Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    isnt that funny. where have all you 700p lovers been. it seems this board has been nothing but 700p haters producing all the new threads.

i love my 700p and think it is every bit what i had hoped for. bluetooth is the only thing that is sub-par, but other than that, it is the perfect converged device, OS notwithstanding. Who really cares? as long as the phone is 100% rock solid and the thing is stable, its the best.
    I started out with a Sprint 600 - had it about a year and was glad to upgrade it to the 650, with it's much improved screen (that was the #1 issue). But in that, I'm now on my 3rd 650 (first 2 'worn out' -- see my tagline). Added a 700p to my account (basically, was given the phone for asking Sprint Retentions) back in June with the intention of making it my primary phone. Haven't gotten there quite yet, because I have found it extra handy to keep both around.

As for the crashing, recently I got my 650 to go for 3 weeks without a crash and during that time I don't remember having to soft-reset the device although it may have happened on occasion. Shortly thereafter, the device had to be replaced. Both 650 replacements were due to the same symptom, and it was a hardware issue (that Palm does NOT acknowlege) because I simply restored the backups to the replacement phones and the problem went away (until the hardware failed again).

When I got my 700p, I simply performed a restore (using BackupMan) from my 650. I figured there'd be some software issues (and there are a few). I then installed the Hotsync software/conduits onto a second PC I have at home and use that PC to synch the 700p to. Synch worked fine. I never copied over any files from my 650's hotsync installation on the other PC.

Since then, my 700p crashes a few times a week, but recently has stabilized. I generally get a crash/reset when there is a very weak Sprint signal and I am using my BT headset. Seldom does the unit reset when using the BT headset and in a strong signal area (but it has). In either case, the reset happens immediately when I answer or hang up a call. Again, it is rare. The other crashes all seem to be related to the Kinoma player as it tries to play a video or after playing one, but this is infrequent. I have had Blazer crash a few times, especially when I am streaming audio with PocketTunes at the same time as browsing, but this is infrequent. There used to be occasinal reset issues with either the original PTunes version on the ROM or one of its upgrades, but the newest one (3.1.8) seems to be fine.

Non-crashing issues include: Frequent lags & lockups when in weak signal areas, seemingly while the phone is looking for service or switching between providers (this happens on BOTH the 700p and 650, but seems more sluggish on the 700p), Bluetooth connectivity issues which only seem to pop up sometimes after the Treo and headset get separated and lose contact, and you try to repair the two. The problem is that either the 700p won't repair (no headphone icon for the BT indicator) or it will seemingly repair, but when you make/receive a call, the audio does not play in the BT headset (or on the Treo handset), but the treo does connect the call to the headset. In either of these cases, a soft reset usually fixes the problem (especially if the BT headset is also rebooted!)...and the fact that the 700p seems to heat up more quickly when you talk or use Vision services for extended periods. The problem is increased if the 700p is also charging the battery at the same time. Symptom (aside from the heat) is that the screen will go dark unless you increasingly turn up the brightness (option-P), which, of course, makes things even warmer. Sprint tech support has said this is a safety feature to help keep it from overheating....Finally, the only other issue for me is that the 700p's battery drains a bit faster than the 650's...For example, streaming video using the Kinoma player and ORB, I can only watch about 2 hours of video on a fully charged battery. And yes, the device is pretty warm at that point. Of course, video streaming was not available on the 650.

Software issues: The biggest incompatibility I have noticed was with VeriChat...It works, but the "keep connection" features that keep you "always online" via SMS or a constant data connection, don't work very well, if at all. That is the only remaining software issue I personally have at this point.

For me the 700p is an excellent device, just as was the 650 (exempting the hardware issues myself and other users have had), and the updated features (EvDO, streaming video, and MORE MEMORY) are much-appreciated. In fact, I would go on to say that the extra memory is probably the biggest advantage over the strapped 650. But it would be hard to choose that over EvDO. For me it was necessity.

Apps I use daily (on both devices unless indicated):

VeriChat, PTunes, CallFilter, SnapperMail(700p), Butler, Initiate, CardReader, Trip(650), BackupMan, Calendar(650), Contacts(650), Phone, Web(Blazer)

Apps I use weekly:

Salling Clicker, Camera, Camcorder, MobileDB(700p), Tasks(650), Documents(700p), Messaging(650), HotSync, Figment, SnapCalc5, Memos(650)

Apps I use monthly or less frequently:

Which brings me to your question...Yes, I am happy with my 700p!

PdaNet, Frodo, TCPMP, PacMan, Ms. PacMan, Galaga, PXAClocker.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Happy as a clam!
    Don't people get tired of these posts yet? Besides the already known problems of skipping music and general sluggishness switching between apps, I'm much happier with my 700p than my old 650.

The 700p works at least 98% of the time for me whenever called upon, and it does all the necessary things I need, plus more. The other 2% it doesn't work right, well, it's not much different than all my other gadgets that go on the fritz every so often (eg: laptops, computers, and other gadgets).

I recently had to send in my 9 month old $2500+ Sony TX670 laptop for a faulty motherboard repair. I get way more peeved when a laptop goes down on me because of all the information it holds.

A couple months ago, I had to do a hard reset because my SD card wasn't recognized. After the hard reset, I selectively put back about 70% of the same apps, and left out certain large apps that I suspected gave me problems. Ever since then, I've not had any white screens of death, nor other strange problems. My 700p has been working much better, plus my 4 GB SD card is now recognized. Still get the sluggishness switching between apps, and the skipping music, but I've already resigned myself on these minor issues.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I upgraded from my Treo600 about 4 months ago. I could not be happier. I get no resets, no lags and the high speed Internet just plain rocks. My Palm branded bluetooth headset paired on the the first try and has stayed paired ever since. I think if you do a little more research you will see that all the people that are complaining have added many hacks to their 700p as well as poorly written programs such as chatter. If you only install rock solid programs your 700p will be rock solid.
    Last edited by rc46; 10/25/2006 at 03:04 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I upgraded from my Treo600 about 4 months ago. I could not be happier. I get no resets, no lags and the high speed Internet just plain rocks. My Palm branded bluetooth headset paired on the the first tried and has stayed paired ever since. I think if you do a little more research you will see that all the people that are complaining have added many hacks to their 700p as well as poorly written programs such as chatter. If you only install rock solid programs your 700p will be rock solid.

What's poorly written about Chatter? Chatter works well on my Sprint 700p. I do get some occasional mishaps, but were all minor problems that had quick solutions.
    Casey
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    I think if you do a little more research you will see that all the people that are complaining have added many hacks to their 700p as well as poorly written programs such as chatter
    I don't think I can agree that Chatter is a poorly written program. At least my 700p works fine WITH Chatter running. I don't have any hacks installed and yes there are quirks that need to be addressed by Palm.

Great to hear another positive comment about the device.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    in love here!
    Ymeagle

Treo 700p Sprint Favorite apps in order: phone, navigator (tomtomGPS) , NV Backup, Docstogo, Versa, keycaps, minitones, PdaNet, Butler, palmPDF, volcare, AOL im, DA, BOLD MEANS FREE
    ChatterEmail has been and continues to be one of the most important programs on all of my POS devices. Not a thing wrong with it and definitely not poorly written. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    What's poorly written about Chatter? .
    How's your battery life?
    Does your P-Tunes skip when the screen is off?

The problem is chatter
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Chatter was one of the reasons why I got the 700p and not the W..

Love chatter on my 600 and even more on my 700p
    You are very, very confused. The pTunes skipping is not because of a ChatterEmail problem - it is one that is a documented problem with the operating system.

http://www.pocket-tunes.com/?page=history

Mark has done everything he can with ChatterEmail.

How's your battery life?

The problem is chatter

Change your settings, Mark has worked in some settings that greatly enhance battery life.
    How's your battery life?
    Does your P-Tunes skip when the screen is off?

The problem is chatter

Battery life in general is not any better or worse between the 700p and the 650, in my opinion. I have both units myself.

If you have Chatter always on as I do, then yes, battery life will drain a bit faster than if you didn't have it. I think this is pretty much a known fact. To offset this, I have a Seido extended life battery which I find useful. I also use mLights to turn off the keyboard lights at all times which further helps to reduce battery drain. I also have the annoying LED blinking light turned off too.

As for PTunes skipping, this is a 700p problem. The same skipping/pauses also occur on my 700p with my other various apps such as when watching movies through TCPMP and playing various arcade games. I never had this skipping/pause problem with my Treo 650. I also have Chatter both on my 700p and 650, and the skipping/pauses only happen with the 700p, but not the 650.

I have also tried turning off Chatter, but the skipping/pauses persist when playing music. I even switched to AeroPlayer instead of using PTunes thinking this might work, but alas, no luck. The combination of turning off Chatter and using AeroPlayer (instead of PTunes) does seem to help reduce the skipping/pauses when playing music, but the problem still remains no matter what I've tried.

Casey
    Casey
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyDJs.com wrote, among other things:

When I got my 700p, I simply performed a restore (using BackupMan) from my 650. I figured there'd be some software issues (and there are a few).

Since then, my 700p crashes a few times a week, but recently has stabilized.
    I suspect that if you had taken the time to rebuild you 700 from scratch, rather than doing a restore, those crashes wouldn't happen. My 700p has had only one crash, which occurred after I installed a new app. Removed that app, and it hasn't crashed since.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    i love my 700p...the only problems i have had where because im still new to the treo and i couldnt figure out how to get to the problems and now that i know where to look there arent any problems...the occassional 3 second lag is no big deal
    I really like the Treo 700p. I started with a Treo 300, upgraded to a Treo 600 and then to the 700p. All of them were good devices and all of them have a few problems, none of which outweigh the usability of the device itself.

The best example I can give is that I use the 700P as a portable computer. When I want to get weather conditions, read an RSS feed, check email, logon to a remote computer to fix a problem or get directions, I use the 700P. Occasionally the damn thing even rings and I remember it's also a phone!
    It gets as many reboot as the 650. I would have switched if I found a better phone.

My complaint is it takes longer to reboot than the 650.
    read an RSS feed, check email, logon to a remote computer to fix a problem or get directions, I use the 700P. Occasionally the damn thing even rings and I remember it's also a phone![/QUOTE]

What is an "RSS feed" ? I've seen this elsewhere and was curious.

Thanks, Casey
    Casey
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    What is an "RSS feed" ? I've seen this elsewhere and was curious.
    Try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(file_format)
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    I use Quick News. Ben
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast