View Poll Results: Would you support the following campaign to get a 700p firmware update?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

410 95.35%
  • No

20 4.65%
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like many of you, I am completely fed up with Palm's support for the 700p. Now is the time we band together to do something about it. The Xmas shopping season is nearly here and affords us great leverage if we work together.

My biggest grievance with Palm is their lack of communication with us, the loyalists who have kept them in business with our support by purchasing new model after new model for years. The form emails we have been getting back from their support are insulting to the intelligence. Some state that they are not aware of any stated problems, while others contradict those stating that Palm is aware of the problems but have no information as to when they will be fixed.

This type of communication is unreasonable and out of line with the rest of the industry. Microsoft's support site documents almost any problem they are aware of and lists patch availability, workarounds or simply states we are aware and working on the problem. They also give advanced notice of when Service Packs come out and make available advanced beta versions for those who need them sooner or want to test for them.

THE CONCEPT:
    --------------
    So the question to ask is why doesn't Palm treat us with at least the same level of respect that Micro$oft treats it's consumers?

The reason is simple: Palm fears that if they admit they have outstanding issues for a product, that it will negatively impact their sales.

The Key:If we can make Palm believe that concealing issues is more damaging to their sales than communication, they will be forced to reverse their policy.

THE CONCEPT: An Informational Campaign
    -------------
    Many people will state that if you don't like your Treo, use your dollar votes and don't buy one. Problem is, we already used those votes when we purchased our Treos. So I say let's utilize other people's dollar votes.
    We will commence an informational campaign directed at potential buyers about the problems associated with the 700p and Palm's unwillingness to address the problems for six months. We will do this by posting the information as reviews on retailer or industry websites. Please note, this is not a smear campaign. We will be posting the form letters Palm has sent us back to advise potential buyers that these are the shortcomings and if they are major issues for you, be advised of Palm's response to those issues.

THE TIMING IS RIGHT:
    ---------------------
    Palm will be hoping for strong sales during the Xmas shopping season for consumers. Now through January also marks the time many businesses will be deciding which tech products they will buy with their 2007 budget. So I think this concept will give us the most leverage to get the update.

THE PROPOSAL
    --------------
    1) First, I ask a yes vote in the attached poll from those who will support this endeavour. If there are enough we will go forward. If there is no support, then we should stop complaining.
    2) Assuming I get enough support, we will decide which retail sites we will target. Off the top of my head (and I don't know if they all have review sites or carry the Treo) are:
    - Buy.com
    - Amazon
    - Tiger Direct
    - NewEgg
    - Best Buy
    - Circuit City
    - Cnet.com
    - PC magazine (Does this have a review section)
    - Please suggest more before we finalize them.
    3) Based on the number of people who support this, we will assign sites to individuals to update. We will rotate these sites among individuals so that if for example, there are five reviews by us on a site, they will be from five different individuals as opposed to five reviews by the same person. How often we put reviews up will be determined by the number of supporters.
    4) Once organized, I will attempt to send a notice to Ed Colligan via registered U.S. mail explaining our frustration and the informational campaign we are planning to commence. I will explain to him that what we want more than even the firmware patch itself, is communication from Palm regarding the problems. That communication should be through avenues such as Treocentral, Treonauts, etc and include the following:
    A) Confirm that Palm is aware of these problems.
    B) Annouce their action plan (if any) to resolve these problems. Any such plan should include a timetable, if even only a rough estimate. In other words, we won't hold them to a specific date but we want to know whether were talking weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 4 months, etc. Just so we know something is going to get done and they have not abandoned us.
    5) The letter will include a specific date that, if no communication has been as of yet been made to the community, we will commence with the campaign. I want to give him some time but right now I am thinking the week preceding Black Friday.
    6) I will express that we would rather avoid taking this action but that it is the right of every consumer to voice the facts via whatever manner is most effective. The form letters we publish will show that for over half a year the communication device Palm has in place has been inadequate and unresponsive.

FOCUS:
    -------
    We have a better shot at getting a firmware update if we submit a short list to Palm of what needs to be fixed. So I want to limit the list to the most vital problems and that we know are specific to the 700p. In other words leaving out, WIFI card support and simply, "crashes too much" (more of just a POS problem).

I am open to suggestions but want to start the list off with these two which if fixed, we will probably indirectly fix some other issues not list.

1) Lag - What seems to be a memory access problem causes jumping from one application into another such as the Phone to lag far behind the 600 and 650 despite twice the memory and a superior processor.
    2) Bluetooth Headphone Support - Many of us have had various Bluetooth problems which the manufacturer has told us have been identified as a 700p problem and referred to Palm. Many of these headphones had no issue on the 650.

SUPPORT FROM OTHER TREO SITES:
    ----------------------------------
    I would like to recruit the users on other Treo websites by starting a (single) thread on each with a link to this thread. If you want to help, please post a reply in this thread and list which website you will post it on.

CONTACTING ED
    ----------------
    - My only idea for reaching Ed Colligan is to send the letter attention of his name to Palm's corporate headquarter with Return receipt. If someone knows a more effective way to reach Colligan, or if someone else at Palm should be contacted, please let me know. Someone could also point Palm's forum thread to this site.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Another option is for those of us who live close to the San Jose, California area. We can go to Sunny Valley (Palm HQ) and state our complains.

Al
    O.K., O.K., I don't think it would make them listen to us, but I'm game...Good Luck.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  4. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    verizon SMS freezes when delivery confirmation is returned is vital problem as well, IMO.
    also, knowing the root causes of those Access logo reset loop that renders 700p's inoperable would be nice. of course fixing them would be nice too...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
    again -- palm is the wrong entity to pressure. It is sprint and verzon where you have an ongoing business relationship and who are the only customers palm cares about when it comes to the 700p.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    good concept. It has been too long. Palm is being irresponible and unprofessional. Ilm all for it, but, whoa...why do we have to resort to this nowadays? What happenned palm?
    Also, I know you said this shouldn't be included,but, I WANT VOICEDIALING OVER BLUETOOTH. I want to safely use my 'handsfree device' with my 'smart' phone. (sorry, I had to.) . I've gone out on a limb for palm too many times. I'm tired of excuses...
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    I too am a long time supporter of Palm/Handspring and would like to see some more support. If not, I'll be moving on to a product line with better support and reliability. It's been long enough, we should have had an update or some feedback by now.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    i dont see the attached poll to vote but i am all for this idea.
  9.    #9  
    Whoa! I can't believe we have 39 supporters already in such a short timeframe. It says a lot about our feelings about Palm's support.

The poll is at the very top of the thread. Because it contains a list of users clicking Yes, please make to sure to click Yes there instead of just posting a reply. This way I won't have to browse through the entire thread to track whose with us.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 10/23/2006 at 11:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    989 Global Posts
    Yes count me in, a device in this price range should at least have a usable bluetooth
    Count me in. Palm is definitely hearing us. I have to commend Dieter for posting the editorial on TreoCentral about the 700wx SMS issue, that definitely got Palm and Sprint to look into it. They need to hear it before they'll do anything, this could help push them.
    Jimmie Geddes
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    again -- palm is the wrong entity to pressure. It is sprint and verzon where you have an ongoing business relationship and who are the only customers palm cares about when it comes to the 700p.
    Thank you for bringing this up. While Palm is the only one who can fix these issues, Sprint and Verizon can certainly leverage pressure on them if they feel their revenue will be affected as well. I would like to copy Verizon and Sprint on the letter to Colligan. Do you, or anyone, know who would be best and where we would contact them at?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Bob-C, HALLALUJAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I have just ordered my third replacement Treo700p due to the bluetooth and lag as well as the card disconnect issue. I am 100% on board with this. While many on the boards have proposed other avenues, this makes the most sense. Thanks for following through with it and I will take the time to do my part!!!!!!!
    Cigar,
    VZW 755p
    VAJA Orange Case, Custom takephone skin (Thanks NachoB), Chatter, PalmRevolt, treolauncher, and a bunch of other stuff
    Global Posts
    738 Global Posts
    I'm in!

I think we've all been very patient with Palm on this known issue. It's funny you buy an expensive Plam device then need to spend double that trying to find a BT headset that works!
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Thanks Bob-C. This is a very thought-out game plan.

May I suggest sending registered mails to Sprint and Verizon as well? I believe by now Verizon and Sprint are quite fed up with all the exchanges due to the issues with the device. I can't imagine how much $$$ do they lose by handing out free exchanges.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I'm in to Vote ..... They are nickel and diming us.. And charging big $$ for this "Super SMart Phone", It's good but could be 1000X better if they listen to their customers. I don't think I should have to upgrade to a new $$ device to solve known software issues or install hacks..

============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I'm in on this. I'm one of four people in my office who owns a treo and am surrounded by 80+ BB. Treos are known in my office as a poorly supported device from the people who makes them and that is why my co. won't adopt them. They are known for being updated by hackers before they are updated by the people who make them.
    yep, count me in!! Thanks for organizing this Bob-C. Am willing to help!
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by webedc View Post
    Thanks Bob-C. This is a very thought-out game plan.

May I suggest sending registered mails to Sprint and Verizon as well? I believe by now Verizon and Sprint are quite fed up with all the exchanges due to the issues with the device. I can't imagine how much $$$ do they lose by handing out free exchanges.
    I am planning to copy them in the letter. Any info on who to send to would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Bob-C; 10/23/2006 at 03:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by json View Post
    I'm in on this. I'm one of four people in my office who owns a treo and am surrounded by 80+ BB. Treos are known in my office as a poorly supported device from the people who makes them and that is why my co. won't adopt them. They are known for being updated by hackers before they are updated by the people who make them.
    I'm in a very similar situation. We are a small (< 10 ppl) software company. When Treo 650 rolled out the president and I 'lined up' to get the Treo. After a while the president sold his Treo and reverted to BB because of the issues. Afterwards all the co-workers got a BB instead of a Treo because of the president's bad experience. Even though I am in charge of technology in the company and have since 'upgraded' to 700p, I haven't been able to pursuade my coworkers to try another Treo. It's pretty sad.
    T R E O s t i l l R O C K S - to a certain extent
    Current: AT&T Tilt/HTC 8925/Kaiser
    Retired: AT&T Treo 750, VZW Treo 650, 700p, *700w, *700wx (* = loaner phone from Palm)
    Tried: AT&T Samsung Blackjack i607
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast