA, but I'm now evaluating moving to Sprint. I'm trialing the 700P because the sales guy told me it was the only Sprint device that could do Bluetooth DUN. I've since learned from a Sprint CS person who uses an 8703 that the BB can also do it. Can the 700 WM do it? Thanks. (BTW, has anyone tried and compared the Bluetooth DUN on the 700P vs. the 8703? Thanks again.)
    700wx support BT DUN, especially for macs.

Just get PdaNet to avoid any billing/tethering costs.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    People who are long time PalmOS users who "switch" for one-week and then go back take the easy way: stick with what you already know, since it is obviously more difficult to learn a new OS. No one learns how to use a OS, it's terminology, available software, etc in one-week. So nothing "fair" about that.
    I got comfortable with WM5 pretty quickly; my problems weren't derived from not knowing the system. It's not rocket science to use a PDA. Maybe the fact that you feel that a week is not enough to get to know the device says it all abot "ease of use."

For software I added Pocket Informant (and then Agenda One), resco Explorer, Pocket Mechanic, Pocketplayer, Selectradio and Flexmail. I also added Magic Button, the most imprtant app by far in my opinion

If you hold a 700p and 700wx side-by-side and perform the same functions in sequence (make an appt to get email to search google to make a call), you get stalled on the 700wx many,many times with "spinning wheel" delays, conection hang ups, etc.

One major problem for me was the delay in my appointments catching up with pages changes as I scrolled through any datebook system on WM5. I would get a date that looked available, only to look again and see that a previous appointment had finally loaded after a delay.

Add to that the WX's dim 240x240 screen and, for me, its a no brainer.

If you like the WX, then stick with it; you're happy with your PDA- there's no problem- why get so upset because I have a different opinion?
    Last edited by zeze22; 11/13/2006 at 06:41 AM.
    A 700p is definitely easier to use than a 700w/wx. I learned this quickly when making the switch. However, I prefer the 700wx for my uses.

The way I see it is this:

700p - Great for those who want little fuss and overall ease of use. With the exception of a few bugs which should be fixed with a ROM upgrade, its a pretty solid device.

700wx - Great phone for powerusers with a modern OS and lots of room for tweaking.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quite Pleased. Just got it last Thursday. Loaded all my key apps from my 600 (updated version , where applicable). Haven't had a hitch, except the well-documented white screen, which already no longer bothers me.
    I have had my Treo 700P for about two months now. I am very happy with it, no problems at all (not even "the well documented white screen").
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    Maybe the fact that you feel that a week is not enough to get to know the device says it all abot "ease of use."
    Did you read my post? I said the exact same thing about the Treo 650. So maybe that says a lot of PalmOS too. Can you learn about all of those "issues" I had in one week? Did you figure out dbcache and lost preferences in one week? Chatter? I highly doubt it.
    If you hold a 700p and 700wx side-by-side and perform the same functions in sequence (make an appt to get email to search google to make a call), you get stalled on the 700wx many,many times with "spinning wheel" delays, conection hang ups, etc.
    I obviously disagree since I own a 650 which is faster than a 700p and still prefer Wm5. I mean be serious for a second: if I or others experienced frequent "connection hang ups" or if it was so "painfully slow" why would we even bother with the device?

Maybe, just maybe your 1 week of use resulted in a very different user experience?

If you like the WX, then stick with it; you're happy with your PDA- there's no problem- why get so upset because I have a different opinion?
    I'm not upset and I could care less what anyone here or elsewhere uses.

The point I was trying to make (that obviously flew over your head) was that it is all relative from where you start regarding "ease of use" or "more intuitive" or "better OS".

I just consider this whole PalmOS forum slightly biased against competing OSs.

Um, no it doesn't. I tried it. You need to add third party software. I tried USB modem and it constantly locked up the Treo if you transfered over 200k of data.

The only WM Treo that supports native BT DUN is the 750v.

700wx support BT DUN, especially for macs.

Just get PdaNet to avoid any billing/tethering costs.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    Um, no it doesn't. I tried it. You need to add third party software. I tried USB modem and it constantly locked up the Treo if you transfered over 200k of data.

The only WM Treo that supports native BT DUN is the 750v.
    3rd party software as in PdaNet which I linked to in that same post and you quoted?

Even if it did support BT dun directly, he would STILL need PdaNet to avoid heavy tethering costs from Sprint. Ipso facto if you want to use your Treo (700p/wx) for a modem with Sprint or Verizon, you'll need PdaNet which does support BT Dun.

Yes, I read your post. You stated that it supports BT DUN and you could use PDAnet to avoid tethering. You didn't specify that PDAnet was required. Also if someone has a Mac, PDAnet:
    1.) Can only be used for bluetooth
    2.) How do you expect them to install it? PDAnet REQUIRES a PC to install. You can't get it installed without a PC

Your post implied that it could be used as is for bluetooth tethering which it can't.

3rd party software as in PdaNet which I linked to in that same post and you quoted?

Even if it did support BT dun directly, he would STILL need PdaNet to avoid heavy tethering costs from Sprint. Ipso facto if you want to use your Treo (700p/wx) for a modem with Sprint or Verizon, you'll need PdaNet which does support BT Dun.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456