View Poll Results: Would you support the following campaign to get a 700p firmware update?

Voters
430. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

410 95.35%
  • No

20 4.65%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
  1.    #161  
    I just sent the letter with the cover letter below to as many Palm contacts as I could think of. Hopefully the @corp.Palm.com works. If anyone knows, or can correct, any of the employee email addresses, please send me a private message.

I just re-read it and can't believe I made some grammatical errors. I have a lot to do today and am in a rush so hopefully they will be ignored.

From: "Robert Caruso Jr." <BobTheGame@bdumail.com> Date:Saturday, December 02, 2006 12:14 PM
    To: <Becki.Fowler@corp.palm.com>,<Erin.Freeley@corp.palm.com>,<Ryan.Luckin@corp.palm.com>,<Dolleen.Casey @corp.palm.com>
    Subject: fw: Support Request from your Loyal Customer Base
    Attachments: Colligan Letter.pdf HTML | Plain Text | Header | Raw Content

I was unsure as to whether the following email would be filtered out before it got to the recipients so I thought I would forward it to you as well.

Thank you,

Robert Caruso

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 8:40 AM
    To: ed.colligan@corp.palm.com
    Subject: Support Request from your Loyal Customer Base

cc: Donna Dubinsky
    cc: Jeff Hawkins

Mr Colligan,

Attached is letter that I have written to you concerning issues regarding Palm's support, in particular of the 700p. To date, I have the support of nearly 400 other consumers. Many of these are consultants and IT managers whose opinion directly impacts Palm. They have become increasingly reluctant to purchase or recommend your products while this issues are outstanding. We are reaching out to you in the hope that by bringing this matter to your attention, you can resolve our issues.

The emerging story has gained the frontpage of Treocentral at the following link and I expect to continue gaining visibility and supporters progressively. A thread containing the letter and comments from supporting users is linked here. A thread containing the poll enumerating the supporters is linked here. As longtime supporters of the Palm corporation,I encourage you to read them and again ask for your help.

Sincerely,

Robert Caruso
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDude View Post
    If anyone is interested the Palm Corp email format is:

first name.last name@corp.palm.com

The above format matches three different people in my address book, so I'm very confident it is the correct format

So you could try emailing the petition to Ed Colligan using ed.colligan@corp.palm.com and see if that works.

Good luck,

RocketDude
    That's a negative, RocketDude. We have a no - go. My email got bounced straight back...

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):

Failed Recipient: donna.dubinsky@corp.palm.com
    Reason: Failed four attempts to connect to the recipients mail server. No DNS information was found for the 'corp.palm.com' domain.
    Failed Recipient: jeff.hawkins@corp.palm.com
    Reason: Failed four attempts to connect to the recipients mail server. No DNS information was found for the 'corp.palm.com' domain.
    Failed Recipient: ed.colligan@corp.palm.com
    Bob-C:

I have successfully used in the past the format:

first name.last name@palm.com

for a few Palm employees.

Might work?

Be well,

David
  4.    #164  
    Gotcha. I just sent it back out and also had the chance to clean it up.

Thx,
    Bob
    Way to go Bob!!!
    Have you heard Marillion's Marbles? www.Marillion.com

PalmPilot, Palm 512K, Palm V, Sony Clie N760C, Sony Clie NX-70V, Treo 600, Sony Ericsson P900, BlackBerry 7100t, Siemens SX1, Nokia 7710, Siemens SK65, Treo 650... Currently, Treo 700P.

Yes, I have a problem and I am trying to get help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    Thanks to Septimus for giving the letter the attention of the frontpage. I hope you have fun in Cancun meeting a couple of senoritas with a taste for margaritas.

I have been sitting back reading the letter thread and just letting it develop on its own. I am fascinated with the many ways it has developed. Hearing from so many longtime Palm users and consultants about how they can no longer recommend the 700p to anyone should make Palm wake up. Hopefully the thread is showing up on the radar of persons at Palm who can rectify the issues brought to their attention.

I would appreciate anything that can be done to increase the visibility of the letter on other sites such as Endgadget, Treonauts, Palm Info Center, etc. I am going to try emailing the letter to some of those Palm email addresses listed above today including another to their general support department. Then I am planning on sending it overnight to Colligan on Monday.

I figure we give it a couple of days to bake and see what comes out of the oven. If it doesn't look tasty, we can always escalate the visibility to other websites.

I truly believe that if we keep working at this, Palm will have no choice but to respond. Thanks to everyone for their efforts. I applaud each and every one of you.
    You're right, the development of that thread has been interesting. Bob-C, with so much feedback in that thread, I would propose that if we don't hear anything from palm in another month or two regarding this thread, that maybe we see if there are any 700p users who are lawyers who might be willing to look into the likelihood of filing a class action lawsuit for us maybe. It may seem like it *might* be too early to think about this, but at least our voices would be heard...just throwing it out there. In the end, even if they don't decide to communicate, we will all be stuck with a (after taxes) $700 device that can't perform the basic bluetooth functionality of a free cingular phone.

PS - bob...do you have AIM or any other IM name?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    That's a negative, RocketDude. We have a no - go. My email got bounced straight back...

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s):

Failed Recipient: donna.dubinsky@corp.palm.com
    Failed Recipient: jeff.hawkins@corp.palm.com
    Failed Recipient: ed.colligan@corp.palm.com

Ed Coligan's email address is ed.colligan@palm.com.

Palm has changed their domain three different times.

It first was palm.com then corp.palm.com and now it's back to palm.com.

I hope this helps.

I got your email and will reply back with both of the email addresses for the Escalation Engineers. I think it would be better if you sent them the email since you are the one driving this machine. Good luck and great job! :-)
  8.    #168  
    I updated the cover letter and resent it. It is listed below. I got the following bounce back letter which made no mention of Ed, Jeff or Donna's email address being invalid. So I think the message got through to the three of them.

I will be looking for your email with the engineers address and forward it to them as well.

I do not have an IM address.

To: <ed.colligan@palm.com>
    CC: <jeff.hawkins@palm.com>,<donna.dubinsky@palm.com>,<becki.fowler@palm.com>,<ryan.luckin@palm.com>,<er in.freeley@palm.com>,<dolleen.casey@palm.com>
    Subject: Support Request from your Loyal Customer Base
    Attachments: Colligan Letter.pdf HTML | Plain Text | Header | Raw Content

Mr Colligan,

Attached is a letter to you concerning Palm support issues, in particular that of the 700p. The letter has been posted at Treocentral and to date, has the pledged support of nearly 400 users. Many of these are consultants and IT managers whose opinion directly impacts Palm sales. They have become increasingly unable to either purchase or recommend your products while these issues are outstanding. We are reaching out to you in the hope that by bringing this matter to your attention, our concerns can be resolved.

The emerging story has gained the frontpage of Treocentral at the following link and I expect it to continue gaining visibility and support. A thread containing the letter and comments from supporting users is linked here. A thread containing the poll enumerating the supporters is linked here. As longtime supporters of the Palm corporation, I encourage you to read them and consider our feedback.

Sincerely,

Robert Caruso

From: postmaster@palm.com Date:Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:18 PM
    To: BobTheGame@bdumail.com
    Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
    Attachments: Attachment 1, Attachment 2.eml HTML | Plain Text | Header | Raw Content

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

becki.fowler@palm.com
    dolleen.casey@palm.com
    erin.freeley@palm.com
    ryan.luckin@palm.com
    Can someone please explain to me why the members at mytreo.net are so against trying to get palm to fix the problems with their devices?

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,42837.0.html
    Brainwashed?

They obviously have not seen the email sent out by Eye-Fi to members on the Eye-Fi mailing list (see my post on the other thread). Palm basically said that there was a bug with how NetLib handles hardware and implied that they are not going to do anything about it. Basically they just threw out many of Eye-Fi's customers, a hurt for the community.

Palm's problem (more recently) is that they think that they are a perfect smartphone company, and like any other large (well, I guess the definition of large varies) US corporation they think they know what is best for the customers and they think they know what we want. I have yet to see Palm put out a survey stating "What you want in the next Treo." As a software developer, I can tell you, this is the best way to find out what people want.

I think it is the lack of communication that has us bugged. We have no idea if Palm is even looking at updates, and what they are looking at. They seem to like WM customers over PalmOS customers.

I think they people at MyTreo think that just because they are not experiencing problems that others are not either, and that there are not other things to be bugged about.

Maybe I should have just gotten an Nokia E70...
  11.    #171  
    Thanks for posting that link to mytreo.net. I found it very entertaining. All I can say is that this is America and everyone is entitled to their opinion. If the five people over on Treo.net disagree with the campagin, I respect that.

I certainly do agree with Feico Mol. "The world isn't going to stop turning", if these problems don't get fixed by Palm. Fortunately, no one in this thread ever made such a silly statement. I certainly never did. I am also skeptical that any of the critics on that site are involved themselves in any causes that prevent the world from stopping to turn! Especially when the moderator has such a fascination with Mr. T that he not only users his avatar but attempts to talk like him in his posts. I pity the fool!
    Last edited by Bob-C; 12/04/2006 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Ligthened up in the morning.
    If people at mytreo.net are not having issues then they are either residing in some alternate universe where the 700p works properly or they are actually talking about some other phone. The 700p definitely has issues, the longer you use it (and in a wide variety of venues) the more likely you are to run into them. There are major bugs with the bluetooth (I can be virtually guaranteed that my JX-10 will disconnect within five minutes of ending a phonecall), and there are some definite performance issues (and I have very few applications on my phone right now). BTW, I know someone at corporate management level in Sprint who owns a 700p and was completely sick of dealing with the bluetooth issues (and this was with Palm's own headset) to the point of ditching the phone for something else.

In general, what I've noticed with the 700p is the same thing that some others have noted. If you have very good reception in your area you won't have any issues, but when I've gone traveling to area's where the reception is spotty the 700p becomes significantly more unstable and sluggish. Chances are that the people complaining about the more significant issues live in these areas, while those who have fewer issues are living in areas with very dense coverage.

Don't get me wrong, there is a lot to like about the 700p, I recently got a chance to help someone set up an Cingular 8525 which is a nice WM based phone, and was thinking how much of an easier time that person (who was only somewhat technically inclined) would have with a Palm OS based phone instead. But of course with the outstanding issues I could not with a clear conscience recommend they actually get one. Frankly it's just frustrating to see something with the potential to be a great phone be crippled by these sort of issues.

So yes, Palm really needs to get a fix out. Six months is a long time to wait for an update for these types of issues given that these phone's average typical lifespans are usually a year or two. I think what everyone here is ligitimately concerned about at this point is that their wait to have these issues be fixed may ultimately be in vain. It would be nice if Palm could formally acknowledge the issue and give some sort of assurance that there will be a fix, or if there won't be a fix, let people know now so that they don't waste anymore time waiting around for one and if need be, move one to another solution that better serves their needs.
    I like how the problems I've had have been dimissed my Alli from mtdn as operator error.

I was talking on the phone, another call came in, before I could even see who it was, the phone reset. How was that my fault?

I was on a call, another call came in, I switched over, talked to that person, ended the call with that person, switched back to the primary call, the screen still read that the second call was on hold when I know it wasn't. (keep in mind the screen doesn't give the option to disconnect from one call or the other, it only gives the option to hang-up all.

I was on a call, hit flash to make another call, ended the call, the screen never updated, it had the appearance that both calls were still connected.
    I don't know if any of you have noticed, but the call screen has issues with updating.

I get a lag when sending text messages. Right in the middle of typing, it just pauses for up to 1 minute. I have no apps set to connect or update, so I don't understand what other application the treo could be switching to/from during those times.

I've notice my bluetooth problems occur mostly after turning bluetooth off on the treo. I no longer turn it off.

I don't see how any of those problems are operator errors.
  14.    #174  
    I was offended by those comments she posted as well. I originally responded above but this morning editted all mention of her out of the response. It's just not worth us getting distracted over.
    For the sake of showing you my usual avatar which I'm certain you will like even less, let me make one post here. I had to reset my password because it's been a while.

Good luck with the letter Bob. I'm convinced you're doing the community a great job.
    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why the members at mytreo.net are so against trying to get palm to fix the problems with their devices?

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,42837.0.html
    pool_shark

I find your question interesting and a little presumptive on your part. You appear to believe that everyone that purchased a 700p has the same exact problems as you and some others have.

What CDMA version do you have? Sprint or Verizon. I have a Sprint 700p and I do not have any of the phone issues you mentioned in another post.

I have not noticed any texting delay you mentioned also.

I also do not have the bluetooth issues some others have mentioned. I use a Moto H700 headset. The headset stays connected at all times, except when I turn it off or plug it in to charge it.

If I turn it off and turn it back on, it reconnects and the same is true after removing it from the charger.

I can tether via BT Dun connection without issue using a Widcom blue tooth dongle and driver on the PC.

I can transfer files to my 650 and visa versa without any problems or transfer files with bt to or from the PC also.

If I turn bt off on the 700p, it will reconnect to the other devises when I turn it back on. There is a delay of a few seconds when reconnecting to the headset after turning bt off and back on.

I don't seem to have the lag issue some have mentioned when switching applications.

On the PTunes skipping, yes it does that on the 700p and not on the 650. Since the 650 has fat 16 and the 700p has fat 32, does this mean it is a 700p issue or could it mean that ptunes doesn't play well with fat 32. I remember seeing a thread here recently stating that ptunes was skipping on 650 devises with the fat 32 file installed. If it is a ptunes and fat 32 issue, should Normsoft fix it or should Palm fix it.

Should I think I have the same problems as others have by default because I own a 700p, or should I be happy with my 700p and continue to enjoy using it as others do?

Last edited by treotraveler; 12/04/2006 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    pool_shark

Should I think I have the same problems as others have by default because I own a 700p, or should I be happy with my 700p and continue to enjoy using it as others do?

I don't know why anyone would want you to "think" you have problems when you aren't. If you aren't having the same problems as some of us, that's great. Many of us wish we shared your experience. Should we "think" we aren't actually having problems because you aren't?

I'm puzzled why those of us who are having troubles are assumed by some to have purchased a phone above our intellectual ability to operate without problems.
    pool_shark

I find your question interesting and a little presumptive on your part. You appear to believe that everyone that purchased a 700p has the same exact problems as you and some others have.

There is a thread on mtdn about all of the problems users have listed with the 700P.
    Yet in the thread started to see if they would support trying to get palm to acknowledge the problems, they act as if those of us that are having problems road the short yellow bus to school.

Please show me where I've even come close to saying that everyone has experienced the same problems as I have.
    In all of my post it says I have had this happen.
    Where does it say everyone else or even 1 other person has had the same problems as mine?

I am not trying to tell you that you have the same problems, I'm simply telling of my problems.
    If you read on any of the treo forums, you will read about the lag, resets, and the BT problems as well.
    I've read about problems others treo owners are having that I am not, that doesn't make me think they are making it up or they are doing something wrong.

If you are not experiencing any problems good for you, but many others are.
    Maybe you should stop trying to interpret my words and simply read them.
    Last edited by pool_shark; 12/04/2006 at 06:31 PM.
    pool_shark...

I did read YOUR words, I even included YOUR quote in my post.

YOUR question, for which you asked for an answer (perhaps not the answer you wanted) is broad based.

You asked why ( I'm paraphrasing) the members of My Treo .net are so against Palm fixing problems with their Treos.

Perhaps YOU should read what YOU wrote. YOUR Question implies EVERYONE (all who own a 700p) has problems with their devises. I answered YOUR question to indicate not EVERYONE has problems, or have the same problems as others.

You asked the question, what do you want for an answer?

pool_shark...

I did read YOUR words, I even included YOUR quote in my post.

YOUR question, for which you asked for an answer (perhaps not the answer you wanted) is broad based.

You asked why ( I'm paraphrasing) the members of My Treo .net are so against Palm fixing problems with their Treos.

Perhaps YOU should read what YOU wrote. YOUR Question implies EVERYONE (all who own a 700p) has problems with their devises. I answered YOUR question to indicate not EVERYONE has problems, or have the same problems as others.

You asked the question, what do you want for an answer?

Alright Ladies, let's calm down here. Aren't we all after the same conclusion?

Anyway, MY problems are as follows:

Whenever the phone connects/disconnects to/from Verizon's cell towers for both voice and data, the phone freezes until it finishes connecting/disconnecting. This is very frustrating in areas of low reception as the phone becomes virtually unusable since it is locked while reconnecting to the towers and as soon as it connects, it loses it's connection again causing the evil cycle to continue.

Bluetooth is very unreliable. I have a Parrot hands-free device in my car, and my BB worked perfectly with it. One problem is that my treo periodically loses connection to the device. Another problem is that sometimes when a call is dropped or when I hang up while talking via the Bluetooth connection, the Parrot continues to think the Palm is connected to a conversation. This is bad since my Parrot mutes my radio, and after I'm done talking I know longer have my radio. This also makes it impossible to place another call without turning off the BT on my Treo and reconnecting it to my Parrot.

Another BT issue I have is DUN. I have the data tethering option from Verizon. I pay a lot for the feature. I only wish my phone could be more reliable in connecting to my computer. Sometimes it works fine. Other times I get "hardware failures" while trying to connect to my Treo.

All in all, the BT issues I have experienced all seem to be related to connecting/disconnecting to other BT deivices. Once a connection is established, things are hunky-dorey until disconnection comes along.

Another issue I have experienced due to poor reception is that the LAG issue I explained above seems to cause the BT issues I have also explained.

If I could wager a bet, I'd go all in and say that if Palm fixed the issue where the treo "locks up" when connecting/disconnecting from the towers, that the other issues I have experienced would be solved.

I am a software engineer and a guru techie and have an experts level of confidence in using my Palm Treo 700p, so I hope my explainations are useful and if anyone needs me to be more clear or thorough in my observations, please let me know and I will do my best to clarify them.

Nathan Washor
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast