Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cflynt View Post
    Many people are happy with it, you just have to weight the pro's and cons. Good Luck.
    Cflynt,

You posted this on the 23rd. Was wondering if you changed your mind or are also seeing the Lag issues YET?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
    Not happy with my 700p, or with POS. Am going to switch to a WM5 Samsung soon. Views based on comparison between a Sprint Treo 650 and a Sprint Treo 700p:

The Bad
    My 700p resets ONCE A DAY while running 'Phone' application! The lag between apps is slow, especially if on the web. There seem to be less developers creating apps for POS, and many of the old ones have disappeared. Bluetooth drops without cause, the 700p won't format my 1 gig sd card, for some unknown reason, I just lost all my calender events, battery life is shorter. I can only assume it's because of EvDO, and POS doesn't have a Flash plug-in, so I am unable to navigate many of the sites I visit. Kinoma player SUCKS for streaming audio or video. I frequently get insufficient bandwith error messages. I tried to beam a contact to my wife's 650 the other day, no go. Tried to send it via bluetooth, no go. I know it's the 700p that's the problem, because when I had my 650 beaming was no problem at all. Phone constantly resets while uploading or viewing pics on Picture Mail server (Sprint). No BES access, no BT voice dialing capabilities, no multi-tasking abilities (all are POS complaints).

The Good
    More memory. This is a HUGE improvement. Ironically I still generally only use up about 10mb of memory for programs. EvDO. Again, a HUGE improvement. There are sites that wouldn't even load on the 650 because of a lack of memory and slow speed that are viewable on the 700p. Ptunes is the resident MP3 Player versus Real Player on the 650.

Clearly for me the bad outweighs the good. Others have different needs and experiences. I started with a 600, went to a 650, and now the 700p. All with Sprint. I am most disappointed with the 700p. If the 650 had EvDO access, I'd go back to that if I had to choose between these two devices. Thankfully I don't, so it's off to WM5 and Samsung I go!
    BigTone,

Sorry to quote the whole thing, but it's exactly what I would have said..(Except being able to out and buy ANOTHER expensive toy...)
    I am happy with my 700p. I am on my second unit, because the first had the access loop memory problem. The new one works well for me. I have not had that many problems except with sprint trying to get my plans correct (I still use my 650 at the same time). Every time a rep fixes one problem with one phone plan, it seems to create a problem on the other, so another call. I love both my 650 and 700. I do not seem to get the skip problem while playing music with ptunes, or when watching movies with TCPMP. (testing both again as I type this). I am even about to buy the arm band holder and new headphones.

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/treo_case_revie.html

http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/11/treo_accessorie.html

After thinking about it; while plaing music waiting for the screen to cut off, I did have problem with bluetooth headsets until I purchased the palm bluetooth headset. The 3 others that worked with my 650 would not work on the 700. With the palm headset it seems to work okay now. The other problem I had with the 700 was when I sent ringtones to it from the 650 it would clip time off the end of them, so I had to recreate a bunch of them. Other than waiting for updates to some programs the 700 works well for me. Ohh.. still no skip after 3 songs with screen off.
    Palm Pro < Palm III < Palm IIIx < Palm IIIe < Palm VII < Handspring Visor < Sony PEG s320 < Kyocera 6035 < Samsung i300 < Palm TC < Sprint 650 < LifeDrive < Sprint Treo 700p < Sprint Treo 755p < Sprint Centro
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamalot View Post
    I love my 700p. Best phone available.
    Kamalot.,

What is that picture (ICON) about?
    Just to chime in, my wife and I both recently moved to Treo 700Ps. While I am coming from a standard phone, my wife is changing from a samsung i500, which _I_ actually loathed more than her due to it's poor reception and occasional bugs. She did like the i500 form factor, but on the whole she is thrilled with the 700p, which obviously does so much more. Not to belittle a device, but the i500 seems toylike in comparison to the refined and business savvy 700. The only issue we've both encountered is the irritating bluetooth disconnects on occassion. Everything else seems rock solid - phone, email, blazer, ptunes, the whole bag. Note that we haven't installed any system modifiers, etc. Just a few games, including the excellent Sky Force.
    mostly happy with it. i had to exchange for a second unit due to speaker malfunction. but other than that glitch, pretty happy with it. now that i got the tethering to work, it's a bliss.
    Treo 700p--> New to Treo Pro (SERO)
    GO BEARS!!!
    Very pleased with my 700p. I bought it in late July, and was without problems until this past weekend. I was checking email/web a lot on Friday (every 5 minutes or so going back and forth) and got caught into a booting up loop (palm logo). I needed to do a hard reboot which wiped out everything).

After hotsynching, nearly everything was restored fully. Only problem was some settings on 3rd party software needed to be reset. No biggie
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    ...Bluetooth connectivity issues which only seem to pop up sometimes after the Treo and headset get separated and lose contact, and you try to repair the two. The problem is that either the 700p won't repair (no headphone icon for the BT indicator) or it will seemingly repair, but when you make/receive a call, the audio does not play in the BT headset (or on the Treo handset), but the treo does connect the call to the headset. In either of these cases, a soft reset usually fixes the problem (especially if the BT headset is also rebooted!)...
    Thanks for this tip. I had this happen with a Motorola HS-850 and could not figure out how to fix it. (Figured I must just be stupid ;-). Thanks for showing me the way around the problem. Hopefully it will work! -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I am not happy that I have a phone that is basically the same phone that was released 3 years ago. Treo 600, 650, 700, 780, 750 - WOW what progress, innovation & forward thinking. Yeah I am about as happy as a pedofile in an old folks home.
    Could I be happier? Sure...I think we all could think of something to make the 700p better, but realistically looking at where I've come from on my first smartphone, the I300...it's outstanding. I get a couple of resets here & there and sometimes I go blind looking at a white screen, but overall I'm happy.

I would challenge anyone who is totally unhappy with it to go and develop your own brand of smartphone and then let us know how the quality comes out. If you can do better then I'd recommend going into business.

Just my 2 cents.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com View Post
    When I got my 700p, I simply performed a restore (using BackupMan) from my 650. I figured there'd be some software issues (and there are a few). ...

Apps I use daily (on both devices unless indicated):

... BackupMan, ....
    I'm coming from a 600. I didn't think that BackupMan was compatible with 650 and 700. (I guess I was wrong.) I'll look into this. -- thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cflynt View Post
    ... most of the problems are caused by 3rd party apps that aren't quite ready for the 700p yet or are still in beta. ...
    Hasn't the 700p been out for like 4-5 months? You'ld think most developers would have worked out the kinks and updated their apps within this amount of time. This is my first dbcache device, so maybe reinstalling apps from scratch (rather than letting the treo 700p desktop install do it) is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I love my 700P. I've had it for about 4 months and it's a huge upgrade from the 600 for me (which I also loved). No regrets at all. I removed Versamail and have chattermail installed and I really do feel that's the main culprit in the slowdown issues. My treo is quick, responsive and gets very few resets.
    I followed this advice and used ChatterEMail from the get-go. Absoltely no lag problems so far (as compared to a Treo 600).
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l View Post
    I love my 700p and I have tons of 3rd party sw including agendus pre and your call which everyone compains about. ...
    I had to turn off the "Agendus handles alarms" checkbox in Agendus Prefs in order to stop "Access Powered" reset infinite loop from occurring. Otherwise Agendus is performing better on the 700p than it did on the 600.
    If you are a Java user, be warned that BackupManager does not restore Java files. The developer has been told this three times and I have received exactly zero responses. Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I'm coming from a 600. I didn't think that BackupMan was compatible with 650 and 700. (I guess I was wrong.) I'll look into this. -- thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    If you are a Java user, be warned that BackupManager does not restore Java files. The developer has been told this three times and I have received exactly zero responses. Ben
    Thanks Ben, Yeah, it never backed up Java on treo 600 either. I can live with that limitation but it would be nice for the developer to fix it. That said, I'm considering the possibility of a new backup program on the 700p. What are you using and do you like it?

EDIT #1: I just noticed this tread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=128506
    Resco Backup seems to be the winner (along with nothing but good comments for NVBackup which is free).
    Last edited by sudoer; 11/11/2006 at 12:21 PM.
    I bought mine on October 11th 2006. I'm happier with it now than when I originally posted.

I love the fact that kinoma 4 allows me to stream youtube videos and listen to my favorite radio stations. With minitones I'm able to use my mp3's (which reside on my SD card) to create ringtones.
    I have no problems with versamail, and I reset the device every morning (with software), which seems to be a good work around for my bluetooth issues.

The hesitation moving to other screens after using blazer is something I would like to have fixed as well as being able to use voice dialing via BT.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    The lure of new choices took me to the 700wx and the Samsung 830w. A week with each (to be fair and acclimate to WM5) was all I needed to revert to the 700p.

Speed, versatility, stability and easo use ALL go the 700p by leaps. WM5 is like Windows desktop- old fashioned, unnecessarily complicated and fragmented and oh so SLOW.

If Palm OS ever ceases to exist, you'll see me at Blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeze22 View Post
    The lure of new choices took me to the 700wx and the Samsung 830w. A week with each (to be fair and acclimate to WM5) was all I needed to revert to the 700p.

Speed, versatility, stability and easo use ALL go the 700p by leaps. WM5 is like Windows desktop- old fashioned, unnecessarily complicated and fragmented and oh so SLOW.

If Palm OS ever ceases to exist, you'll see me at Blackberry.
    The irony is that you can't find one thread in the WM section of someone "switching" to PalmOS (who wasn't a previous PalmOS user).

It's only the other way around: threads of people here contemplating or actually switching to WM5 or BB.

People who are long time PalmOS users who "switch" for one-week and then go back take the easy way: stick with what you already know, since it is obviously more difficult to learn a new OS. No one learns how to use a OS, it's terminology, available software, etc in one-week. So nothing "fair" about that.

I went the other way: WM03/WM05 --> Treo 650. I found PalmOS just as troublesome as you found WM5:

- What is dbcache? (Why do I need to know this or care?)
    - Why did I just loose all my preferences and registrations?
    - How and why am I in a "reset loop"?
    - How do I just uninstall an app w/out 3rd party software?
    - Can't I just drag files onto my SD card from my PC?
    - Why can't I just install to my SD card?
    - Where are all my files exactly?
    - How do I get appointments to overlap days?

The difference is I stuck with PalmOS for 6 months by which time I learned about YAHM, PrefDoctor, dbcache, frequent backups, Chatter, etc and I learned to appreciate some aspects of 5.4.2.

Ultimately though I went back to WM5 (700wx) and I cringe when I look at PalmOS now: I feel like I'm using a Commodore.

I also don't find my 650 (even OC'd) much faster than my WX.

Bottom line is: easy of use, stability and "intuitiveness" are all relative from where you start.

Lots of PalmOS users don't like or switch to WM5. Likewise and even more so for WM5 users.
    Last edited by Malatesta; 11/12/2006 at 01:29 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Why don't I switch from a 700P to a WM5 device?

1. I already own a 700p and don't have $649.00 (or $399.00) for another device (like a 700wx).

2. I have purchased a lot of Palm Software. If I got a "free" wx today I would still have to buy a bunch of software again (like, for example, Chess, Sudoku, BeJeweled, Card Backup software, a today screen launcher, Bible software, etc.)

3. I'm not convinced I would like it more (than Palm OS) or think it's that much better.

Let's say I do shell out the cash for a WX. I've "tried" Windows Mobile devices (although only for a few minutes here and there I'll grant you). I am in the middle. I don't have anything against them. They seem to work OK but I've never felt like, "Wow, I gotta have one of these."

When it's time to make a decision for a new device, I may well look at WM again. I just don't see any compelling reason at this time to bail from a device and software that I already own (and is paid for) that works OK for me.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast