Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    great except for Bluetooth... what the hell happened...
    my 650 was flawless on BT and now this new and improved model is 10 times worse.... how can that be??

other than that, works great and love the phone.
    Former I-500, Treo 600
    Former 650 User !
    Former 700p
    Now 755P
    *All Sprint*
    I am happy with mine.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm happy.
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Not quite happy...
    i love it for email and i love palm os but i think it stinks as a phone. horrible horrible speaker.
    ~bean

palm IIIxe, tungsten t, tx, and now...a treo 700P
    palm all the way.
    yes...I've had a 600, 650, and now 700P. The 700 is by far the best! With the recent of Telenav GPS...the 700P is mindblowing.
    The ONLY thing I'm really pissed about on this thing is that in the phone application I used to be able to start typing either a contact name or a phone # and the 650 would start out dialing and when it realized I wasn't dialing a phone number it switched to a contacts search. Now sadly it only does one or the other and in my case with my preference set to "typing initiates contact search" as the default...anytime I have to put in a phone number I have to remember to hit the black button before typing. A HUGE pain in the ***!
    Wondering if this missing feature is hackable???
    My 700p has bested my 650 and 600. No question about it.
    yep.
    I just posted in the 700p firmware campaign thread that I agree with the approach even though I like my 700p.

My 650 was a true POS (not "Palm OS", the other meaning). The 700p is far better, and if Palm addresses the BT, app slowness, and OS freezing when the device is searching for a signal, it will be damn near perfect.

It's too bad it's taking unhappy users threatening to post negative reviews on review sites to get Palm to pay attention.
    Palm IIIx>Palm Vx>Palm m515>Tungsten T>Tungsten C>Verizon Treo 650
    ................................StarTAC 7868W>Motorola V710>Verizon Treo 650>Treo 700p>Apple iPhone 3G
  9.    #69  
    As the instigator of this thread, I gotta throw in my $.02 now that I've had my 700p for almost a week (woo-hoo!!!)...

So far, so good - this thing is INCREDIBLE. Thankfully all my fears were unfounded - I've had no lags whatsoever (though I have seen it on store models that were no doubt abused), no lock-ups, no other issues. Mine's been rock-solid.

To be fair though, here are some qualifications for the previous paragraph:

1. I haven't installed any 3rd party apps yet (just custom ringtones I've rolled - I'm an audio guy);
    2. I haven't touched Versamail (instigator of the lag issue, apparently);
    3. I haven't tried a BT headset yet. Call me crazy, but when I'm on the phone, I want to look like it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people in public that look like they should be in the looney bin, talking to themselves - then they turn their heads and there it is - that familiar blue light. Invasion of the Borg, I suppose - not for me (other than behind tinted windows in my car, where nobody can see me!)

So there you have it. For what it's worth, this thing is blowing me away - I can't believe how much productivity is packed into this little box!

Oh, there is one big downside - the thing is a money pit! I've already spent half the unit's value on accessories, with no end in sight!
    Quote Originally Posted by wcstudio View Post

Oh, there is one big downside - the thing is a money pit! I've already spent half the unit's value on accessories, with no end in sight!
    What accessories are you buying that are costing so much?
  11.    #71  
    >What accessories are you buying that are costing so much?

Have you seen the TreoCentral store lately?!? Then there's insurance, an unlimited data plan, and of course all that 3rd party software, which will probably start causing all those lags & resets once I get my hands on it (good grief, most of the stuff I would use is $20 - $40 each!?!?)
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I suspect that if you had taken the time to rebuild you 700 from scratch, rather than doing a restore, those crashes wouldn't happen. My 700p has had only one crash, which occurred after I installed a new app. Removed that app, and it hasn't crashed since.
    I took that into account. The crashes are not enough to make me go through that procedure (yet) but a full re-install is going to happen soon as I get some time to do so. I will then make the 700p my primary phone. The biggest thing holding me back is the Outlook conduit thing. It isn't recommended to synch 2 palms with one Outlook calendar.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    other than bluetooth connectivity issues its a great device
    I second that.

Thats my only issue is the BT stack. Other than that I love this thing and it is seriously issue free for me.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I second that.

Thats my only issue is the BT stack. Other than that I love this thing and it is seriously issue free for me.
    Yes, the BT stack does crash (or cease to function as expected) occasionally. A warm reset always takes care of it, inconvenient as it may.

The larger problem (to me, anyway) is the lockups when the phone goes in and out of coverage. Bad for me because I get a weak signal in the office here and it is always switching between roam and sprint.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I love my 700p. Best phone available.
    Not happy with my 700p, or with POS. Am going to switch to a WM5 Samsung soon. Views based on comparison between a Sprint Treo 650 and a Sprint Treo 700p:

The Bad
    My 700p resets ONCE A DAY while running 'Phone' application! The lag between apps is slow, especially if on the web. There seem to be less developers creating apps for POS, and many of the old ones have disappeared. Bluetooth drops without cause, the 700p won't format my 1 gig sd card, for some unknown reason, I just lost all my calender events, battery life is shorter. I can only assume it's because of EvDO, and POS doesn't have a Flash plug-in, so I am unable to navigate many of the sites I visit. Kinoma player SUCKS for streaming audio or video. I frequently get insufficient bandwith error messages. I tried to beam a contact to my wife's 650 the other day, no go. Tried to send it via bluetooth, no go. I know it's the 700p that's the problem, because when I had my 650 beaming was no problem at all. Phone constantly resets while uploading or viewing pics on Picture Mail server (Sprint). No BES access, no BT voice dialing capabilities, no multi-tasking abilities (all are POS complaints).

The Good
    More memory. This is a HUGE improvement. Ironically I still generally only use up about 10mb of memory for programs. EvDO. Again, a HUGE improvement. There are sites that wouldn't even load on the 650 because of a lack of memory and slow speed that are viewable on the 700p. Ptunes is the resident MP3 Player versus Real Player on the 650.

Clearly for me the bad outweighs the good. Others have different needs and experiences. I started with a 600, went to a 650, and now the 700p. All with Sprint. I am most disappointed with the 700p. If the 650 had EvDO access, I'd go back to that if I had to choose between these two devices. Thankfully I don't, so it's off to WM5 and Samsung I go!
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    I have a 700p and 700wx. I still love my 700p because PIM's on Palm OS are just superior, and Chatter email. Chatter is the best application!
    Jimmie Geddes
    Bigtone, I feel ya. I'm very happy with my 700p now-it's in a drawer, deader than a doornail, and I'm currently playing with my new i830!
    Quote Originally Posted by ido View Post
    Bigtone, I feel ya. I'm very happy with my 700p now-it's in a drawer, deader than a doornail, and I'm currently playing with my new i830!
    i830 here I come!
    The pic is of my 4-year old big boy with Benny the Bull at a Bulls game

Baby girl due 5/22/08!
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
    Not happy with my 700p, or with POS. Am going to switch to a WM5 Samsung soon. Views based on comparison between a Sprint Treo 650 and a Sprint Treo 700p:

The Bad
    My 700p resets ONCE A DAY while running 'Phone' application! The lag between apps is slow, especially if on the web. There seem to be less developers creating apps for POS, and many of the old ones have disappeared. Bluetooth drops without cause, the 700p won't format my 1 gig sd card, for some unknown reason, I just lost all my calender events, battery life is shorter. I can only assume it's because of EvDO, and POS doesn't have a Flash plug-in, so I am unable to navigate many of the sites I visit. Kinoma player SUCKS for streaming audio or video. I frequently get insufficient bandwith error messages. I tried to beam a contact to my wife's 650 the other day, no go. Tried to send it via bluetooth, no go. I know it's the 700p that's the problem, because when I had my 650 beaming was no problem at all. Phone constantly resets while uploading or viewing pics on Picture Mail server (Sprint). No BES access, no BT voice dialing capabilities, no multi-tasking abilities (all are POS complaints).

The Good
    More memory. This is a HUGE improvement. Ironically I still generally only use up about 10mb of memory for programs. EvDO. Again, a HUGE improvement. There are sites that wouldn't even load on the 650 because of a lack of memory and slow speed that are viewable on the 700p. Ptunes is the resident MP3 Player versus Real Player on the 650.

Clearly for me the bad outweighs the good. Others have different needs and experiences. I started with a 600, went to a 650, and now the 700p. All with Sprint. I am most disappointed with the 700p. If the 650 had EvDO access, I'd go back to that if I had to choose between these two devices. Thankfully I don't, so it's off to WM5 and Samsung I go!
    bigtone, it seems that you and I are of the same philosophy. I am so glad that I am not the only one experiencing alot of the same issues. I have had it with POS.
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast